997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Cobb Tuning releasing AccessPort ECU Tuning device for 997.1 Turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 01:18 PM
Chkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud ofChkmgnt59 has much to be proud of
No problem, just wanted to point out the bias for everyone. I do think the product is a great idea. I know when Trey was in Dallas he and I talked a lot about his plans and where he was going with the 997. Glad you all solved some of the issues he was describing, and I'm sure its a great product.

Old 02-05-2014, 01:30 PM
AuZZie is a jewel in the roughAuZZie is a jewel in the roughAuZZie is a jewel in the roughAuZZie is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by therock88
Interesting...The other thread related to this was deleted??

Also noted that their device for the Nissan GTR is $950 - $1350 from their website, but the Porsche 997 TT version of the same device is $2500?? Have they learned of the Porsche Tax that quickly ? Wonder what goes in to a device for our cars that costs 2-3 times more than the ones for GTR?

Well...At any rate, as I mentioned in the other thread (that was deleted), this device seems a bit risky...but sounds like many are excited about it, so I will be watching in interest to see where this goes....Hopefully won't see a bunch of Crispy 997 TT's on the side of the road.....

Good luck to those who do their own tuning/tweaking.

DC
This.. You can't really blame the vendors though, it's the Porsche owners that are dumb enough to pay it so why wouldn't they try maximize profits.

There are certain things where you have to pay to play. Paying $1200 for exhaust tips that are the exact same material and "R&D" costs as a $300 set on another platform is just plain stupid.

Old 02-05-2014, 01:32 PM
93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !
Yea for $2500 you cant get a tune from a vendor and their tuning software for flashing and tuning.....I don't see how this is any sort of improvement other than it is one more vendor (at the same price point).

I don't think this has any syvecs capability so I am not sure why folks are so "excited" about it.

Old 02-05-2014, 01:50 PM
therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by longboarder
The white car has upgraded turbos but the trap speed is not indicative of it's capability. It suffered from throttle closure at 136mph about 50-100 yards before the finish line and fell on it's face....that's why it has an 1/8th MPH speed of 109 and a terminal 1/4 mile trap of only 129. If it ran all the way to the finish, it would have trapped 137-138 easy.

So.....Was that failure from the tune? Or what caused the car to shut down like that? Seems odd? Always looking to learn...

Thanks,
DC

Old 02-05-2014, 01:57 PM
therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by AuZZie
This.. You can't really blame the vendors though, it's the Porsche owners that are dumb enough to pay it so why wouldn't they try maximize profits.

There are certain things where you have to pay to play. Paying $1200 for exhaust tips that are the exact same material and "R&D" costs as a $300 set on another platform is just plain stupid.
WOW... So Porsche owners are DUMB now? And our fault things are expensive?....so we deserve it! Very nice observation...Seems pretty harsh....I am sure that will make you a lot of friends on a Porsche forum....

But you are entitled to your opinion....

So with that line of reasoning .... If you can take advantage of someone, or a group of people by price gouging them...it is their fault for being so dumb, and it is OK for you to take advantage of them.....Very Cool concept. I hope not all entities out there feel that way....but who knows..??

Interesting Comments.

DC

Last edited by therock88; 02-05-2014 at 02:13 PM.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:29 PM
AuZZie is a jewel in the roughAuZZie is a jewel in the roughAuZZie is a jewel in the roughAuZZie is a jewel in the rough
WOW... So Porsche owners are DUMB now? And our fault things are expensive?....so we deserve it! Very nice observation...Seems pretty harsh....I am sure that will make you a lot of friends on a Porsche forum....

But you are entitled to your opinion....

So with that line of reasoning .... If you can take advantage of someone, or a group of people by price gouging them...it is their fault for being so dumb, and it is OK for you to take advantage of them.....Very Cool concept. I hope not all entities out there feel that way....but who knows..??

Interesting Comments.

DC
Seriously? It's how the world works. It's called supply and demand.
If people refused to pay the prices, they couldn't charge them. Things are only worth what someone is willing to pay.

You seem pretty easily offended.....

