997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Let's talk about pricing- the 997/996 turbo

Old 09-26-2016, 09:23 PM
TimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by brnrdtns
Something that I think is being left out of this debate is that most buyers at this level are likely financing their cars. (I did some years ago.) We are Americans and we like to live a little bit outside of our means sometimes. If you are in the market for a Turbo and you have to borrow to do it I believe that many would go for the 996 at 40 to 50 over a 997 at 55 to 65 because they simply are only able to borrow a limited amount which may put the 997 out of reach. This would have the effect of raising 996 demand and thus values, and limiting 997 demand a bit. While the 996 is a great car, almost everyone likes the 997 better. Prices may not necessarily reflect desirability as much as they reflect access to financing.
I'm not sure where you are getting your info. It's actually more common to have trouble financing an older car rather than a newer more expensive one. Most banks will not finance a car over ~7 years old, regardless of price. Many have mileage limits too. BOA for instance will not finance a car over 100k miles. That being said, all of this is baked into what we are seeing in the market, so I'm not sure what your point is.

996's don't look great... inside or out. Depending on your priorities that either makes them a tremendous performance bargain and fun per buck superstar or a car that deserves the bottom of the barrel pricing they command.

Old 09-26-2016, 09:55 PM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
My take is that the 996s seem to be a little bit over priced as of late for what you get and the 997s seem undervalued to me. I'm just speculating why that could be. My point was that it could be that the 996 could be easier to finance due to the price of the 997 being higher and potentially out of reach, so people just go for the 996. You refuted that point by saying that the newer cars are actually easier to finance, which could be true. I was just offering a theory that could be built upon or dismissed.

Old 09-27-2016, 01:08 AM
machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TimeTomorrow
I'm not sure where you are getting your info. It's actually more common to have trouble financing an older car rather than a newer more expensive one. Most banks will not finance a car over ~7 years old, regardless of price. Many have mileage limits too. BOA for instance will not finance a car over 100k miles. That being said, all of this is baked into what we are seeing in the market, so I'm not sure what your point is.

996's don't look great... inside or out. Depending on your priorities that either makes them a tremendous performance bargain and fun per buck superstar or a car that deserves the bottom of the barrel pricing they command.
Credit unions in my neck of the woods finance these with no issues! They even beat the hell out of the big banks interest rates! IMHO 996 Turbos look awesome! They are more raw and old school then the 997's! For a daily driver 997 all the way! I'm currently shopping for one so I will own both!

Old 09-27-2016, 11:13 AM
turboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant future
This indeed WAS the case when I bought/financed in 2014. Most major banks at that point would only finance a car with 60k miles or less...or within 5 model years. It really limited your options (BOA and Capital One were the ones I found that were willing to do a 6yr old car).

Fast forward to 2016 and the land of easy money! Banks are willing to finance anything at this point in time....at low rates. I would also take a look at credit unions. PowerFi.org is willing to do upto 75k miles and 10y of age....at rates sub 3%

My friend just used them to get an 08 Vantage....and they offer repair warranty.

Originally Posted by brnrdtns
Something that I think is being left out of this debate is that most buyers at this level are likely financing their cars. (I did some years ago.) We are Americans and we like to live a little bit outside of our means sometimes. If you are in the market for a Turbo and you have to borrow to do it I believe that many would go for the 996 at 40 to 50 over a 997 at 55 to 65 because they simply are only able to borrow a limited amount which may put the 997 out of reach. This would have the effect of raising 996 demand and thus values, and limiting 997 demand a bit. While the 996 is a great car, almost everyone likes the 997 better. Prices may not necessarily reflect desirability as much as they reflect access to financing.

Old 09-27-2016, 12:14 PM
TimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by turboslut
This indeed WAS the case when I bought/financed in 2014. Most major banks at that point would only finance a car with 60k miles or less...or within 5 model years. It really limited your options (BOA and Capital One were the ones I found that were willing to do a 6yr old car).

Fast forward to 2016 and the land of easy money! Banks are willing to finance anything at this point in time....at low rates. I would also take a look at credit unions. PowerFi.org is willing to do upto 75k miles and 10y of age....at rates sub 3%

My friend just used them to get an 08 Vantage....and they offer repair warranty.
so, more concisely, no bank in your post would finance a 12 year old 996 turbo...

Old 09-27-2016, 12:28 PM
turboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant future
996 is out but 997 is in...brnrdtns said in his earlier post that the 997 could not be financed since it was $15k more. I stated otherwise. Plus, if you really think about it....lack of financing options should depress 996 pricing, as more and more transactions would be on a cash basis. I would bet that there are more financed buyers than cash for most products on this earth. Less buyers..less demand....lower pricing.

Originally Posted by TimeTomorrow
so, more concisely, no bank in your post would finance a 12 year old 996 turbo...

Old 09-27-2016, 01:35 PM
996 is out but 997 is in...brnrdtns said in his earlier post that the 997 could not be financed since it was $15k more. I stated otherwise. Plus, if you really think about it....lack of financing options should depress 996 pricing, as more and more transactions would be on a cash basis. I would bet that there are more financed buyers than cash for most products on this earth. Less buyers..less demand....lower pricing.
Gotcha. You and I agree 100%

Old 09-29-2016, 11:10 PM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
For color, I bought mine ('08 6spd TT coupe) for $55k with 64k miles two years ago (single owner car). Currently at 78k miles and climbing....plus I love my daily commute. I purposely bought high mileage so that I could not have any feelings about putting some more on.
You bought an 08 with 64k for $55 two years ago? Awesome deal and I agree about the miles. Drive it!

Old 04-24-2017, 09:11 PM
Impulsivebuyer... is an unknown quantity at this point
Just stumbled across this 'older' thread...On Pricing...

Every Porsche is a marvel of engineering, and a pleasure to drive. They just are- that's why we buy them. 993,996,997, etc., etc. They're not practical. They're not inexpensive to maintain- even if you do it yourself. But they are wonderful driving machines- All of them. Every time I contemplate selling mine- I drive it.....

I'm glad I had the crazy idea 7 years ago to buy it. It was worth every penny.

Old 04-25-2017, 05:00 AM
arjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Impulsivebuyer...
Just stumbled across this 'older' thread...On Pricing...

Every Porsche is a marvel of engineering, and a pleasure to drive. They just are- that's why we buy them. 993,996,997, etc., etc. They're not practical. They're not inexpensive to maintain- even if you do it yourself. But they are wonderful driving machines- All of them. Every time I contemplate selling mine- I drive it.....

I'm glad I had the crazy idea 7 years ago to buy it. It was worth every penny.
what he said, just drive it and have fun invest your $$$ somewhere else