997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Boost Leak Test 997.1 Turbo

Old 01-16-2013, 08:58 AM
Tareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant future
Exclamation Boost Leak Test 997.1 Turbo

Hey Guys,

I want to boost leak pressure test my 997.1 turbo. However I cant find anything on the forums for the 997, I know the 996 is easy to test as you can test it directly from the turbo's.

If anyone has pressure tested his 997 or can share any input on how its done I would highly appreciate it.

I will most probably have to fabricate a DIY test so any input will be great!

Some questions on my mind are:

1- Where should I initiate the pressure test? From the airbox/filter inlets (I have a fabspeed intake) or directly from the plenum?

2- Advantages of either of the above options?

3- If I test from either of the above will this be pressurizing all of the system (turbo's,headers,intercoolers etc.) ?

Thanks!

Old 04-28-2014, 11:33 AM
Duff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond repute
Bump, a search brought me here. How do people do this on the 997tt's? same as 996tt?

Old 04-28-2014, 12:08 PM
Saint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud of
Curious as well ...

Old 04-28-2014, 01:57 PM
Steve_TT has a spectacular aura aboutSteve_TT has a spectacular aura about
Old 04-30-2014, 12:08 AM
Streetgear is on a distinguished road
Guys doing a boost leak test is not hard at all if you have a little bit of Mechanical skills. I have found the easiest way to do a boost test on the 997 is having access to a lift. It can also be done on the driveway but you will need to jack and secure the rear end. When the car is in the air you will noticed the turbos are easily accessible. Remove the compressor hose on both side of the turbo. On one side you will need to make a cap. I believe it is 2.25" and on the other side you will need to make a pipe 2.25" that has a compressor fitting on it. Using your compressor start at 0 psi and slowly increase pressure to just slightly above you maximum boost that you turbo puts out. Once you have reached you maximum pressure listen for leaking air. It will be easy to tell if any of you piping or fitting are leaking as the hissing will be fairly loud. I hope to update this post in the near future showing pictures on how to do this.

The toughest part of this job is you will need to make the boost tester but the reward is worth the work... A boost leak will rob you of major power.

Last edited by Streetgear; 04-30-2014 at 12:10 AM.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:15 AM
Tareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant future
Hey Guys, I just finished leak testing my car a week ago. I made my own tools; it is really simple and cheap to make. As streetgear mentioned you will require a lift or a jack to lift the car slightly to acces the intercooler/Turbo hoses.

I will post some pictures of the process when I am on the laptop later on today.

I would also recommend testing upto 26-28 PSI as Emre's (ESmotor) recommendation; as most leaks show up over 20PSI.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:32 AM
Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !
Subscribed.

Old 05-01-2014, 01:03 AM
Thumbs up Pictures + Tools + Steps

Tools Required:

1- 1.5" PVC pipe (I purchased 1 Meter; however 60CM is way more than enough)
2- 1.5" PVC End Cap (1 for the pressure side, 1 for the non pressure side)
3- 1 standard size compressor fitting
4- PVC Glue
5- Small Saw to cut the PVC
6- Drill to create a hole to insert compressor fitting (I just passed by a tire shop and had him do it)
7- Compressor capable of 25+ PSI.
8- Jack or Lift (I used the lift at a tire shop)

Steps to create the tool:

1- Cut two pieces of PVC around 30cm to be safe (you can adjust after fitting to the hose).
2- Using the PVC glue attach 1 end cap to 1 end of each PVC (The other end of both PVC's should be empty)
3- Drill hole in one of the end caps to install the Compressor Fitting.
4- Untighten the clamp on the intercooler hose (from the turbo to intercooler) remove the hose slightly off the turbo. Repeat for other side.
5- Install the PVC pieces to both sides.
6- TIGHTEN down clamps on PVC pieces.
7- Start adding pressure from Compressor fitting side. I recommend starting at 10PSI, 15PSI, 20PSI, 25PSI DO NOT EXCEED 28PSI.

Time for creating the tool: 20-30Mins
Time for testing: 20-30Mins
Complete process: 1 Hour
Money saved in my case: 200$

My main objective was to test the intercoolers for leaks, so Emre recommended I remove the intercooler hose going from the turbo to the intercooler on both the right and left turbo's.

