6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   997 Turbo / GT2 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-turbo-gt2-58/)
-   -   Fidelity Warranty question. (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-turbo-gt2/353704-fidelity-warranty-question.html)

Boeing Driver 12-08-2014 09:57 PM

Fidelity Warranty question.

I cannot afford the Platinum from Fidelity with a baby on the way. But I am mostly worried about big ticket engine or trans problems. I shopped around and was quoted $2100 dollars for Fidelity Engine/Powertrain warranty, 6 years 60k miles.
So my question is... does anyone have the engine/powertrain only warranty and if so is it a pretty good deal for covering the camshaft issue and other major engine stuff like that??
Also I was a quoted $2600 for the silver warranty 6 years/60k miles which I could maybe do if it was worth it but that's stretching it right now.

Thanks guys

PSTT07 12-08-2014 10:57 PM

Congrats on the incoming baby! Is your car stock? What is the current mileage and maintenance history?

Assuming it is stock and normally maintained according to the manufacturers service scheduled, I believe you should be okay without a warranty. There is always that slight chance for anything but you don't hear of engine/driveline issues with these cars.

Put whatever you can afford away for future service/maintenance and enjoy your car.

Jako 12-09-2014 12:38 AM

That is a good deal. I paid $2k for 3 years Through SAL.

Squat 12-09-2014 07:35 AM

what camshaft issue?

Boeing Driver 12-09-2014 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Squat (Post 4251459)
what camshaft issue?

P0021 code+CEL, where the variocam sleeve rotates on the camshaft.

http://rennlist.com/forums/997-turbo...-camshaft.html

w00zy 12-09-2014 11:03 AM

How many cars had that problem? 1st time I've heard of camshaft issues

Boeing Driver 12-09-2014 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by w00zy (Post 4251644)
How many cars had that problem? 1st time I've heard of camshaft issues

A very reputable Porsche engine shop owner I talked to the other night said hes seeing roughly one a month now. And in the link that I posted it sais there were 2 other cars in the shop for the same thing as his. I don't know how common it is but I know if it happens to me the wife would never go for a $7000+ maintenance bill for my "toy" with a new baby in the house.

rdrozd 12-09-2014 11:47 AM

Just noticed the tune...you sure the insurer will cover that? I know the answer of flashing back to stock, and I also know that a good technician will know you flashed the ECU. But when big buck on the line...you know nobody wants to pay.

Originally Posted by Boeing Driver (Post 4251449)
Thanks guys, my car has 27k miles and has been maintained properly up to this point. It has a giac tune and fabspeed exhaust. I know they are pretty reliable but I worry about stuff like the camshaft issue that's starting to show up on these cars and could cost $7000+ to fix.

Boeing Driver 12-09-2014 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by rdrozd (Post 4251679)
Just noticed the tune...you sure the insurer will cover that? I know the answer of flashing back to stock, and I also know that a good technician will know you flashed the ECU. But when big buck on the line...you know nobody wants to pay.

Yea, I was thinking about that as well. Just about everyone on these forums has an exhaust and tune it seems, do they have fidelity warranty??

brent95m3 12-09-2014 02:00 PM

I have a Fidelity Warranty - Platinum. Car is still CPO for another 8 months so it won't really become relevant until August of next year. My dad has had good coverage on his R8 with the same plan and he has an exhaust on his which the Fidelity rep was aware of prior to approving some (unrelated) warranty work.

Boeing Driver 12-09-2014 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by brent95m3 (Post 4251792)
I have a Fidelity Warranty - Platinum. Car is still CPO for another 8 months so it won't really become relevant until August of next year. My dad has had good coverage on his R8 with the same plan and he has an exhaust on his which the Fidelity rep was aware of prior to approving some (unrelated) warranty work.

Ok, so the lady I got the quote from was actually at a Nissan dealer near my home. She said the car would have to have an inspection done to verify no pre-existing conditions. Do you have to do that at a Porsche dealer or can my independent Porsche mech do it?? And then im assuming you disclose the fact that you have a tune and exhaust so they don't freak out if something does go wrong down the road?

brent95m3 12-09-2014 02:08 PM

I wouldn't disclose the tune or exhaust. Let them do the inspection which leaves the responsibility on them (somewhat) to find that.

Boeing Driver 12-09-2014 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by brent95m3 (Post 4251802)
I wouldn't disclose the tune or exhaust. Let them do the inspection which leaves the responsibility on them (somewhat) to find that.

Yea but then you get the..... "this fix is gonna cost 5000 dollars and you didn't tell us you had that stuff so, fuggedaboutit!!"

brent95m3 12-09-2014 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Boeing Driver (Post 4251852)
Yea but then you get the..... "this fix is gonna cost 5000 dollars and you didn't tell us you had that stuff so, fuggedaboutit!!"

I think you have more plausible deniability if they aren't disclosed and they do their own third party inspection.

512bb 12-09-2014 03:30 PM

So far I have had a good experience with Fidelity. My car is highly modified and the crap that has gone bad so far have been, radiators, starter motor, horn and etc. The engine has been solid so far! I would get the longest and most inclusive warranty you can get as these cars are not cheap to fix and not much can be done DIY.