997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Switzer E911 – take 2 review/install

Old 02-09-2015, 04:36 PM
vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Swole Powell
The alphas use a 14.7lb/1bar spring, as for the exhaust being restrictive that I am not sure. I would think past the 700whp mark you would want to bypass the exhaust so you wont have to much back pressure.

Matt
Thanks for your help. This is why I love this forum. There's always good help for those that need it.

Old 02-09-2015, 05:29 PM
Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by vr6tee
Thanks for your help. This is why I love this forum. There's always good help for those that need it.
No problem, I am glad to help.

Matt

Old 02-09-2015, 06:56 PM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
The alphas use a 14.7lb/1bar spring, as for the exhaust being restrictive that I am not sure. I would think past the 700whp mark you would want to bypass the exhaust so you wont have to much back pressure. Matt
I agree with this. I would put a higher spring in the bypass valves on the exhaust so that they only open in full boost or close to it if you don't want them to scream. Car will be very loud wide open any way so you might as well get the extra performance.

I'd love to hear more on how Switzer had the fuel pumps set up and I am sure EvoMS knows since they removed it.

On another note I would def convert internal gates to be shut like Powell and use external gates on headers. You will find much better boost control and less spikes in boost. I use externally gated 30s on my 997s and had the internally gated ones on my 997 years ago.

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |
Old 02-09-2015, 07:52 PM
vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by prodigymb
I agree with this. I would put a higher spring in the bypass valves on the exhaust so that they only open in full boost or close to it if you don't want them to scream. Car will be very loud wide open any way so you might as well get the extra performance.

I'd love to hear more on how Switzer had the fuel pumps set up and I am sure EvoMS knows since they removed it.

On another note I would def convert internal gates to be shut like Powell and use external gates on headers. You will find much better boost control and less spikes in boost. I use externally gated 30s on my 997s and had the internally gated ones on my 997 years ago.
With each new item that comes up, I have to consider "is this a good time to do this upgrade?" Do I really want to take my stainless headers off and have the wastegates mounted now? I know it's a much better way, but is it a this year or next year item?...... The engine will come back out in fall for rods and head work. I'll probably wait until I get the engine back in the car, take a good look and make the final decision.

Matt, Prodigymb, I have a question now that I'm thinking about the boost.... I've always ran the wastegate boost signal from the turbo compressor. Switzer does not have any fittings on the boost side of the manifold. They only have 2 blow off valves in the Y-pipe (which will come from manifold). I'm assuming they ran the wastegate signals from the vacuum side of the intake plenum? Should I drill a hole (or a hole in both) compressor housings and install fitting(s) for the boost signal?

ps. I talked to Sean at Silly Rabbit tonight and my rails will be shipping Wednesday and arriving to me on Friday. 8 AN in, 6 AN out. He's sending out 14mm-6 AN fittings for my fuel cooler too. I'm pretty excited for that. I'll post pics of the Switzer fuel system and the new one this weekend when I'm assembling it.

Thanks!
James

Old 02-09-2015, 08:32 PM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
I would do the externals, shouldn't be hard to modify their headers. This way you only have to set that whole thing up once with vacuum routing. I would add a nice vacuum block for all the new stuff such as BOVs, FPR and WGs that's what we did on my car to give everything a healthy vacuum/boost reference.

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |
Old 02-10-2015, 07:06 PM
Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by vr6tee
With each new item that comes up, I have to consider "is this a good time to do this upgrade?" Do I really want to take my stainless headers off and have the wastegates mounted now? I know it's a much better way, but is it a this year or next year item?...... The engine will come back out in fall for rods and head work. I'll probably wait until I get the engine back in the car, take a good look and make the final decision.

Matt, Prodigymb, I have a question now that I'm thinking about the boost.... I've always ran the wastegate boost signal from the turbo compressor. Switzer does not have any fittings on the boost side of the manifold. They only have 2 blow off valves in the Y-pipe (which will come from manifold). I'm assuming they ran the wastegate signals from the vacuum side of the intake plenum? Should I drill a hole (or a hole in both) compressor housings and install fitting(s) for the boost signal?

ps. I talked to Sean at Silly Rabbit tonight and my rails will be shipping Wednesday and arriving to me on Friday. 8 AN in, 6 AN out. He's sending out 14mm-6 AN fittings for my fuel cooler too. I'm pretty excited for that. I'll post pics of the Switzer fuel system and the new one this weekend when I'm assembling it.

