997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Need some advice, 997.1 Turbo or 2012 Nissan GTR

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 11:05 AM
Banned
porka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant future
go with the gentlemans car - wonder which one that is

Old 05-10-2012, 11:06 AM
LeXIs3o0 is on a distinguished road
Ill be graduating soon and i plan to go out and get myself a 997. My friends suggested the GTR and i personally considered it but to me the porsche suits me better.

It all comes down to preference and what you feel more comfortable in. Go take a drive in both cars and see which you yearn for the most lol. Goodluck

Old 05-10-2012, 11:39 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by porka
go with the gentlemans car - wonder which one that is
What if he's not a gentleman?

Old 05-10-2012, 11:43 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
^ I could see that, if it was remotely related to the OP's question about daily driving...

(performance by professional drivers, staying in boost, launching, etc... - what kind of daily driving does he do?)

By the way, on the same article that the 997.2 TTS out-performed the GT-R (costs a little bit more than the OP's question of a 997.1, so outside those parameters as well), the reviewer stated something about driving confidence of the GT-R as opposed to the 'twitchy' TTS. Now I don't think he is going to drive that fast, ever, so it probably doesn't matter.

OP - like I said earlier, it is preference. The GT-R does make a little more noise than the tiptronic 997.1 (transmission clunking, turbo spooling, road noise from runflats, etc...).

I'm not sure if this was addressed (and would be a deal breaker for me) - are you looking at 6sp Turbo or tip? In my opinion, if you were looking for a manual clutch pedal, clearly your choice is made. If you were thinking about tiptronic, I'd favor the DCT in the GT-R any day (I'm not sure who'd prefer the tip or why).
Do you think the 2012/2013 GT-Rs are different than the initial factory setup? I know there are some conspiracies out there about the small incremental improvements over the last several years (i.e. the current setup is the car that should have been released), but subjective aesthetics aside, the current GT-R really shines, especially comparing to a car that is a generation behind.

Last edited by bbywu; 05-10-2012 at 11:48 AM.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:34 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bbywu
Do you think the 2012/2013 GT-Rs are different than the initial factory setup? I know there are some conspiracies out there about the small incremental improvements over the last several years (i.e. the current setup is the car that should have been released), but subjective aesthetics aside, the current GT-R really shines, especially comparing to a car that is a generation behind.
I don't think I understand your question. The 2013 GT-R is VASTLY different from the earlier MY's, in physical materials, balance/calibration, and programming logic.

Consider the 997.1 & 997.2 terms that we've applied to the outgoing 911:

2009 GT-R = R35.1.1 (CBA-R35)
2010 GT-R = R35.1.2
2011 GT-R = R35.1.3
2012 GT-R = R35.2.1 (DBA-R35) - completely new chassis code
2013 GT-R = R35.2.2

I can't wait to see the 2015 GT-R improvements... May have to update.

Last edited by jaspergtr; 05-10-2012 at 12:39 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:46 PM
The 2013 GT-R is VASTLY different from the earlier MY's, in physical materials, balance/calibration, and programming logic.
Answers my question perfectly.

Last edited by bbywu; 05-10-2012 at 02:18 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:39 PM
dinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond repute
you cannot go wrong in either case. I must say that I am a porsche fanatic, and hopefully will be able to always afford one. I will add though, since I've seen some lightly modded GTR's in action I've had the urge to get one as well.

At the track they make a novice look like a pro, things I could not do in my turbo these newbies are getting out of their GTR's, it really is a great car. No question about it.

Its a tough choice, the only thing I know for sure is..............I would not sell my turbo to get a GTR. I hope that helps you.

Old 05-10-2012, 03:41 PM
AuZZie is a jewel in the roughAuZZie is a jewel in the roughAuZZie is a jewel in the roughAuZZie is a jewel in the rough
I'm actually in the market for a 997.1 Turbo myself right now and I'm finding something a little humorous. People love to talk about the Porsche pedigree, what a drivers car it is, how much more connected you are to the car etc etc...

Yet 99.9% of the cars for sale are Automatics.

I don't disagree with any of those statements, just find it ironic.

Old 05-10-2012, 04:37 PM
Banned
porka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant future
im a 6spd guy for life - but what if i want a ferrari some day

Old 05-10-2012, 04:50 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by porka
im a 6spd guy for life - but what if i want a ferrari some day
Buy one now... And then save it for the rest of your life, so you can talk about the good ol' days, when people had this strange thing called a third pedal.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:26 PM
AuZZie is a jewel in the roughAuZZie is a jewel in the roughAuZZie is a jewel in the roughAuZZie is a jewel in the rough
Buy one now... And then save it for the rest of your life, so you can talk about the good ol' days, when people had this strange thing called a third pedal.
I feel like those "good ol' days" aren't too far off.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:27 PM
Banned
i know.. even with the porsche's yes pdk is remarkable.. but i like to control the revs

Old 05-10-2012, 07:10 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
As for next generation GT-R, IMHO the primary, and only, and most important, goal is to reduce the weight and bulkiness of this car. It is 70 lbs from 3900 lbs. I "cry" because my Turbo goes past 3500; the GT-R adds another 300-400 lbs. Weight is the enemy of automotive sports and how Nissan got to this huge number is beyond me.

Handling and power are the GT-R's highlights. The bulky body, the nasty face, and the incredible near 3900 lbs weight are its downfalls. When Nissan has corrected those 3 issues, then rest of world, watch out. I don't see it happening though.

Last edited by cannga; 05-10-2012 at 07:24 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:21 PM
Originally Posted by cannga
As for next generation GT-R, IMHO the primary, and only, and most important, goal is to reduce the weight and bulkiness of this car. It is 70 lbs from 3900 lbs.

Handling and power are the GT-R's highlights; they are fantastic. The bulky body, the nasty face, and the incredible near 3900 lbs weight are its downfalls. When Nissan has corrected those 3 issues, then rest of world, watch out.
I think Mizuno might disagree with you. He actually didn't say anything about reducing weight. He said he's furthering R&D with a racing program (researching wear, durability, etc...), and that the GT-R doesn't really have an 'end-point' goal in mind, but rather making it better, better, and better. He has no intention of ever calling it - done. If at some point, this means weight reduction, I'm sure he'll follow that. My concern is that if weight comes down, will the ride height be lower? All of those standard features that other manufacturers charge $40k for? Or will the cost go up because the materials will be different? There will be a compromise somewhere.

This, however, is slightly off-topic, because the OP asked about a 2012 GT-R, much less a 2013, 14, or R36.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:31 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
I think Mizuno might disagree with you. He actually didn't say anything about reducing weight. He said he's furthering R&D with a racing program (researching wear, durability, etc...), and that the GT-R doesn't really have an 'end-point' goal in mind, but rather making it better, better, and better. He has no intention of ever calling it - done. If at some point, this means weight reduction, I'm sure he'll follow that. My concern is that if weight comes down, will the ride height be lower? .
It's a very interesting point you bring up, but... I will surmise that any GT-R's wear and durability problems might be secondary to its weight.
The wear and tear on transmission, brake, engine, you name it, are directly proportional to the weight that the car has to stop and start. I think sooner or later, you will pay for the weight. Whether its reliablity, wear, fun factor, IMHO you are going to pay for it somewhere down the line. I would think this is the rule of automotive sports.

Mizuno may not bring up the weight reduction because he knows, and I suspect, that there is nothing he could do about it.

I don't understand about weight and ride height? Why would ride height be lower with reduced weight?

Last edited by cannga; 05-10-2012 at 07:41 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need some advice, 997.1 Turbo or 2012 Nissan GTR