Notices
997 Turbo / GT2 20062012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.

TheRock's 997.1 TT Spark Plug / Coils DIY Guide - Updated

Old 09-02-2018, 01:03 AM
jayi836 will become famous soon enoughjayi836 will become famous soon enough
Thanks for the update was under the car today to check the fluids and confirmed that the plugs and MT,front diff and AWD controller services about 10,000 miles ago. Fluid and the (2) coil packs I could see looked free of cracks. The seller claims he lost the paperwork! I did speak with the shop.
They somehow managed to strip the MT10MM fill plug when the service was preformed, will have to order a replacement and figure how to remove the stripped plug perhaps a ball ended allen?
So it seems the plugs are good for another 14k. No track use just to work once a week and weekends.

Old 09-03-2018, 10:54 AM
pc620 is on a distinguished road
Thanks therock888 for sharing the DIY instruction. Though mine car is 997.2 I was still able to use most of your instructions to remove bumper and inter-coolers.
Removing the coils and spark plugs on 997.2 TTS turned out to be easier than from what I have read and details in the instructions as I had to only remove these to get to all six plugs 1) one turbo heat shield from the driver side and 2) VTG from the passenger side.

Thanks again.

Old 12-26-2018, 07:11 AM
Johnny DB has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny DB has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny DB has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny DB has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny DB has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny DB has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny DB has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny DB has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny DB has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny DB has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny DB has a reputation beyond repute
Is dielectric grease required on the plug end where it meets the coil connection?

Old 12-26-2018, 10:33 AM
lliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud of
While not required I have seen many posts in various forums about grease in the boot and around the ceramic portion of the plug, NOT THE METAL CONNECTION OF THE PLUG OR THE BOOT. That grease is an insulator and meant to prevent arcing from the boot to the valve cover. Usually a Q-tip is used to put a small amount around the inside of the boot, staying away from the metal connector in the boot. Apply a thin coat in a circular motion on the inside of the boot. You can also apply a thin coat around the ceramic portion of the plug.

Here is a nice video on it:

Ed

Old 04-01-2019, 01:47 PM
Thanks again therock88 another grateful turbo owner for this post, Having all of the tools ahead of time made a big difference.
Cylinder 3 had a random misfire (P0303) turned out to be broken coil pack connector. Have no idea on how to access it as it's completely obstructed.Will have to try replacing the connector when my zip tie fix fails. Also a found the VTG link disconnected, it caused the P0299 underboost code.
Larger coil packs didn't seem to be much more difficult to install.
I did lower the engine to the bottom of the engine mount nut travel had some trouble with step 2."Press intake air lines out of the brackets in the engine compartment" could find them? hopefully didn't stretch anything. I was holding 20 PSI pressure after everything was reassembled.

Old 04-01-2019, 01:52 PM
Not my engine but i'm guessing this is the air line in step 2?

Old 04-01-2019, 01:59 PM
Johnny DB has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny DB has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny DB has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny DB has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny DB has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny DB has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny DB has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny DB has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny DB has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny DB has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny DB has a reputation beyond repute
Yes and even with the engine lowered it was a PITA for me...arms were all scratched afterwards lol

Old 04-01-2019, 02:12 PM
Originally Posted by Johnny DB View Post
Yes and even with the engine lowered it was a PITA for me...arms were all scratched afterwards lol
Lucky no blood was drawn on this project, did take a fair amount of time disassembling then putting everything back. Will be much quicker the next time.
Even with the cost of a lift and if you paid yourself $100 an hour for the day your still ahead.

Old 04-01-2019, 04:26 PM
Edgemonty007 has a spectacular aura aboutEdgemonty007 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by jayi836 View Post
Lucky no blood was drawn on this project, did take a fair amount of time disassembling then putting everything back. Will be much quicker the next time.
Even with the cost of a lift and if you paid yourself $100 an hour for the day your still ahead.
1000% agree!!

Old 04-04-2019, 05:43 PM
therock88 has a reputation beyond reputetherock88 has a reputation beyond reputetherock88 has a reputation beyond reputetherock88 has a reputation beyond reputetherock88 has a reputation beyond reputetherock88 has a reputation beyond reputetherock88 has a reputation beyond reputetherock88 has a reputation beyond reputetherock88 has a reputation beyond reputetherock88 has a reputation beyond reputetherock88 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Edgemonty007 View Post
1000% agree!!
Glad it helped...First plug change is when and how I got my lift It has come in very handy for many jobs!

DC

Old 04-04-2019, 06:25 PM
DC or anyone know what the maximum I can lower the engine? I have a broken coil pack connector tab on cylinder 3. It was the cause of my misfire under load. Not sure if this will place stress on the transmission mount.
We all know there is limited access to this connector, I have to be able to hold it and de-pin it 3X.

Old 04-04-2019, 07:38 PM
therock88 has a reputation beyond reputetherock88 has a reputation beyond reputetherock88 has a reputation beyond reputetherock88 has a reputation beyond reputetherock88 has a reputation beyond reputetherock88 has a reputation beyond reputetherock88 has a reputation beyond reputetherock88 has a reputation beyond reputetherock88 has a reputation beyond reputetherock88 has a reputation beyond reputetherock88 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jayi836 View Post
DC or anyone know what the maximum I can lower the engine? I have a broken coil pack connector tab on cylinder 3. It was the cause of my misfire under load. Not sure if this will place stress on the transmission mount.
We all know there is limited access to this connector, I have to be able to hold it and de-pin it 3X.
Without removing any braces and/or cross members, you can lower it about 3-4" (just an estimate)

DC

Old 04-05-2019, 07:34 AM
Thanks DC that looks a lot more than 3-4" may do the silicone hose mod too, that will get the air box feed to the turbo out of the way.

Old 04-12-2019, 08:39 AM
DC, any lines or wires to worry about lowering it that much? Do you simply lower until it touches the cross brace?

Old 04-19-2019, 04:26 PM
TxTurboBill has a spectacular aura aboutTxTurboBill has a spectacular aura about
Before I did my plugs/coils I was searching for DIY info and came across a YouTube video, this kid going through the process and saved the front left plug/coil for last and said "this one is impossible to access so just leave it and it will probably be ok" Seriously? Change 5 out of 6 and call it a day? Good thing I found the Rock, it wasn't bad at all with his instructions, and I agree the right tools make a huge difference.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: TheRock's 997.1 TT Spark Plug / Coils DIY Guide - Updated

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.