TheRock's 997.1 TT Spark Plug / Coils DIY Guide - Updated - Page 3 - 6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

Go Back  6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource > Porsche (Present) > 997 Turbo / GT2
Reload this Page >

TheRock's 997.1 TT Spark Plug / Coils DIY Guide - Updated

Notices
997 Turbo / GT2 20062012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.

TheRock's 997.1 TT Spark Plug / Coils DIY Guide - Updated

Old 09-02-2018, 01:03 AM
jayi836 will become famous soon enoughjayi836 will become famous soon enough
Thanks for the update was under the car today to check the fluids and confirmed that the plugs and MT,front diff and AWD controller services about 10,000 miles ago. Fluid and the (2) coil packs I could see looked free of cracks. The seller claims he lost the paperwork! I did speak with the shop.
They somehow managed to strip the MT10MM fill plug when the service was preformed, will have to order a replacement and figure how to remove the stripped plug perhaps a ball ended allen?
So it seems the plugs are good for another 14k. No track use just to work once a week and weekends.

Old 09-03-2018, 10:54 AM
pc620 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks therock888 for sharing the DIY instruction. Though mine car is 997.2 I was still able to use most of your instructions to remove bumper and inter-coolers.
Removing the coils and spark plugs on 997.2 TTS turned out to be easier than from what I have read and details in the instructions as I had to only remove these to get to all six plugs 1) one turbo heat shield from the driver side and 2) VTG from the passenger side.

Thanks again.

Old 12-26-2018, 07:11 AM
Johnny DB has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny DB has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny DB has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny DB has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny DB has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny DB has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny DB has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny DB has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny DB has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny DB has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny DB has a reputation beyond repute
Is dielectric grease required on the plug end where it meets the coil connection?

Old 12-26-2018, 10:33 AM
lliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud of
While not required I have seen many posts in various forums about grease in the boot and around the ceramic portion of the plug, NOT THE METAL CONNECTION OF THE PLUG OR THE BOOT. That grease is an insulator and meant to prevent arcing from the boot to the valve cover. Usually a Q-tip is used to put a small amount around the inside of the boot, staying away from the metal connector in the boot. Apply a thin coat in a circular motion on the inside of the boot. You can also apply a thin coat around the ceramic portion of the plug.

Here is a nice video on it:

Ed