6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   997 Turbo / GT2 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-turbo-gt2-58/)
-   -   Garage Ramps and Lift Pictures (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-turbo-gt2/327143-garage-ramps-lift-pictures.html)

therock88 01-18-2014 09:46 AM

Garage Ramps and Lift Pictures

10 Attachment(s)
Hi Guys.

Weather has been cold as crap in Illinois for a wile. We had a couple days recently where the temps got near or above freezing so I used the opportunity to finish up my Ramp/Lift project and clean out the garage from the other cars dropping snow terds on the floors!

Some members in one of my previous posts seemed interested in this, so I took some pics and posted. I built the ramps with screws, pressure treated 2x4's, 5/8" OCX plywood, Industrial low pile carpet and lots of staples :) You can get the lifts at many places at reasonable prices. You can search Google for "mid rise scissor lift"...then ignore the thong/underwear pictures and go to the automotive section :)

Center pieces are held together with door bolts and the whole assembly can be disassembled and moved when the car is up if needed. I also have two screws on each ramp portruding (the head end) from the bottom and a small 1/4" deep whole drilled in the concrete...This keeps the ramps in place when driving up and very simple solution!

Capacity is 6000 lbs. Lifts the sports cars easily...have not tried the Cayenne or X5 SUVs yet, but suspect they will pop right up too!

Enjoy.
DC

therock88 01-18-2014 09:49 AM

4 Attachment(s)
A couple more photos..

GT996 01-18-2014 10:08 AM

Very nice idea :) I might just copy it.

Andreas

ET1KTRD 01-18-2014 12:58 PM

Wow, very nice! Would you be willing to share what the cost was to build?

therock88 01-18-2014 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by ET1KTRD (Post 4027059)
Wow, very nice! Would you be willing to share what the cost was to build?

Thanks...and sure, I can give you a rough idea of what you need and the costs will obviously vary as lumber prices etc. are different everywhere. I will put something together on how it was built (I am not in the construction or drafting industry so don't expect too much:)).

Roughly I would say all the ramp supplies were under $200...List and pseudo instructions to follow. I am sure other have better ideas too, but will share my approach for what it is worth.

Will post soon...

DC

Kricci 01-18-2014 03:34 PM

Very nice work! That is a great project with awesome results.

Obviously the height of the ceiling is a limiting factor and the specs say max height of about 5 feet or so. Have you used it to perform any work yet? Curious as to what that's like, seems you might have to squat a bit to get under that, could be a hell of a leg workout! Multitasking :)

therock88 01-18-2014 04:09 PM

4 Attachment(s)
OK...here is a very rough and quick plan, but gives the general idea and you can cost from this at any building center. Again, should be around $200 or less.

For the the sloping ends, I found a drop over 18 inches was very slight and will clear the cars spoiler. Just mark back 18" from the end and use a straight edge to angle from that mark to the end of the board. The scrap piece is the exact angle and can be used where I indicated extra support.

Good luck..I hope this helps. And note measurement may vary based on the Lift and your preference,

DC

therock88 01-18-2014 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Kricci (Post 4027166)
Very nice work! That is a great project with awesome results.

Obviously the height of the ceiling is a limiting factor and the specs say max height of about 5 feet or so. Have you used it to perform any work yet? Curious as to what that's like, seems you might have to squat a bit to get under that, could be a hell of a leg workout! Multitasking :)

Yeah...Depends on what you are doing, but makes it all a lot easier. Sitting on a work stool or standing if working on wheels or nrakes..it is perfect.

It is higher than it looks in the photos...and I actually stop it just shy of hittling the openers....It seems plenty high so far....and much better than jack stands and rolling around on the floor.

I am a Beachbody coach too and have done all teh P90, Insanity, T25 etc...workouts so if I do need to quat for a while I can handle it...and maybe skip workout that day :)

DC

Kricci 01-18-2014 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by therock88 (Post 4027193)
Yeah...Depends on what you are doing, but makes it all a lot easier. Sitting on a work stool or standing if working on wheels or nrakes..it is perfect.

It is higher than it looks in the photos...and I actually stop it just shy of hittling the openers....It seems plenty high so far....and much better than jack stands and rolling around on the floor.

I am a Beachbody coach too and have done all teh P90, Insanity, T25 etc...workouts so if I do need to quat for a while I can handle it...and maybe skip workout that day :)

DC

ha ha exactly what i figured - definitely beats crawling on the floor, and perfect height for wheels and brakes for sure.

Great work - thanks for the post/info!

mattgarrett 01-19-2014 08:39 AM

Looks great!

therock88 01-19-2014 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by mattgarrett (Post 4027542)
Looks great!

Thanks!

maverickdxb 01-19-2014 09:51 AM

neat and tidy!

E55AMG 01-19-2014 11:11 AM

Really nice setup. Saw your post on Rennlist and did a search. Some went a step further and cut up the flooring to drop the lift into the concrete. Which lift did you get? Not sure if it's just the photo but there is one pic where the car looks like it's kind of tilting towards the back?

therock88 01-19-2014 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by E55AMG (Post 4027607)
Really nice setup. Saw your post on Rennlist and did a search. Some went a step further and cut up the flooring to drop the lift into the concrete. Which lift did you get? Not sure if it's just the photo but there is one pic where the car looks like it's kind of tilting towards the back?

Thanks. Yes, I considered that, but was a lot more work, and some forget to bevel one edge so you can get it out if needed. One of the nice benefits is this lift is portable...So I can move to another bay and lift the Cayenne or other cars pretty easily. Yes, at some angles it does appear to be tilted back..But it is level. It is much heavier in the back end, but the lift is very adjustable and easy to get it balanced on the 4 jack points. I also have four of the aluminum jack blocks that lock in to the jack points so it is a clean lift.

I bought an Atlas from Greg Smith Equipment in Indiana...It is relatively close and they were willing to ship for not too much and use a gate lift at my house. Many vendors will only pull it to the back of the truck...or require it to be a business address...so that limits selection a bit.

DC

ECS Tuning - Porsche 01-20-2014 09:08 AM

That looks great!! The carpet really added a nice clean look.