997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997TT owners beware - water pump failure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 09:46 PM
au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !
I replaced mine recently and it was metal impeller

Old 10-06-2017, 07:44 AM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Turns out it was a coolant hose that tore and not the water pump. When I had my lines pinned a couple of years ago I was told the hoses were inspected and fine. Oh well. Can't get the part in time for tomorrow's track day so I guess I'll be taking the new A7 there. It's a charity lapping event not a race.

Makes me wonder if it's worth having the engine dropped and replacing all of the hoses or waiting to see if anything else happens. Can all of the hoses be inspected while the engine is in the car?

I will get the water pump changed and thermostat etc... since the car is in the shop. Indy shop recommended the Geba metal blade pump but I asked him to get the oem pump with composite blade. Not sure which is the right way to go but at least the composite is considered the oem replacement.

Old 10-06-2017, 07:46 AM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by therock88
Good luck with it. I made a DIY and posted here if that may help with the change.

HERE is the link.

DC
thanks Rock, but that's waaay beyond my comfort zone. I'm more comfortable altering human plumbing rather than Porsche plumbing.

Old 10-06-2017, 01:50 PM
nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !
When I had my coolant pipes pinned I replaced all the hoses running across the top of the engine for this reason. Some looked fine, but others had a slight bulge, and to do them all wasn’t overly expensive.

Old 10-07-2017, 07:29 PM
therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by The Bogg
thanks Rock, but that's waaay beyond my comfort zone. I'm more comfortable altering human plumbing rather than Porsche plumbing.
No worries...Just an offer Good luck with your repairs...

DC

Old 10-14-2017, 04:20 PM
I'll start a separate thread since my "problem" wasn't actually the water pump, but just for the sake of closure on this thread I'll summarize the problem:

The coolant leak and engine overheating were caused by a tear in the return coolant hose from the vtg turbos. When I had my coolant lines pinned the tech must have damaged the original hose because he substituted a non-Porsche piece of tubing that wasn't up to the challenge of heat etc... and he also used Jubilee clamps that my current shop says are wrong because they cut into the hose. I'll post a pic later.

Right now my car has a temporary replacement hose in place. It cost me 5 hours labour for diagnosis, replacement of hose and new coolant. Apparently there are more of the jubilee clamps on other lines so I'm going to have the engine dropped and get the original style clamps put on all the lines and probably all new lines. For now I am just driving around to see if the coolant level drops which may suggest a blown head gasket from the overheating that occurred. Geez I hope not but as I mentioned I stupidly drove the car a bit after the leak occurred. dumbass, lol.

Old 09-07-2018, 07:04 AM
Porsche 997.1 TT is an unknown quantity at this point
Coolant leak

Dears

I need your help finding my 997.1 TT 2007 water leak issue

the car doesn't leak much
but when the car driven hard and when it's parked and turned off the water leak appears and it's noticeable

I brought to a mecanecal shop he said that might be water pumb leak?

should I believe him or should I drop my car at porsche dealer for full check up
and that alone will cost me 200 dollars

Please share your advises and expectations

Old 09-07-2018, 09:23 AM
lliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud of
There are several points of possible failure, water pump, metal pipes, plastic pipes & hoses. Even the overflow tank can crack with heat cycling and leak.

Typically you want to look for the evidence of the leak as stained areas on the engine, or if the leak is large enough actual coolant pooling somewhere on the engine.

Sometimes the only way to find it is by cleaning the areas you can see and waiting for it to leak and re-stain the area. A USB borescope camera can help, or lights and a mirror.

Also typically, you can start with what area under the engine is showing the leak, front, back or one of the sides, and that can lead you to the source, though sometimes the leak can start on one side and leak down to the ground on another.

If you are not mechanically inclined, I would recommend paying the $200 for the inspection.

Ed

Old 09-07-2018, 10:55 AM
Porsche 997.1 TT is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by lliejk
There are several points of possible failure, water pump, metal pipes, plastic pipes & hoses. Even the overflow tank can crack with heat cycling and leak.

Typically you want to look for the evidence of the leak as stained areas on the engine, or if the leak is large enough actual coolant pooling somewhere on the engine.

Sometimes the only way to find it is by cleaning the areas you can see and waiting for it to leak and re-stain the area. A USB borescope camera can help, or lights and a mirror.

Also typically, you can start with what area under the engine is showing the leak, front, back or one of the sides, and that can lead you to the source, though sometimes the leak can start on one side and leak down to the ground on another.

If you are not mechanically inclined, I would recommend paying the $200 for the inspection.

Ed
water pump failure'
Thanks for your support

I don't think it's tank leak

The leak on the left rear tire side

It's not always leaking

We doubt
One of the pipes are leaking or the water pumb

The car only leaks after a hard or at least 1 hour drive after I park the car and turn off the engine after 30 seconds enough amount of leak appears under the engine to the left rear side

Old 09-07-2018, 02:26 PM
lliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud of
Hmmm... that is right below the overflow tank. If you can, check that plastic tank for any signs of leakage. Normally there will be a whitish pinkish dried stain on the tank, but if it's like my S6 it will be on a part of the tank you can't see while it is still in place.

I have also seen some posts where the cap to that tank itself is leaking. Again there should be residue around the cap or in the indentation that surrounds it on the top of the tank.

Ed

Old 09-07-2018, 06:46 PM
au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !
Water pump leak is rear driver side. Usually leaks when it's running. Easy fix

Old 09-08-2018, 06:33 PM
therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Porsche 997.1 TT
water pump failure'
Thanks for your support

I don't think it's tank leak

The leak on the left rear tire side

It's not always leaking

We doubt
One of the pipes are leaking or the water pumb

The car only leaks after a hard or at least 1 hour drive after I park the car and turn off the engine after 30 seconds enough amount of leak appears under the engine to the left rear side
Likely the Water pump...See picture of where they leak below...

DC

Old 09-11-2018, 10:38 AM
Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !
Is it required to remove the exhaust to change WP?

Old 09-11-2018, 11:09 AM
Hope The Rock doesn't mind me posting, but you can see his full guide here, excellently done as usual. And the short answer is yes, among other things, exhaust comes off.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...diy-guide.html

Ed

Old 09-12-2018, 06:09 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by lliejk
Hope The Rock doesn't mind me posting, but you can see his full guide here, excellently done as usual. And the short answer is yes, among other things, exhaust comes off.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...diy-guide.html

Ed
Not at all...

DC