997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Special on Alpha 9 for 997.1

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 12:48 PM
yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by vividracing
That's good to know for all future customers. So lets make sure to add rods to the list.
If you stay at 700whp with this kit then rods should be fine. I was 835whp

Old 01-09-2015, 01:06 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by yumaverick
If you stay at 700whp with this kit then rods should be fine. I was 835whp
And that all can be adjusted with the tune. Thank you!

Old 01-12-2015, 05:56 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
We also have the Darton sleeves.

Old 01-12-2015, 06:07 PM
DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !
I don't think anyone is saying run 800+ HP on a stock motor and nothing will happen. The kit may capable of that power, but you'd tune to the limits of your set up. When you're ready for more power do rods and adjust the tune, easy peasy

Old 01-12-2015, 07:46 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by DSCOFF
I don't think anyone is saying run 800+ HP on a stock motor and nothing will happen. The kit may capable of that power, but you'd tune to the limits of your set up. When you're ready for more power do rods and adjust the tune, easy peasy
Thank you!

Old 01-15-2015, 12:40 PM
GTRETA is a splendid one to beholdGTRETA is a splendid one to beholdGTRETA is a splendid one to beholdGTRETA is a splendid one to beholdGTRETA is a splendid one to beholdGTRETA is a splendid one to beholdGTRETA is a splendid one to behold
Can you PM me price of kit please.

Old 01-15-2015, 01:42 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by GTRETA
Can you PM me price of kit please.
PM sent

Old 01-18-2015, 06:48 PM
TT VIPER will become famous soon enough
What size turbos does the Alpha 9 package use? GT2867 or GT3071?
Based on what I've seen, 700 whp is the magic number for stock Porsche motors. Anything over that and you will start breaking the engine starting with the rods.

Old 01-18-2015, 07:03 PM
yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TT VIPER
Based on what I've seen, 700 whp is the magic number for stock Porsche motors. Anything over that and you will start breaking the engine starting with the rods.
Gt28's

Old 01-19-2015, 03:09 AM
Banned
IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TT VIPER
Its funny here in the UK and Europe we tend to stay below 640-680 PS at the crank on stock engines. The accepted philosophy from RUf, RS Tuning, Manthey and FVD was circa 560 PS as the limit on stock engine but think you guys over the pond have persuaded them stock engines can hold a bit more power than 560 PS. How times change.

Having said that 700 whp does sound very high on a stock engine. If you can bring the extra power in gently its probably fine but a whole heap of torque at 3000 rpm is maybe also going to wear out 1st, 2nd and third gear and your front diff as well as your stock engine IMO.

Tuners here won't give us 750 PS at the crank without uprated rods and head. They also insist on extra cooling for front diff and gearbox as well as reinforced 1st, 2nd and , 3rd gears. Minimum charge for rods and head work here in the UK is about $25,000 excluding the 750 PS kit which is another $40,000 on top!!!!!!!!! That excludes better brakes and suspension! I'm in the wrong business!

Old 01-19-2015, 06:49 AM
TT VIPER will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by IMI A
Its funny here in the UK and Europe we tend to stay below 640-680 PS at the crank on stock engines. The accepted philosophy from RUf, RS Tuning, Manthey and FVD was circa 560 PS as the limit on stock engine but think you guys over the pond have persuaded them stock engines can hold a bit more power than 560 PS. How times change.

Having said that 700 whp does sound very high on a stock engine. If you can bring the extra power in gently its probably fine but a whole heap of torque at 3000 rpm is maybe also going to wear out 1st, 2nd and third gear and your front diff as well as your stock engine IMO.

Tuners here won't give us 750 PS at the crank without uprated rods and head. They also insist on extra cooling for front diff and gearbox as well as reinforced 1st, 2nd and , 3rd gears. Minimum charge for rods and head work here in the UK is about $25,000 excluding the 750 PS kit which is another $40,000 on top!!!!!!!!! That excludes better brakes and suspension! I'm in the wrong business!
Well, first of all it's not the Hp that breaks engines but the Tq and yes the Tq can be limited with a tune to be easier on the engine internals and drivetrain. It all comes down to how you drive the car and what type of fuel, additives, tires, etc. yo use.

I broke the transmission and the front differential on a standard 997.1 turbo with slicks with just too much brake boosting and beating the hell out of it on the strip.

With careful driving, frequent oil change, bigger transmission and engine oil coolers, methanol injection and good quality gas you can drive 700 whp on stock internals for a long time. Off course, there is never a guarantee.

When it comes to building a forged engine and transmission for a Porsche, it gets very expensive very quick partly due to Porsche mechanics charging higher than others and Porsche parts being expensive.

Either way, $65,000 for a forged engine and 750 HP setup is too much. You can order an assembled forged block with upgraded turbo setup directly from USA for much less than that.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:46 AM
porschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant future
Torque is what breakes everything .The reason why a decade old car like the 997.1 keeps its price so high until now (even why it has been replaced by 2 other models) is the engine and the fueling system . I have never seen their piston or crankshaft fail . I would only replace the rods ,headstuds ,gasket and coalant pipes . You dont need a stroker in these engines . Bigger stroke is equal to bigger torque which makes it more difficult to limit. Also my personal opinion about gt28 is that they are good up to 800(700whp) but not a single hp more or racegas map with big boost. They will produce to much torque and bend the rods. Megion bend the rods with gt28 while pushing them . Gt30 are good because they are bigger and can run 700whp with less boost while producing less torque. I think ams alpha 10 is gt30 ,that would be the one I would choose .

Old 01-19-2015, 09:33 AM
mcoupe mus has a reputation beyond reputemcoupe mus has a reputation beyond reputemcoupe mus has a reputation beyond reputemcoupe mus has a reputation beyond reputemcoupe mus has a reputation beyond reputemcoupe mus has a reputation beyond reputemcoupe mus has a reputation beyond reputemcoupe mus has a reputation beyond reputemcoupe mus has a reputation beyond reputemcoupe mus has a reputation beyond reputemcoupe mus has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by IMI A

I think it depends on the tuners that are used over here.

I was running 700 at the wheels on my stock engine and Fearnsport who work on my car were keeping on top of the whole build. I ran the car hard without any gearbox or motor issues. I was running a full standalone Syvecs system though.

I decided to go for a 4.0 as I wanted more power, but the block was in perfect condition when we stripped it down.

Some tuners just charge alot where it's not needed.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:41 AM
Former Vendor
It all comes down to how well your car is tuned.

Old 01-20-2015, 03:43 PM
AMS
Former Vendor
AMS has a reputation beyond reputeAMS has a reputation beyond reputeAMS has a reputation beyond reputeAMS has a reputation beyond reputeAMS has a reputation beyond reputeAMS has a reputation beyond reputeAMS has a reputation beyond reputeAMS has a reputation beyond reputeAMS has a reputation beyond reputeAMS has a reputation beyond reputeAMS has a reputation beyond repute
We have sold, installed and tuned many Alpha 9 packages. We like to keep the power in the 675-700 whp on 93 octane and 775ish on race fuel.

The engines are very reliable if tuned properly.

here is a review on AMW's beautiful Alpha 9

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...000-miles.html

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Special on Alpha 9 for 997.1