TheRock's 997.1 TT Spark Plug / Coils DIY Guide - Updated - Page 2 - 6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

Go Back  6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource > Porsche (Present) > 997 Turbo / GT2
Reload this Page >

TheRock's 997.1 TT Spark Plug / Coils DIY Guide - Updated

997 Turbo / GT2 20062012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.

TheRock's 997.1 TT Spark Plug / Coils DIY Guide - Updated

  #16  
Old 01-04-2016, 08:57 PM
therock88's Avatar
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pleasantville!
Posts: 1,337
Rep Power: 158
therock88 has a reputation beyond reputetherock88 has a reputation beyond reputetherock88 has a reputation beyond reputetherock88 has a reputation beyond reputetherock88 has a reputation beyond reputetherock88 has a reputation beyond reputetherock88 has a reputation beyond reputetherock88 has a reputation beyond reputetherock88 has a reputation beyond reputetherock88 has a reputation beyond reputetherock88 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post
CRG, any tips on doing this without loosening the headers?

I've done a lot of work on my cars, but for whatever reason, I'm dreading this one.
If you do not want to loosen the headers, just make sure you have good wobble extensions and you should be OK. You just want to be careful not to get them in a bind and begin cross-threading the plugs...So just take your time and be careful...once they are started, you should have no issues.

Good luck.
DC
 
  #17  
Old 01-04-2016, 10:19 PM
saabin's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: DFW,TX
Posts: 289
Rep Power: 41
saabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond repute
Agree, the key is the correct tools..wobble extensions and ball-end Torx sockets.
 
  #18  
Old 01-05-2016, 01:44 AM
Registered User
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 38
Rep Power: 12
crgf1k is a name known to allcrgf1k is a name known to allcrgf1k is a name known to allcrgf1k is a name known to allcrgf1k is a name known to allcrgf1k is a name known to all
Just a side-note. The bolts on all of the coils were just barely snugged up...little more than finger tight. The car was relatively new to me at the time with around 130,000kms on it and the coils I took out looked like new. After I completed the entire job, the thought occurred to me that maybe an experienced Porsche mechanic intentionally left them loose to allow room for them to expand and contract without cracking. I have seen some pictures of badly cracked coils. Anyway I tightened up the new ones so I'll see what happens.
 
  #19  
Old 01-05-2016, 07:33 AM
therock88's Avatar
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pleasantville!
Posts: 1,337
Rep Power: 158
therock88 has a reputation beyond reputetherock88 has a reputation beyond reputetherock88 has a reputation beyond reputetherock88 has a reputation beyond reputetherock88 has a reputation beyond reputetherock88 has a reputation beyond reputetherock88 has a reputation beyond reputetherock88 has a reputation beyond reputetherock88 has a reputation beyond reputetherock88 has a reputation beyond reputetherock88 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by crgf1k View Post
Just a side-note. The bolts on all of the coils were just barely snugged up...little more than finger tight. The car was relatively new to me at the time with around 130,000kms on it and the coils I took out looked like new. After I completed the entire job, the thought occurred to me that maybe an experienced Porsche mechanic intentionally left them loose to allow room for them to expand and contract without cracking. I have seen some pictures of badly cracked coils. Anyway I tightened up the new ones so I'll see what happens.
Good point...The correct torque is important and listed below:

Inner Torx screw securing ignition coil to cylinder head torque (7.5 ftlb.)/10 Nm.

DC
 
  #20  
Old 01-05-2016, 07:46 AM
Registered User
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: NJ
Posts: 223
Rep Power: 14
Quadcammer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by therock88 View Post
If you do not want to loosen the headers, just make sure you have good wobble extensions and you should be OK. You just want to be careful not to get them in a bind and begin cross-threading the plugs...So just take your time and be careful...once they are started, you should have no issues.

Good luck.
DC
Thanks all. I apologize for all the hand holding I need on this, but for some reason I'm intimidated.