After removing the hoses you will push the tools into these hoses (1 side with the compressor fitting, the other with the end cap). Make sure you tighten the OEM clamp hard enough on the tool; there is always a chance that the tool can pop off and cause some damage so I recommend having one more person hold down the end cap side to be safe.

Note: I think it is very critical not to pressure test from the Y-Pipe hose into the turbo as this may cause serious damage.

I have attached the images for your reference, however if anyone has additional questions feel free to ask.

This process may harm your car; the above is based on my experience. Proceed at your own risk

NOTE: I am not an expert on this matter; so if someone would like to add some additional information that will benefit everyone please feel free to do so

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Boost Leak Test (1).JPG
Views:	950
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	368959   Click image for larger version

Name:	Boost Leak Test (2).JPG
Views:	883
Size:	1.67 MB
ID:	368960   Click image for larger version

Name:	End Cap Side.JPG
Views:	550
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	368961   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pressure Side (2).JPG
Views:	476
Size:	1.82 MB
ID:	368962   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tools.JPG
Views:	418
Size:	1.46 MB
ID:	368963  

Last edited by Tareq; 05-01-2014 at 01:07 AM.
Old 05-01-2014, 01:05 AM
Additional pictures

Some additional pictures:

Name:	PVC Glue.JPG
Views:	304
Size:	1.80 MB
ID:	368964   Click image for larger version

Name:	Boost Leak Test (3).JPG
Views:	300
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	368965   Click image for larger version

Name:	End Cap.JPG
Views:	254
Size:	2.02 MB
ID:	368966   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	368967  
Old 05-01-2014, 01:14 AM
Banned
geo0006 will become famous soon enoughgeo0006 will become famous soon enough
Awesome how to Tareq, Thank you very much.

Old 05-01-2014, 01:55 AM
Streetgear is on a distinguished road
This thread should become a sticky. The only thing I did differently was making the tester out of metal pipe. Also I find a permanent compressor fitting worked better for me. This way I can continually flow a steady 25-30 PSI.

Here is a tester I made for my SRT 4 turbo. It has a quick connector so I can hook my compressor to it. Keep in mind air leaks out slowly and naturally through the motor so I find it helpful to keep the air supply connected during the test. On this car it was tested at the input of the turbo but with our Porsche the inlet is bolted to the turbo and thus not so accessible. That is why it is easier to do it as shown by Tereg

Name:	20140430_224234_zps8a39c1ac.jpg
Views:	3681
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	368968  

Last edited by Streetgear; 05-01-2014 at 02:07 AM.
Old 05-01-2014, 02:46 AM
Saint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud of
You boost checked your car at Auto Pro? That's where I thought of taking my car as well ... What were your findings?

Old 07-22-2014, 01:44 PM
AuZZie is a jewel in the roughAuZZie is a jewel in the roughAuZZie is a jewel in the roughAuZZie is a jewel in the rough
Bringing this back from the dead. You tested from the outlet on the compressor side of the turbos rather than the inlet. Does this matter? The inlet pipe looks like a ***** to remove to that was my plan also just not sure if it makes a difference.

Old 07-22-2014, 02:41 PM
I followed the instructions given to me by Emre, I'm honestly not sure what would happen if you do it from the other side.. But I wouldn't recommend you do it until you ask someone experienced.

It honestly took me less than a minute to remove the pipe and test? You just loosen the screw (sort of a jubilee clamp, you can see one of the pics) with a screw driver and pry it out?

Are you going to test a 997 or 996?

It is a very simple and straight forward procedure.

Let me know if you have anymore questions, I will try my best to help you

Goodluck

Old 07-22-2014, 03:12 PM
AuZZie is a jewel in the roughAuZZie is a jewel in the roughAuZZie is a jewel in the roughAuZZie is a jewel in the rough
Thanks mate. The way you're doing it is using the discharge on the compressor side (so bypassing the turbos all together in the loop). Others like the threads below, are using the intake on the compressor side, so flowing through the turbos. I'm not sure what is the best way.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ig-w-pics.html
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...cs-inside.html

I would imagine your way is safer. Are the above linked threads not risking spinning the turbo with no oil supply?

Last edited by AuZZie; 07-22-2014 at 03:18 PM.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Boost Leak Test 997.1 Turbo