997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

which approach to hardwire V1?

Old 05-07-2013, 05:34 PM
scottmlew is on a distinguished road
which approach to hardwire V1?

I will be getting my 997.2TTS Friday and am already planning my V1 installation. I've read many, many threads here and elsewhere, and it seems there are 2 appraoches: wire into the fuse box (running a wire through headliner, down A pillar, etc.) or wire into the self-dimming mirror. I understand how to do each of those, but my question is: "which way is better?". I didn't see that topic explicitly addresses, and I'd appreciate input. It seems that wiring into the fuse box is more "correct", but that wiring into the mirror is simpler and a bit cleaner.

Old 05-07-2013, 05:36 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
If you don't mind tapping into the OEM wiring, use the self-dimming mirror hot wire. Shorter wire, less to tuck and hide.

Old 05-07-2013, 05:39 PM
NewTurboMan is just really niceNewTurboMan is just really niceNewTurboMan is just really niceNewTurboMan is just really nice
Just get Savvy and wire into OBD port.

No need to hard wire anything and hiding the wire takes about 5 minutes across the windshield and down the pillar.

Old 05-07-2013, 05:42 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Reasonable solution, but it's $69 versus $0.25 for a wiretap.

And in my case, I need my V1 the most when I datalog my GT2. Can't share the port.

Old 05-07-2013, 05:46 PM
NewTurboMan is just really niceNewTurboMan is just really niceNewTurboMan is just really niceNewTurboMan is just really nice
Well $50 is you buy it with the V1, and understand if you need the OBD port, but for $50 no need to tap any wiring or hardwire anything.

Old 05-07-2013, 06:55 PM
AZTurbo will become famous soon enough
I used an accessory fuse kit off the fuse panel. No cutting into the wiring and only cost me $4.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:00 PM
scottmlew is on a distinguished road
If I tap a fuse, is there a way to get the wire out of the fuse box without modifying the fuse box cover? From other posts, it seems that this is NOT possible.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:13 PM
AZTurbo will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by scottmlew
If I tap a fuse, is there a way to get the wire out of the fuse box without modifying the fuse box cover? From other posts, it seems that this is NOT possible.
You just have to make a very small notch in the side for the wire to pass through without being pinched. Honestly it is so small it is hard to see when you are looking for it.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:22 PM
handdoc will become famous soon enough
i used the g rides mirror mount and fuse kit...simple, and great install

Old 05-07-2013, 08:54 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
I had it hard wired with a hidden display. Ck out a thread I put up 2 yrs ago, or call technik1 in the sponsor banner on the right.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:09 PM
WaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond repute
I use Savvy in the OBD port and the concealed display on the steering wheel stalk. I don't want all my alerts being broadcast to everyone behind me.

Walt

Old 05-07-2013, 11:58 PM
C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !
+1 savvy. Don't get me wrong it's really east to hardwire and I've done many on past p car but the savvy is really just plug and play and easy to move and use on future cars.

Old 05-08-2013, 07:36 AM
Mark's997T will become famous soon enoughMark's997T will become famous soon enough
Just did the Savvy install. Very easy. I took my time snaking the wire around to the OBD port as you want to be sure it stays tucked. Gets really tight when the A pillar meets the windshield, but not really a problem. When you get the wire by the door be sure to put it under the rubber seal and then you're good to go.

I may try hardwiring it into the fuse box if I run into any rattles. So far, so good. Also, when you are by the OBD port you can place excess wires into a small nook, but I wonder how long it will take before things rattle down there. It may never.....

Old 05-08-2013, 07:39 AM
Originally Posted by Mark's997T
Just did the Savvy install. Very easy. I took my time snaking the wire around to the OBD port as you want to be sure it stays tucked. Gets really tight when the A pillar meets the windshield, but not really a problem. When you get the wire by the door be sure to put it under the rubber seal and then you're good to go.

I may try hardwiring it into the fuse box if I run into any rattles. So far, so good. Also, when you are by the OBD port you can place excess wires into a small nook, but I wonder how long it will take before things rattle down there. It may never.....
Could always use a wire tie and tape.

Old 05-08-2013, 04:41 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
What's the savvy, never heard of it?

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: which approach to hardwire V1?