997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

TheRock's 997.1 TT Spark Plug / Coils DIY Guide - Updated

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 07:57 PM
therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Quadcammer
CRG, any tips on doing this without loosening the headers?

I've done a lot of work on my cars, but for whatever reason, I'm dreading this one.
If you do not want to loosen the headers, just make sure you have good wobble extensions and you should be OK. You just want to be careful not to get them in a bind and begin cross-threading the plugs...So just take your time and be careful...once they are started, you should have no issues.

Good luck.
DC

Old 01-04-2016, 09:19 PM
saabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond repute
Agree, the key is the correct tools..wobble extensions and ball-end Torx sockets.

Old 01-05-2016, 12:44 AM
crgf1k is a name known to allcrgf1k is a name known to allcrgf1k is a name known to allcrgf1k is a name known to allcrgf1k is a name known to allcrgf1k is a name known to all
Just a side-note. The bolts on all of the coils were just barely snugged up...little more than finger tight. The car was relatively new to me at the time with around 130,000kms on it and the coils I took out looked like new. After I completed the entire job, the thought occurred to me that maybe an experienced Porsche mechanic intentionally left them loose to allow room for them to expand and contract without cracking. I have seen some pictures of badly cracked coils. Anyway I tightened up the new ones so I'll see what happens.

Old 01-05-2016, 06:33 AM
therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by crgf1k
Just a side-note. The bolts on all of the coils were just barely snugged up...little more than finger tight. The car was relatively new to me at the time with around 130,000kms on it and the coils I took out looked like new. After I completed the entire job, the thought occurred to me that maybe an experienced Porsche mechanic intentionally left them loose to allow room for them to expand and contract without cracking. I have seen some pictures of badly cracked coils. Anyway I tightened up the new ones so I'll see what happens.
Good point...The correct torque is important and listed below:

Inner Torx screw securing ignition coil to cylinder head torque (7.5 ftlb.)/10 Nm.

DC

Old 01-05-2016, 06:46 AM
Quadcammer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by therock88
If you do not want to loosen the headers, just make sure you have good wobble extensions and you should be OK. You just want to be careful not to get them in a bind and begin cross-threading the plugs...So just take your time and be careful...once they are started, you should have no issues.

Good luck.
DC
Thanks all. I apologize for all the hand holding I need on this, but for some reason I'm intimidated.

Have the ball end torx coming from the UK and I have a full wobble set.

Old 01-05-2016, 07:37 AM
saabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks all. I apologize for all the hand holding I need on this, but for some reason I'm intimidated.

You shouldn't be.. as Rock says, take your time and it's not bad.. as I said in a previous thread, I'd rather do my plugs again than do the GT2RS intercooler custom install over again

Old 01-05-2016, 10:21 AM
Brettg06878 will become famous soon enoughBrettg06878 will become famous soon enough
I'm a relatively new member & just purchased my first Porsche - 2010 PDK Turbo Cab.
I enjoy working on my car as much as most of the members and recently embraced the infamous spark plug change.
I have to admit I was a bit apprehensive and relied on several forums to educate me prior to moving forward, the Rock's post was invaluable.

I was surprised to see that it wasn't necessarily easy but was not terribly difficult. Take your time and refer to the information shared by those who have been down the same road. In my experience the drivers side was relatively easy - I had access to the plugs.
The passenger side was a bit more difficult especially the center plug. Definitely remove the VTG which will allow you to gain access to the coil and corresponding plug.
Good luck and reach out if you need any insight.

Brett

Old 01-05-2016, 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by Brettg06878
I'm a relatively new member & just purchased my first Porsche - 2010 PDK Turbo Cab.
I enjoy working on my car as much as most of the members and recently embraced the infamous spark plug change.
I have to admit I was a bit apprehensive and relied on several forums to educate me prior to moving forward, the Rock's post was invaluable.

I was surprised to see that it wasn't necessarily easy but was not terribly difficult. Take your time and refer to the information shared by those who have been down the same road. In my experience the drivers side was relatively easy - I had access to the plugs.
The passenger side was a bit more difficult especially the center plug. Definitely remove the VTG which will allow you to gain access to the coil and corresponding plug.
Good luck and reach out if you need any insight.

Brett
Glad it helped Brett. Do note, that you have a 2010, so a 997.2, and they are a bit easier to do the plugs on. The 997.1 TT owners have the distinction of the hardest f'ing plugs in the world to change

DC

Old 01-09-2016, 07:53 PM
Duckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by therock88
Glad it helped Brett. Do note, that you have a 2010, so a 997.2, and they are a bit easier to do the plugs on. The 997.1 TT owners have the distinction of the hardest f'ing plugs in the world to change

DC
On a 997.1 Turbo,... which two are the easiest coils to change?

At my engine-out service next week I "may" end up with a full set of plugs,.. but only 4 new coils,... with the other two arriving later.

If those two don't get there before the engine goes back in,... I'll want to be sure to leave the 2 easiest left to be done.

Old 01-09-2016, 07:56 PM
elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Duckstu
On a 997.1 Turbo,... which two are the easiest coils to change?

At my engine-out service next week I "may" end up with a full set of plugs,.. but only 4 new coils.

With the other two arriving later.

If those two don't get there before the engine goes back in,... I'm hoping they can be on two cylinders that aren't hard to get to.

Be sure to replace the two coils towards the front. I would leave the most rear two on the passenger side (US) for changing at a later time if this is your case.

Old 01-09-2016, 08:54 PM
Duckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by elite1
Be sure to replace the two coils towards the front. I would leave the most rear two on the passenger side (US) for changing at a later time if this is your case.
Thank you very much. Will do.

Old 01-10-2016, 03:17 PM
Originally Posted by Duckstu
Thank you very much. Will do.
Did not see your note...As stated, the two closest to the front of the car are most difficult. You can easily get to the rest..

DC

Old 04-17-2017, 02:05 AM
BigBen97 is a jewel in the roughBigBen97 is a jewel in the roughBigBen97 is a jewel in the rough
Another successful use of these instructions. Couple notes, I didn't lower the engine for the passenger side, although looking back it would have been easier. For the drivers side, after lowering the engine I was able to get to everything and I didn't need to remove the VTG actuator.

Here's the drivers side with all the coil packs out, actuator in place.

Old 08-30-2018, 02:36 PM
jayi836 will become famous soon enoughjayi836 will become famous soon enough
Great write up Rock88, love that you have the tools required included, thoughts on the lifespan of the coil-packs? at 77,000 now. Does the Bosch 0986221016 ignition coils fit better than the Beru?
sorry if this has been covered before just got the 08TT a few days ago.

Old 09-01-2018, 06:40 AM
Originally Posted by jayi836
Great write up Rock88, love that you have the tools required included, thoughts on the lifespan of the coil-packs? at 77,000 now. Does the Bosch 0986221016 ignition coils fit better than the Beru?
sorry if this has been covered before just got the 08TT a few days ago.
For plugs, depends on a lot of factors, like driving style, mods, tuned or not? Generally recommended around 40K miles( I think original manual showed 60K intervals), with performance mods/tune/hard driving, I might go down to every 20K miles.

Coils may be about the same....should just check them for cracking as indicator or time to change.

DC

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: TheRock's 997.1 TT Spark Plug / Coils DIY Guide - Updated