Have the ball end torx coming from the UK and I have a full wobble set.
 
  #21  
Old 01-05-2016, 08:37 AM
saabin's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: DFW,TX
Posts: 289
Rep Power: 41
saabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post
Thanks all. I apologize for all the hand holding I need on this, but for some reason I'm intimidated.

Have the ball end torx coming from the UK and I have a full wobble set.
You shouldn't be.. as Rock says, take your time and it's not bad.. as I said in a previous thread, I'd rather do my plugs again than do the GT2RS intercooler custom install over again
 
  #22  
Old 01-05-2016, 11:21 AM
Registered User
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Riverside, CT
Posts: 94
Rep Power: 9
Brettg06878 will become famous soon enoughBrettg06878 will become famous soon enough
I'm a relatively new member & just purchased my first Porsche - 2010 PDK Turbo Cab.
I enjoy working on my car as much as most of the members and recently embraced the infamous spark plug change.
I have to admit I was a bit apprehensive and relied on several forums to educate me prior to moving forward, the Rock's post was invaluable.


I was surprised to see that it wasn't necessarily easy but was not terribly difficult. Take your time and refer to the information shared by those who have been down the same road. In my experience the drivers side was relatively easy - I had access to the plugs.
The passenger side was a bit more difficult especially the center plug. Definitely remove the VTG which will allow you to gain access to the coil and corresponding plug.
Good luck and reach out if you need any insight.




Brett
















Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post
Thanks all. I apologize for all the hand holding I need on this, but for some reason I'm intimidated.

Have the ball end torx coming from the UK and I have a full wobble set.
 
  #23  
Old 01-05-2016, 07:15 PM
therock88's Avatar
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pleasantville!
Posts: 1,337
Rep Power: 158
therock88 has a reputation beyond reputetherock88 has a reputation beyond reputetherock88 has a reputation beyond reputetherock88 has a reputation beyond reputetherock88 has a reputation beyond reputetherock88 has a reputation beyond reputetherock88 has a reputation beyond reputetherock88 has a reputation beyond reputetherock88 has a reputation beyond reputetherock88 has a reputation beyond reputetherock88 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Brettg06878 View Post
I'm a relatively new member & just purchased my first Porsche - 2010 PDK Turbo Cab.
I enjoy working on my car as much as most of the members and recently embraced the infamous spark plug change.
I have to admit I was a bit apprehensive and relied on several forums to educate me prior to moving forward, the Rock's post was invaluable.


I was surprised to see that it wasn't necessarily easy but was not terribly difficult. Take your time and refer to the information shared by those who have been down the same road. In my experience the drivers side was relatively easy - I had access to the plugs.
The passenger side was a bit more difficult especially the center plug. Definitely remove the VTG which will allow you to gain access to the coil and corresponding plug.
Good luck and reach out if you need any insight.




Brett
Glad it helped Brett. Do note, that you have a 2010, so a 997.2, and they are a bit easier to do the plugs on. The 997.1 TT owners have the distinction of the hardest f'ing plugs in the world to change

DC
 
  #24  
Old 01-09-2016, 08:53 PM
Duckstu's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Michigan
Posts: 292
Rep Power: 25
Duckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by therock88 View Post
Glad it helped Brett. Do note, that you have a 2010, so a 997.2, and they are a bit easier to do the plugs on. The 997.1 TT owners have the distinction of the hardest f'ing plugs in the world to change

DC
On a 997.1 Turbo,... which two are the easiest coils to change?

At my engine-out service next week I "may" end up with a full set of plugs,.. but only 4 new coils,... with the other two arriving later.

If those two don't get there before the engine goes back in,... I'll want to be sure to leave the 2 easiest left to be done.
 
