997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Need some advice, 997.1 Turbo or 2012 Nissan GTR

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 06:50 PM
Banned
amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TT Chris
What I meant was even the 997.2 interior looks more modern than the 997.1 (I think there was an update to the interior in 2009 model..not sure) again this is just my opinion but I sit in my buddies 997.1TT often and it feels dated compared to my 997.2TT

I like technology and "gauges/gameboy" screens. Since I'm paying that much I'd rather have more and not less. Again that's just me.
Your opinion and you're certinaly entitled to it so I won't argue that.

The only differene I recall from the .1 to .2 interior is a different steering wheel and the center stack is finished in black with different shaped buttons.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:53 PM
TT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by amerlemans
Your opinion and you're certinaly entitled to it so I won't argue that.

The only differene I recall from the .1 to .2 interior is a different steering wheel and the center stack is finished in black with different shaped buttons.
No one's arguing bud. Just having a conversation

Old 05-09-2012, 06:53 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Assuming they have equal options, I personally don't see much of a difference between the interiors in the 997.1 and 997.2. The 991 however, is a entirely different story.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:58 PM
TT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
Assuming they have equal options, I personally don't see much of a difference between the interiors in the 997.1 and 997.2. The 991 however, is a entirely different story.
I have a lot of seat time in both. But I'm also very picky and ****. The smallest difference's I pick up on. But that's not a good attribute to have all the time.

Yes 991 makes me happy and sad. Happy to look at but sad that I can't afford one.

I was at the track a couple weeks ago. Freaking GTR on R-compounds was hauling *** like not other. There's some voodoo magic going on to allow that car to be so fast. Just a random thought.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:07 PM
Banned
amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TT Chris
No one's arguing bud. Just having a conversation
My use of the word arguing was not meant in the way you took it bud. Perhaps I should have used the word "debate" instead.

In any event, I don't care for the GT-R interior layout and guages and you do. That's cool.

I'm actually of the opinion of "less is more" in a car like the 997 Turbo. I think the 993 Turbo is perfect in terms of minimal "idiot options". Thats just me.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:14 PM
Salmon will become famous soon enough
If you are not going for a 6mt, it's tough not to choose the gtr.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:31 PM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
I'd go with the one you like to be in. They are both crazy supercars, but throw the magazine comparisons etc out the window, you arent a race car driver and I doubt finishing up you are going to be at the track much.
I have a 997 tip and love it. I can row the gears but picked the TIP because I didnt want too. I can row a boat too ( dang good at it, you want me in your life boat) But doesnt mean I do it.
I like the auto with the ability to shift if I want which i never do. I had SMG in other cars and put those in auto too.
So get the car you feel good in. I felt good in the 997.1 and couldnt care less about what the next guy had.
Someone told me get a Vantage, why? because so few people have them. I dont care what other people think

Old 05-09-2012, 08:44 PM
JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !
I've both cars and I prefer the TT for DD because it's much more comfortable (especially when you are in NYC). If I was you, I would pick the 09TT due to upgraded electronics (PCM3.0). The GTR is a fast car, it has all the gadgets but the interior is much inferior than the TT, you will feel more connected with the roads when you pilot the TT. In addition, the GTR has very noisy suspension, the interior cabin made random noises and my dealership cant figure where the noises come from, its quality isnt up to the Porsche. GL with you decision.

Last edited by JmanE55; 05-10-2012 at 11:40 AM.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:28 PM
Fugazi will become famous soon enoughFugazi will become famous soon enough
I was also considering a GT-R for OVER 3yrs. Go to the NAGTROC forums and do some searching. I'm(99.9%) I made the right decision on a 997.1! You can also ask this Forum alot of people have or had a GT-R.

Old 05-10-2012, 12:48 AM
timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !
Buy the Porsche you will never regret it

Old 05-10-2012, 08:24 AM
pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !
GTR: Can't deny it's one hell of a piece of engineering. But for me... No!
Not a fan of the GTR.

Looks - that subject is very subjective.
I don't like it at all, doesn't do anything for me.

Performance: the 997.2TTS out performs the 2012 GTR Black Edition (latest), numerous comparisons on Youtube/magazines by professional drivers and enthusiasts, both on launch, and mid range power. 997.1TT manual... stands no chance competing unless you throw some aftermarket goodies in it. There is simply no way a human can shift as fast and keep the boost pressurized between shifts like a double clutch auto. Re. the 997 engine... look at the torque curves and compare those to see how much more and how quickly the TT's comes on.
...have I driven a GTR, no. So take everything I say with a grain of salt. Yes I'm opinionated

Personally I think the interior looks like a kids playstation game - cheap, any way you look at it. Don't like the seats, don't like the dash, was hard pressed finding anything I liked. A Nissan - will be a Nissan. I sat in one and I felt I was back in collage, making a kegger run :P

For a $100k+ car, if a Porsche was off the table, I'd rather pick up a BMW or an Audi sports Sedan. My 2 cents.

Last edited by pureporsche; 05-10-2012 at 08:26 AM.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:03 AM
timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !
Must totally agree with Pure Porsche

Old 05-10-2012, 10:06 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
^ I could see that, if it was remotely related to the OP's question about daily driving...

(performance by professional drivers, staying in boost, launching, etc... - what kind of daily driving does he do?)

By the way, on the same article that the 997.2 TTS out-performed the GT-R (costs a little bit more than the OP's question of a 997.1, so outside those parameters as well), the reviewer stated something about driving confidence of the GT-R as opposed to the 'twitchy' TTS. Now I don't think he is going to drive that fast, ever, so it probably doesn't matter.

OP - like I said earlier, it is preference. The GT-R does make a little more noise than the tiptronic 997.1 (transmission clunking, turbo spooling, road noise from runflats, etc...).

I'm not sure if this was addressed (and would be a deal breaker for me) - are you looking at 6sp Turbo or tip? In my opinion, if you were looking for a manual clutch pedal, clearly your choice is made. If you were thinking about tiptronic, I'd favor the DCT in the GT-R any day (I'm not sure who'd prefer the tip or why).

Old 05-10-2012, 10:17 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
On other parameters, it could go one way or another, perhaps.

On esthetic ground alone, I hope the pic below helps with your decision (i.e. Good luck with your new practice - you'll have money for the Porsche soon enough, pick the other car and you'll be wondering "what if I have a Porsche," for a long time. I believe the term "fugly" was coined with the birth of the GT-R. Take the best picture of the GT-R you could find anywhere, of the front face, and post it right below mine - the answer will come to you like a lightning bolt.)

Name:  ABEE7813-2.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  145.1 KB

Last edited by cannga; 05-10-2012 at 10:43 AM.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:02 AM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
I think a GTR is like a Redhead. If you like Redheads go for it. THATS NOT A KNOCK ON ANYONE.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need some advice, 997.1 Turbo or 2012 Nissan GTR