6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   997 Turbo / GT2 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-turbo-gt2-58/)
-   -   Mazda Laguna Seca sound limits (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-turbo-gt2/268161-mazda-laguna-seca-sound-limits.html)

Kafka997 02-18-2012 10:05 AM

Mazda Laguna Seca sound limits

Folks,

I've just registered for 3 days with Speed Ventures (great group!) at Mazda Laguna Seca. As I registered I learned that the track has "strictly enforced" sound limits of 92dbs. It's a long way from Calgary and chunk of cash to attend this event - and then get turned away without a refund for sound issues.:(

So, my question is for those who have a 997 TT with an AWE muffler and driven Mazda Laguna Seca or know someone with this car and muffer who has driven this track. Will my car with its muffer pass the sound test?

Thanks in advance.
K

Hoppity 02-18-2012 04:31 PM

I have a 2010 997.2 TT with a AWE exhaust and I was measured at 97.9 db. This was not at Mazda Laguna Seca but should give you an idea of the sound level of the car.

Kafka997 02-18-2012 04:51 PM

Thanks

Originally Posted by Hoppity (Post 3460193)
I have a 2010 997.2 TT with a AWE exhaust and I was measured at 97.9 db. This was not at Mazda Laguna Seca but should give you an idea of the sound level of the car.

Thanks very much for this - even though it's not the best of news.

I wonder how exactly they measure the sound levels at Mazda Laguna Seca?

Enjoy your 997.2 and your AWE exhaust (great products!) Hoppity!
K

TT Chris 02-18-2012 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Hoppity (Post 3460193)

When they measure DB level is there a standard distance used at the track? Do they measure WOT on straight aways?

Thank you!

Steamboat 02-18-2012 07:07 PM

Gents,
Please go to Rennlist,com and do a search, "Sound levels Laguna Seca". Or perhaps it's "Noise levels...."whatever. There is quite a bit of information. Rennlist also has a lot of track guys that don't participate on 6Speed. Put up your question on their DE/Race board and you will probably get some really good opinions.

Anyway, from what I saw on RL, Laguna takes the sound limits very seriously. Most GT3's (RS's??)won't pass with stock systems. Sharkwerks, one of this boards sponsors has developed a work around for those cars and they may be able to provide valuable advice to you.

Have you talked to the guys at AWE? Do they have any baffles or something that you can install to get by?

LS is 92 db @ 50ft. and, I think a trackside measurement - not tech. A lot depends on atmospheric conditions. You could buy an inexpensive db meter on Amazon and see where you check out. If you are >95 you are probably screwed; < 90 probably okay. In between, coin toss. Rennlist has a bunch of techniques for "beating the system" (turn your exhaust tips, lift going by, etc.) but I wouldn't count on that. Can you reinstall your original mufflers for the event? See what others have tried.

Hope it goes well for you. I've always wanted to run at LS but this requirement is a major pita. Please keep us updated. There are several of us who need this info. Good luck,

Steamboat 02-18-2012 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by TT Chris (Post 3460301)
When they measure DB level is there a standard distance used at the track? Do they measure WOT on straight aways?

Thank you!

There are a variety of techniques. Some do it at tech inspection - rev it up and see what happens; some do it along a straight away when you're at wot, some do it coming out of a corner when you're getting on the gas hard, and some move the system around just so you don't know........

It's as bad as playing keep-a-way from the county mounties! ;)

But, it's a real drag to pay for an event and then get sidelined for the weekend after you've only run a couple of laps! :(

Hoppity 02-18-2012 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by TT Chris (Post 3460301)

Thank you!

Mine was measured at Arizona Motorsports Park. They gave me no instruction and just let me on the track. I came around the corner knowing I had to be full throttle on the straight, but they had cones forcing me to the left of the track. I slowed down a bit to understand where I was going then realized I was close to the measuring device. I went full throttle only to have the pdk shift down and really get loud. Mine was probably a worst case scenario. Still full throttle was 97.9.

