6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   997 Turbo / GT2 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-turbo-gt2-58/)
-   -   New Suspension & Alignment Done. Track Ready! (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-turbo-gt2/264594-new-suspension-alignment-done-track-ready.html)

Doc GTO 01-08-2012 03:20 PM

New Suspension & Alignment Done. Track Ready!

7 Attachment(s)
So I got her back last week and had time to clean her up a bit. Excuse the droid camera phone shots . . . LOL.

We did the GMG World Challenge springs & sway bars, Tarret sway bar adjustable end links and offset camber mounts, GT3 lower control arms w/ 5mm solid shim, Rennline stud conversion, and new rotors with Hawk DTC-60 track pads. We also knocked out the Fabspeed V3 exhaust too boot!

Here is a before shot of the 4X4 truck stance with factory alignment:
Attachment 508893

After:
Attachment 508894

Before:
Attachment 508895

After:
Attachment 508896

The alignment is set at -2.5 degrees camber in the front and -2.0 camber inn the rear. The toe is set to 0 in the front and .14 toe in each side in the rear.

Shot of the side angle:
Attachment 508897

Just a nice reflective shot (added 6mm spacers at all 4 corners):
Attachment 508898

Pirelli Trofeo tires will be used for track duty:
Attachment 508899

vpmick 01-08-2012 05:12 PM

Doc, congrats on the suspension...car looks awesome. I would like to get your inputs and thoughts about the brake pads and tires after you have had a chance to track your car. I would be interested in any comparisons vs. other pads or tires you might have run. Good luck and I'm sure you will be very pleased with the way your car now handles.

Doc GTO 01-08-2012 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by vpmick (Post 3420482)
Doc, congrats on the suspension...car looks awesome. I would like to get your inputs and thoughts about the brake pads and tires after you have had a chance to track your car. I would be interested in any comparisons vs. other pads or tires you might have run. Good luck and I'm sure you will be very pleased with the way your car now handles.

No problem. I can tell you this on the pads, they have enough cold bite to be used on the street with confidence.

SethW 01-08-2012 05:41 PM

Man, nothing teaches you about your car like the track. Enjoy!

shtfrbrains 01-08-2012 06:49 PM

Looks great! Nice work. Enjoy!

Eric (Plug Guy) 01-08-2012 06:50 PM

Stance looks damn good.

Steamboat 01-08-2012 06:56 PM

Nice, now go whoop up on some GT3's........hilarious

speed21 01-08-2012 08:03 PM

16mm shims on the GT3 LFCA's? That's quite a lot for a turbo. The 2.5 camber setting is a good compromise for track and street although on the limit for the street tires to still wear reasonably well but did they look at the top strut mounts to get some of that neg? Going by what i was told your'e really better off taking the stock top strut mounts out, knock the studs out and turn the mounts around, refit the studs and that will get you enough adjustment from the top for 2 to 2.5 and then go easy on the shims down low for the finals.

djben 01-08-2012 11:17 PM

Nice, I have a similar setup, sans the control arms, sway bar end links and spacers. I'm thinking about doing spacers next, I just don't want to have any major rubbing issues. Don't recall what my camber is set to but I think it might be a few tenths less than what you went with.

I did go with the GMG dog bones and toe links, though. I read a good bit about suspension geometry changing mid-corner with the stock setup and that coupled with the extra adjustability lead me to pull the trigger on them.

My next mod is probably going to be upgraded shifter cables.

Try to get out there while we still have cooler weather :)

GTRNICK 01-09-2012 02:01 AM

Looking good!

Doc GTO 01-09-2012 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by speed21 (Post 3420620)
16mm shims on the GT3 LFCA's? That's quite a lot for a turbo. The 2.5 camber setting is a good compromise for track and street although on the limit for the street tires to still wear reasonably well but did they look at the top strut mounts to get some of that neg? Going by what i was told your'e really better off taking the stock top strut mounts out, knock the studs out and turn the mounts around, refit the studs and that will get you enough adjustment from the top for 2 to 2.5 and then go easy on the shims down low for the finals.

The shim is 1 solid 16mm (from Tarret) that goes on the end of the GT3 LCA. Once in, the baseline camber will be right at about -2 and you use the factory adjustment to get the other -.5. Worked out well. Thats how my C2S was and it worked great on the track. We will see soon!

Doc GTO 01-09-2012 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Steamboat (Post 3420551)
Nice, now go whoop up on some GT3's........hilarious

That's the plan :cool: LOL, at least in theory!!!

Originally Posted by djben (Post 3420768)
Nice, I have a similar setup, sans the control arms, sway bar end links and spacers. I'm thinking about doing spacers next, I just don't want to have any major rubbing issues. Don't recall what my camber is set to but I think it might be a few tenths less than what you went with.

I did go with the GMG dog bones and toe links, though. I read a good bit about suspension geometry changing mid-corner with the stock setup and that coupled with the extra adjustability lead me to pull the trigger on them.

My next mod is probably going to be upgraded shifter cables.

Try to get out there while we still have cooler weather :)

The dog bones and toe links may be next but I wanted to get a few events under my belt and see how she does so far.

The Bogg 01-09-2012 06:24 AM

Doc, I think you started with just the GMG springs, right? I'm debating just GMG springs vs springs and sways so I'd be interested in your opinion about the change in "feel" with the sways added. My car is mainly a dd with rare track time.

Doc GTO 01-09-2012 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by The Bogg (Post 3420884)
Doc, I think you started with just the GMG springs, right? I'm debating just GMG springs vs springs and sways so I'd be interested in your opinion about the change in "feel" with the sways added. My car is mainly a dd with rare track time.

I went right to this setup over stock. My C2S was springs only. The car still rides great with the bars set to medium in the front and firm in the rear.

speed21 01-09-2012 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Doc GTO (Post 3420875)
The shim is 1 solid 16mm (from Tarret) that goes on the end of the GT3 LCA. Once in, the baseline camber will be right at about -2 and you use the factory adjustment to get the other -.5. Worked out well. Thats how my C2S was and it worked great on the track. We will see soon!

Don't mean to be alarmist here but the C2s and turbo are two different front ends. I had the same set up on my last c2s as what you are using now, achieved much the same way, but to do that on the turbo is not ideal due to the driveshafts....even the guys at porsche told me that and they set a lot of cars up for their own DE's. There is only so much movement in the velocity joints and at full lock and under track conditions it may be problematic. As i said, the correct way is to get more of that neg from the top so things aren't at the limit on the lower end (driveshafts). 16mm is a lot on the bottom plus you have altered the ride height as well which changes the game more again. Are you using 996 or 997 gt3 arms?