Old 02-05-2014, 03:39 PM
Mit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by 93ls1rx7
I don't think this has any syvecs capability so I am not sure why folks are so "excited" about it.
The $2500 price (plus whatever a custom PROtuning map would cost) has a bit of a Porsche tax compared to other platforms COBB supports, but let's not pretend that it's basically the market standard for 997 Flash Tunes (the Marksi Stage 1 Tune, EVOMSit Flash Tune, FVD Brombacher Stage 1, and EPL Flash Tune).

I am not as familiar with the other Porsche stock DME tuning modules are, but I know from using COBB that it is VERY user friendly for people who like something simple & convenient. Specifically that you can have several tunes (Pump Gas Tune, E85 Tune, AutoCross/Race Track Tune, 1/4 Mile Tune, etc), you can quickly change maps where ever you are, read any fault codes, easily take data logs, ALL through the AccessPORT (which easily fits with the OBD cable in a glovebox).

I am interested to see how they work with higher boost setups, specifically if COBB be able to rewrite OEM tables or will an EBC still be necessary. Flash vs. Standalone are two very different tuning platforms that really depend on the specific build and customer's goals/desired features. Pretty obvious that Flash vs Standalone is an Apples vs. Orange comparison, but you def pay for those additional features an standalone offers. Where the COBB or any other ainstream flash cost $2-3k, a Syvecs/ProEFI/Motec costs ~$2.5k just for the EMS -- Not including the Wiring Harness, ANY Sensors, Install or Tuning.

Last edited by Mit_Boost; 02-05-2014 at 03:43 PM.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:48 PM
dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !
I run a cobb on my 335i, it cost me $700. Granted my 997 turbo has a list value that is nearly 3x the 335i, I suppose that grants it the 3x price point.

When I heard about this, I was really hoping for a sub-$1500 solution.

I am disappointed as well, but $1800+ seems to be the going rate for tuning on the pcar platform, unfortunately.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:28 PM
Nico will become famous soon enoughNico will become famous soon enough
love it. run the cobb on our 900 hp GTR and will most likely be picking it up for our 997tt as well

Old 02-06-2014, 03:42 AM
xbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond repute
I agree the price is a bit more than I hoped for, its of course a smaller customer base for the 997.1's than Evo's or BMW's, so margins need to be a bit higher (and most likely Cobb thinks P-car owners have more money than Evo owners).

One big feature benefit that deserves high lighting is logging, today using a Durametric cable and a laptop, it is far from user friendly or even practical (having a laptop in the car is a mess) and requires a co-driver. I think just the ability to log in a convenient way alone is worth quite a lot compared to the other vendors using the Durametric cable. And compared to the old-school send in your ECU companies this is lightyears easier to use (if you plan on changing mods, or switching maps etc).

And I also don't see why some of the pro tuners here wouldn't start selling the AP and support it by selling pro tunes?

Old 02-06-2014, 05:51 AM
93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !
Selling the AP and tunes for it would increase the cost....

You would be looking at $2500 for the AP and then an additional $XXXX for the tune. For the "size/ease of logging" piece of reasoning, for way less than $2500 you can buy one hell of a small tablet notebook and use that versus lugging in a giant full size laptop.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:01 AM
xbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond repute
Selling the AP and tunes for it would increase the cost....

You would be looking at $2500 for the AP and then an additional $XXXX for the tune. For the "size/ease of logging" piece of reasoning, for way less than $2500 you can buy one hell of a small tablet notebook and use that versus lugging in a giant full size laptop.
For $2500 you get access to OTS maps for your car/mods, so for most ppl its enough and you get the added logging AND the AP V3 can also function as a extra set of gauges showing boost etc etc.

I agree the price is a little more than hoped for but still beats the send in the ECU for one map you can't change or the use a usb cable hocked up to a laptop and bring a friend with you for logging.

The logs from the AP should also be supported by http://datazap.me for viewing on forms like this, much better than excel charts exported to gif's.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:42 AM
Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !
Yea for $2500 you cant get a tune from a vendor and their tuning software for flashing and tuning.....I don't see how this is any sort of improvement other than it is one more vendor (at the same price point).

I am glad to see other proven companies come into the 911 world, but the goal would be to lower the cost not higher them for a similar product.

For $500 more you have a proven/respected company in the ht 911 world offering his tune AND 63.5MM VTG UPGRADE FOR $2995!!