Steamboat 02-18-2012 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Hoppity (Post 3460358)
Mine was measured at Arizona Motorsports Park. They gave me no instruction and just let me on the track. I came around the corner knowing I had to be full throttle on the straight, but they had cones forcing me to the left of the track. I slowed down a bit to understand where I was going then realized I was close to the measuring device. I went full throttle only to have the pdk shift down and really get loud. Mine was probably a worst case scenario. Still full throttle was 97.9.

What are you running?

VID997 02-18-2012 11:04 PM

Short shift out of T5, stick to the inside line. Don't run wide and get on the gas, you'll get meatballed for sure. You can get back on the gas after passing the sound box. Its on the right hand side of the track about 300 yards past the exit of T5.

3 meatballs and you go home.

I still blow even with my ghetto LS tips if I stay on it...99.9 & 102.9 when I've done sound checks.

Good luck and don't sweat it. You can make time up else where.

http://www.vizualid.com/6speed/LS_VID_EXHAUST.jpg

http://www.vizualid.com/6speed/LSExhaustMZ02.jpg

Kafka997 02-19-2012 07:41 AM

Good info

Thanks for the info.

I don't have the stock muffler any more and recall I'm driving down from Calgary (Canada) for this event so it limits what I can carry with me. But, yes I have emailed AWE (great guys) and will talk with them. We have to keep in mind that people who work for and therefore represent companies must be careful what they say about some issues - can't make promises for obvious reasons. This is understandable. Rennlist is a great suggestion.

Knowing that the dbs are measured on track and where really helps and keeps me leaning in taking the trip. It's a great track and probably not one I will get to again, but I am a big fan of Speed Ventures and they have other great tracks. For you folks living in SoCal or neaby and getting to drive these tracks at any time of the year - wow, living the dream!
K

VID997 02-19-2012 11:38 AM

I'm running Tubi "Race" Exhaust...so its considerably louder than a 200 cell unit.

The loudest I've blown is a 105db at Thunderhill. Which I find hard to believe. The 102.9 at LS was intentional, WOT exiting T5 on the outside of the track. They will allow you sound checks/fly-bys. However, they count as one of your three meatballs. So use them wisely.

Good Luck and have fun!

Hoppity 02-19-2012 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Steamboat (Post 3460386)
What are you running?

2010 997.2 Turbo with Evoms tune and awe exhaust , no other engine mods, if that is what you are asking.

Kafka997 02-20-2012 07:48 AM

Good info

Thanks for the all good info. The info and support from this forum is always A-1.

I will follow ALL of it. First, I will buy the $35 dbs meter from Amazon and find a hill about the same gradient as the one after turn 5, get my son to stand about 50 feet away. Second, I will play with test runs at different rpm to get an idea of my dbs and how to play with them a bit.

Yup, it's a long way to drive and get turned away but at this point I think I will still plan on the trip and 3 LS days. Maybe I will just have to run the entire track at 2500 rpm ;). I forgot to mention, I'm out for the thrills and fun not to shave a few seconds off my lap times so I think it will work out. I will keep you informed of the outcome as I hope others will do. Track sounds seem to be a growing issue and as a result they closed our local track last year.

Now, if only the snow will soon stop here ......:rolleyes:

K

Kafka997 07-13-2012 01:20 PM

Worked out!

3 Attachment(s)
Attachment 182080Had a great time at Laguna Seca with Speed Ventures a couple of weeks ago. I had no trouble passing sound by not gearing down into 3rd at turn 5 and keeping it in 4th at less than 5K rpm until I was half way up the hill. Some couldn't resist stepping on it in going up the hill and got black flagged (even a stock 997TT!). Great track and great bunch of people driving.

I did get rear ended in turn 11 by a M3 young gun driving too fast and too close and probably caught up in the moment rather than paying attention. He declined to offer any contribution to the cost of my repairs for bumper and exhaust replacements (I only asked for a partial contribution for the bumper not the whole cost when I sent him the estimate). Still, nobody hurt and my car is running fine but will need a cash input as the repairs on P-cars are not for the faint hearted. Hopefully the young guy seemed nice enough and will learn from this and keep himself and others safe in the future. It happens.

Thanks for all the info folks.

K

Steamboat 07-13-2012 01:34 PM

Sorry to hear of your misfortune but it sounds like you had a great time nonetheless! Hope the repairs are as painless as possible........best,