997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

knock sensors fooled by exhaust burble

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 12:58 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
knock sensors fooled by exhaust burble

I was reviewing my datalogs from a great day at Mosport - supposedly the "fastest" track in North America. I noticed that timing was being pulled in certain places and when I looked at all the parameters I could see a pattern: about half second after I let off the throttle (either completely or partially) there would be a reading in all 6 sensor points (I believe there are really only 2 sensors) lasting about 0.2 seconds. This would occur even if I was on part throttle and then let off the throttle. Long story short, it seems to coincide with the awesome burbling noises from my catless AWE exhaust and I think that's what is triggering the knock sensor readings. On other parts of the datalog when I am absolutely beating on the car there is no knock activity or very little anyway (much less with racegas than with pumpgas, I added 3/4 tank of 98octane racegas when my tank was down to 1/4 of the 94 octane I usually use). Any thoughts/opinions?

Old 10-11-2014, 03:05 PM
GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !
Very interesting theory.

Old 10-11-2014, 04:09 PM
rix
rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !
Knock sensors don't usually get fooled very easily. The feedback system is only listening at a very narrow frequency range - and a very narrow slice of time for each cylinder.

Old 10-11-2014, 08:27 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rix
Knock sensors don't usually get fooled very easily. The feedback system is only listening at a very narrow frequency range - and a very narrow slice of time for each cylinder.
yeah I know. I thought that it was strange. I figured it must be "real" knocking until I saw that it was doing it consistently even with part-throttle acceleration followed by deceleration. Half second later there it is in the log. It coincides with the burbling so I just figured it was related. It's not often there is identical signal on all 6 of the channels.

I almost preferred the blissful ignorance of not having such detailed datalogging available via Cobb AP. Nah, I like knowing, lol.

Old 10-11-2014, 08:56 PM
garychios is a splendid one to beholdgarychios is a splendid one to beholdgarychios is a splendid one to beholdgarychios is a splendid one to beholdgarychios is a splendid one to beholdgarychios is a splendid one to beholdgarychios is a splendid one to behold
Knock sensors do not pick up exhaust noise. If they did, 2step launch would not work.

Old 10-11-2014, 10:02 PM
You guys are probably right. On second look at the logs it now seems evident that it's when I get back ON the throttle that it just briefly pulls timing (for 0.2s). For example, if I have it floored in third, lift off to shift into fourth, and floor it again it would pull timing in all channels for a brief period.