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ff-retail.html

Now the above is 911 progression in to great product/service for the money!

Old 02-06-2014, 12:34 PM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
I've owned two Cobb APs (both for STIs) and it is definitely the easiest tuning solution for any car on the market to work with PERIOD. For anybody that wants ease of tuning their car, there is nothing like it. That's the biggest selling point probably (including switching tunes, which takes all of 5 minutes), along with all of the logging, plus you can read/delete fault codes, and a number of other little gadgets.

Rumor has it Cobb is going exclusively into the AP and dropping their other products like exhausts, shifters, etc. The AP is definitely their biggest seller, so this makes sense, though I'm disappointed since their products were all top notch in both build quality and performance gains.

Also noted that their device for the Nissan GTR is $950 - $1350 from their website, but the Porsche 997 TT version of the same device is $2500?? Have they learned of the Porsche Tax that quickly ? Wonder what goes in to a device for our cars that costs 2-3 times more than the ones for GTR?
Originally Posted by GTRNICK
I got excited about the product till I saw the price, as for the GTR boys it so much cheaper
The price reflects the R&D that went into creating a brand new device, and I'm sure it will go down over time. This is common when new APs come out for new vehicles.

Well...At any rate, as I mentioned in the other thread (that was deleted), this device seems a bit risky...but sounds like many are excited about it, so I will be watching in interest to see where this goes....Hopefully won't see a bunch of Crispy 997 TT's on the side of the road.....
Why does it seem risky? Because you see it as a one-size-fits-all solution? Cobb maps are known to be EXTREMELY safe, and are developed and more importantly tested probably more than any other map out there. They come with specific map notes on what exact mods the maps are designed to work with, which is really the most critical thing to adhere to. They even get to the level of specifying what exact intake(s) you can use (not the design, but the actual brand / model), and I know from the Subaru world the maps are definitely picky about you making sure your mods match the map notes! This is the most frequent cause of problems with maps not working. Otherwise, like I said, the maps are known to be quite safe and do not open you up to the risk of making your car "crispy" or otherwise damaging it. At the same time, the maps are well known to produce the same power gains as you'll get from a protune (within a very small percentage).

Old 02-06-2014, 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by teflon_jones
I've owned two Cobb APs (both for STIs) and it is definitely the easiest tuning solution for any car on the market to work with PERIOD. For anybody that wants ease of tuning their car, there is nothing like it. That's the biggest selling point probably (including switching tunes, which takes all of 5 minutes), along with all of the logging, plus you can read/delete fault codes, and a number of other little gadgets.

Rumor has it Cobb is going exclusively into the AP and dropping their other products like exhausts, shifters, etc. The AP is definitely their biggest seller, so this makes sense, though I'm disappointed since their products were all top notch in both build quality and performance gains.

The price reflects the R&D that went into creating a brand new device, and I'm sure it will go down over time. This is common when new APs come out for new vehicles.

Why does it seem risky? Because you see it as a one-size-fits-all solution? Cobb maps are known to be EXTREMELY safe, and are developed and more importantly tested probably more than any other map out there. They come with specific map notes on what exact mods the maps are designed to work with, which is really the most critical thing to adhere to. They even get to the level of specifying what exact intake(s) you can use (not the design, but the actual brand / model), and I know from the Subaru world the maps are definitely picky about you making sure your mods match the map notes! This is the most frequent cause of problems with maps not working. Otherwise, like I said, the maps are known to be quite safe and do not open you up to the risk of making your car "crispy" or otherwise damaging it. At the same time, the maps are well known to produce the same power gains as you'll get from a protune (within a very small percentage).
How much experience do they have with 997 TT? That is the risky part. In my opinion....Who wants to be the guinnea pig? Of the two cars listed with the tune...One choked out and throttle cut before it got through a quarter mile.....Just sayin'

Maybe after I have seen some persisitent (good)results, and no "Crispy" 997 TT's, I might be interested and/or change my mind. Looks like they have dabbled with every make of car... and good for them, and good for anyone who trusts them....I am not buying or selling...Just my opinion. I rather trust the guys who are Porsche experts.....

But I am sure they satisfy a demographic....

Good luck!
DC

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cobb Tuning releasing AccessPort ECU Tuning device for 997.1 Turbo