997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

How to Install or Remove 997 Turbo Hydraulic Spoiler

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 12:49 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
How to Install or Remove 997 Turbo Hydraulic Spoiler

Looking to install a new spoiler in replace of your factory 997 turbo spoiler. Here are some instructions. All you need is a new Agency Power carbon GT2 spoiler and a Porsche OEM wing key or as pictured, home made pic. Our contribution

1. Make sure that the Spoiler is in the fully extended position with the help of your spoiler deployment button on the center console.

2. Locate the keyhole in the spoiler rods and the stock spoiler comes off lefty loosey you will need to have some type of spanner wrench like the one in the photo this is one that one of our technicians has made for this project but anything similar that you can get in there that fits the keyhole and wont damage anything will work fine.

3. This would be a good place to have another person in order to make sure you don’t damage the car or the spoiler while installing. Remove old spoiler using the the spanner wrench tool and install new spoiler using the righty tightey method(technical term) make sure the spoiler is on snug. You can start the spoiler on the bolt end that are attached to the spoiler rods by hand then snug them up with the spanner wrench. You don’t want this baby to come off when you’re at Mach 1 down the 101.

4. Enjoy your GT2 Style full Carbon Spoiler it will function just like your stock spoiler but more awesome and stylish. To complete that 997 project look check out the Agency Power Performance parts lineup for the 997.

and a Photo of what it looks like when painted leaving just the last edge of Carbon Visible.

Last edited by vividracing; 08-23-2012 at 01:00 PM.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:17 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Nice post Dan.

I would also add the following:

1. Painters tape to lower deck as even a taped up spanner can scuff the rear deck.

2. Using multiple pillows to force the hydraulic wing upward a few centimeters - Porsche's service manual actually identifies an inflatable balloon to push the wing upward - the same can be accomplished by stuffing pillows under the blade.

3. You can use the same spanner on the 996TT as well as on the 997TT, however, the tool that Porsche recommends is made by Hazet. The attachment is >$80, and the rod that it connects to is another $100. The advantage is that the Hazet tool is very wide, and will not scuff, mar, or crush the polished cylinder as you tighten or loosen the wing.

Old 08-24-2012, 03:48 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post2994891

I bought the tool in the above link from zdmak - forget the 100plus dollars for the hazett, the sub-20 dollar part from zdmak has a nice rubber coating so it doesn't scratch, and it works great!

Old 09-23-2012, 02:23 PM
SUB-ZERO has a spectacular aura aboutSUB-ZERO has a spectacular aura about
http://www.samstagsales.com/Porsche.htm

Here is another tool for $15.

SZ

Old 11-27-2012, 09:28 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Question for anyone about the holes in the cylinders where the removal tool pops in to turn the cylinder for removal or installation: it seems that there is an outer collar and an inner sleeve. When the car had the stock spoiler initially you couldn't see inside the cylinder until you had rotated it and then the tool "popped" in and the whole thing could be loosened. Presumably the reason for the collar rotation was to prevent ants or mosquitoes from going in but I'm trying to figure out HOW to rotate the outer sleeve in order to block off the holes. Right now they are open where the tool fits in in order to turn it. Hope that makes sense. Any help/thoughts appreciated.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:43 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
3 ways to rotate the outer collar - either by hand (very tight) or insert the tool partially so the pin doesn't go through both collars...just the outer one.

Easiest way is to use a rubber band opener:

Although, honestly, I don't think it's such a big deal to leave the hole exposed.

Last edited by bbywu; 11-27-2012 at 09:45 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:04 PM
Mike0032 is on a distinguished road
I'd recommend professional installation of these. I did one of these on our Pure Orange 997 and it was a real PITA!

Old 11-28-2012, 09:28 PM
Originally Posted by bbywu
3 ways to rotate the outer collar - either by hand (very tight) or insert the tool partially so the pin doesn't go through both collars...just the outer one.

Easiest way is to use a rubber band opener:

Although, honestly, I don't think it's such a big deal to leave the hole exposed.
Thanks Bob. Never seen that tool before, probably good for opening pickle jars. I did try to slowly back out the pin so it doesn't turn both collars but no success (I will try again). Worst case I'll just leave it as is.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by Mike0032
I'd recommend professional installation of these. I did one of these on our Pure Orange 997 and it was a real PITA!
Really? I've changed it several times with no difficulty. Didn't even need the pillows etc...

Old 11-29-2012, 03:29 AM
handdoc will become famous soon enough
i second the pillow info

helped a lot doing it alone on a 997

Old 05-27-2016, 06:22 PM
gkoulour is an unknown quantity at this point
Install Help

I'm waiting for a type II wing to come in, and I will be replacing the OEM wing when it does. Unfortunately the pictures with the install help are not showing up. Is there any way those photos can be reuploaded?

Old 05-27-2016, 07:31 PM
tomb18 is a jewel in the roughtomb18 is a jewel in the roughtomb18 is a jewel in the rough
Hi, try this one....it's all you need
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...epair-diy.html