  #25  
Old 01-09-2016, 08:56 PM
elite1's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,319
Rep Power: 126
elite1 has a reputation beyond reputeelite1 has a reputation beyond reputeelite1 has a reputation beyond reputeelite1 has a reputation beyond reputeelite1 has a reputation beyond reputeelite1 has a reputation beyond reputeelite1 has a reputation beyond reputeelite1 has a reputation beyond reputeelite1 has a reputation beyond reputeelite1 has a reputation beyond reputeelite1 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Duckstu View Post
On a 997.1 Turbo,... which two are the easiest coils to change?

At my engine-out service next week I "may" end up with a full set of plugs,.. but only 4 new coils.

With the other two arriving later.

If those two don't get there before the engine goes back in,... I'm hoping they can be on two cylinders that aren't hard to get to.


Be sure to replace the two coils towards the front. I would leave the most rear two on the passenger side (US) for changing at a later time if this is your case.
 
  #26  
Old 01-09-2016, 09:54 PM
Duckstu's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Michigan
Posts: 292
Rep Power: 25
Duckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by elite1 View Post
Be sure to replace the two coils towards the front. I would leave the most rear two on the passenger side (US) for changing at a later time if this is your case.
Thank you very much. Will do.
 
  #27  
Old 01-10-2016, 04:17 PM
therock88's Avatar
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pleasantville!
Posts: 1,337
Rep Power: 158
therock88 has a reputation beyond reputetherock88 has a reputation beyond reputetherock88 has a reputation beyond reputetherock88 has a reputation beyond reputetherock88 has a reputation beyond reputetherock88 has a reputation beyond reputetherock88 has a reputation beyond reputetherock88 has a reputation beyond reputetherock88 has a reputation beyond reputetherock88 has a reputation beyond reputetherock88 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Duckstu View Post
Thank you very much. Will do.
Did not see your note...As stated, the two closest to the front of the car are most difficult. You can easily get to the rest..

DC
 
  #28  
Old 04-17-2017, 03:05 AM
BigBen97's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 69
Rep Power: 11
BigBen97 is a jewel in the roughBigBen97 is a jewel in the roughBigBen97 is a jewel in the rough
Another successful use of these instructions. Couple notes, I didn't lower the engine for the passenger side, although looking back it would have been easier. For the drivers side, after lowering the engine I was able to get to everything and I didn't need to remove the VTG actuator.

Here's the drivers side with all the coil packs out, actuator in place.
 
  #29  
Old 08-30-2018, 03:36 PM
jayi836's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Simi Valley,CA
Posts: 286
Rep Power: 21
jayi836 will become famous soon enoughjayi836 will become famous soon enough
Great write up Rock88, love that you have the tools required included, thoughts on the lifespan of the coil-packs? at 77,000 now. Does the Bosch 0986221016 ignition coils fit better than the Beru?
sorry if this has been covered before just got the 08TT a few days ago.
 
  #30  
Old 09-01-2018, 07:40 AM
therock88's Avatar
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pleasantville!
Posts: 1,337
Rep Power: 158
therock88 has a reputation beyond reputetherock88 has a reputation beyond reputetherock88 has a reputation beyond reputetherock88 has a reputation beyond reputetherock88 has a reputation beyond reputetherock88 has a reputation beyond reputetherock88 has a reputation beyond reputetherock88 has a reputation beyond reputetherock88 has a reputation beyond reputetherock88 has a reputation beyond reputetherock88 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jayi836 View Post
Great write up Rock88, love that you have the tools required included, thoughts on the lifespan of the coil-packs? at 77,000 now. Does the Bosch 0986221016 ignition coils fit better than the Beru?
sorry if this has been covered before just got the 08TT a few days ago.
For plugs, depends on a lot of factors, like driving style, mods, tuned or not? Generally recommended around 40K miles( I think original manual showed 60K intervals), with performance mods/tune/hard driving, I might go down to every 20K miles.

Coils may be about the same....should just check them for cracking as indicator or time to change.

DC
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: TheRock's 997.1 TT Spark Plug / Coils DIY Guide - Updated


Join 6SpeedOnline
Visit our Sponsors

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.