Thanks!
James
Sorry for the late reply. You can do alot for the boost signal, most turbos have the intake housing taped with a 1/8npt port. If yours isnt you can drill it out and tap it if thats what you want. Also like Mark said you can use the fuel pressure port on the back of the intake and bring it to a vacuum block then from there run all your vacuum lines to fpr, bovs, wastegates/boost controller. With internal wastegate there is only one vacuum port, so how I have mine ran will be different since mine has 2 ports.

Hope that helps,
Matt

Old 02-10-2015, 07:30 PM
Sorry for the late reply. You can do alot for the boost signal, most turbos have the intake housing taped with a 1/8npt port. If yours isnt you can drill it out and tap it if thats what you want. Also like Mark said you can use the fuel pressure port on the back of the intake and bring it to a vacuum block then from there run all your vacuum lines to fpr, bovs, wastegates/boost controller. With internal wastegate there is only one vacuum port, so how I have mine ran will be different since mine has 2 ports.

Hope that helps,
Matt
Yeah, I was thinking of tapping a 1/8" NPT into each compressor housing. The blow off valves are in the y-pipe and the throttle body is behind that..... with the plenum behind both. I've always used the intake manifold for BOV, FPR etc, but for the wastegate (boost solenoid) signal I've used the turbo compressor as it's a direct link to the speed/boost of the turbo and doesn't see vacuum. I've read of guys reporting a 1-1.5 psi difference in boost pressure from the compressor to the manifold. Has anyone on this forum done testing on this?

Old 02-11-2015, 12:59 PM
LQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond repute
I also thought that vacuum on the wastegate was a bad idea because it can damage the diaphragm.

Is it because you have externals that you can run vacuum to the wastegate?

Old 02-11-2015, 07:22 PM
Originally Posted by LQQK
I also thought that vacuum on the wastegate was a bad idea because it can damage the diaphragm.

Is it because you have externals that you can run vacuum to the wastegate?
I do not run a line with vacuum to my wastegates, Side port goes to turbo intake housing and the top port goes to the boost controller. I have a barb fitting on my ypipe that feeds the boost controller, this makes it shorter and cleaner. The barb on the y-pipe im sure see less boost then the one off the turbo housing since intercoolers are know to eat some boost, but it has not had an adverse effects. I get my boost reading from the back of the intake manifold.
Matt

Old 02-11-2015, 07:36 PM
I do not run a line with vacuum to my wastegates, Side port goes to turbo intake housing and the top port goes to the boost controller. I have a barb fitting on my ypipe that feeds the boost controller, this makes it shorter and cleaner. The barb on the y-pipe im sure see less boost then the one off the turbo housing since intercoolers are know to eat some boost, but it has not had an adverse effects. I get my boost reading from the back of the intake manifold.
Matt
I like this way of doing it.

Old 02-12-2015, 04:41 AM
porschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant future
very nice write up , reputation point coming for you +1

Old 02-12-2015, 08:24 AM
LQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond repute
Matt
+1 - thanks for detail description. This helps a lot for setting up external wastegates

Old 02-13-2015, 07:25 AM
Originally Posted by prodigymb
I would do the externals, shouldn't be hard to modify their headers. This way you only have to set that whole thing up once with vacuum routing. I would add a nice vacuum block for all the new stuff such as BOVs, FPR and WGs that's what we did on my car to give everything a healthy vacuum/boost reference.
Thank you for the influence again ..... I grabbed a 6 port vacuum block and 2 Tial MV-S wastegates for the headers. I plan on installing the 1.2/17.4 psi springs in them. I'm going to change the exhaust wastegate springs so they will only open on my "high" boost setting. (1.7/24.65 psi springs) Low boost will get a "semi" quiet exhaust, and all out for high boost.

My Jegs order arrived yesterday...... My Silly Rabbit fuel rails scheduled to arrive tomorrow. I'll take pics tonight/tomorrow and start building. I'm getting excited again.

Old 02-14-2015, 09:29 PM
Fuel System

Here's a few pics of the new fuel system and Switzers fuel system.... (and a pic of the new vacuum block)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Pumps1.jpg (85.2 KB, 247 views)
vacuum_block.jpg (99.9 KB, 267 views)
pic1.jpg (100.7 KB, 242 views)
pic2.jpg (96.2 KB, 252 views)
pic3.jpg (116.1 KB, 249 views)
Old 02-14-2015, 09:32 PM
Pics2

Pictures

Attached Images
pic4.jpg (150.4 KB, 240 views)
pic5.jpg (154.2 KB, 221 views)
pic9.jpg (101.7 KB, 252 views)
pic10.jpg (125.2 KB, 231 views)
pix8.jpg (94.1 KB, 227 views)

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Switzer E911 – take 2 review/install