997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997.1 Pdk steering wheel upgrade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 08:23 PM
panda997 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Ammein
Nice steering wheel swap.

Seeing as a few of you guys have done the swap I would like your help.

I have a 09 997 GT2 in the United Arab Emirates.

The steering wheel I want to put is from the Cayman GT4.. I know that it fits perfectly however the Porsche dealer here are afraid that the airbag won't work.

What do I have to do to get it to work?

Do I need to buy the airbag from the cayman gt4 ? & I'm confused as to which steering wheel module I would have to get.

I'd appreciate if I can get some guidance!
If you know it fits you should have them try it. So what I've learned through my research is that it all depends on how good the tech is using the pwis. I went to one dealer who swore it couldn't be done but obviously it can be. I'm not sure as to the module, however if it's a 2009 I think that it may be plug and play. They just have to be willing to try and program if necessary.

Old 02-15-2017, 08:24 PM
panda997 is an unknown quantity at this point
Just needs to be programmed through pwis. But pretty much otherwise.

David
Originally Posted by myw
that is hot, so basically all u needed to do to get the horn to work was simply the 2009+ steering wheel module, and the 991.2 wheel was pretty much plug and play correct? (just referring to the horn as i understand the 991.2 MF wont work)

thanks in advance.

Old 06-12-2017, 03:14 PM
myw
myw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to behold
fyi, the 991.2 MF can now be made to work on a 997 via lin-bus adapter. 997.2 steering module has to be installed on the 997.1 cars however.

the videos and feedback from the person who designed it can be found on the Facebook 997 retrofit forum.

Old 06-12-2017, 03:53 PM
shadow993 is on a distinguished road
Here is the procedure.. I ordered one.

Cost is $300 without heat and $400

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo929.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	485.1 KB
ID:	478326Click image for larger version

Name:	photo863.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	642.1 KB
ID:	478327

Old 06-12-2017, 04:42 PM
myw
myw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to behold
so for the most part its plugging in from one harness to the next other then one wire for HEATED wheel and the other one for LIGHTING up the wheel correct?

Old 06-12-2017, 05:54 PM
Yes ... seems simple enough

Old 07-23-2017, 07:08 AM
ocmacman17 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by panda997
If you know it fits you should have them try it. So what I've learned through my research is that it all depends on how good the tech is using the pwis. I went to one dealer who swore it couldn't be done but obviously it can be. I'm not sure as to the module, however if it's a 2009 I think that it may be plug and play. They just have to be willing to try and program if necessary.
Yes, you are correct. If the tech is a dumbass, don't use the dealer. I went to Newport Beach Porsche and the DA tech said, "oh it can't be done" and then when I told him it can be he said "we don't do it" I left immediately and I would not recommend buying anything from Newport Beach Porsche.

Old 07-24-2017, 08:32 PM
I think my airbag has been modified or a different cover has been put on it. I am trying to find the pics of the airbag before I sent it out to be wrapped. The sticker is not on the airbag and I think it was before I sent it off. The airbag does not fit well. The wheel and module install I did and went very well.

Old 07-24-2017, 10:20 PM
[quote=ocmacman17]I think my airbag has been modified or a different cover has been put on it. I am trying to find the pics of the airbag before I sent it out to be wrapped. The sticker is not on the airbag and I think it was before I sent it off. The airbag does not fit well. The wheel and module install I did and went

I think the problem is the leather on your airbag went around the cover.

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo95.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	433.2 KB
ID:	480674

Old 07-24-2017, 10:32 PM
Also, make sure the wire is tucked in the groove or that will stop it from sitting in.

Old 07-28-2017, 04:21 PM
myw
the airbag should be more flush...

i have seen plastic air bag covers being sold on eBay, so there may have been a some funny stuff going on?

where did you get that wheel? the work on it and flat bottom looks great.

great progress btw.

Originally Posted by ocmacman17
I think my airbag has been modified or a different cover has been put on it. I am trying to find the pics of the airbag before I sent it out to be wrapped. The sticker is not on the airbag and I think it was before I sent it off. The airbag does not fit well. The wheel and module install I did and went very well.

Old 08-13-2017, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by slawek
I’ve install the PDK steering wheel on my 2007 turbo in summer 2015 . Steering wheel, airbag and module for the wheel-99761328901. My car had a Tip. sport steering wheel without multi-function controls.
It was plug and play, everything was working right after the installation from the start of the engine, no programing was necessary in my case. There is a “sport” sing on the left side of my steering wheel when I activate “sport mode” as well No errors on dashboard and the horn is working without any issues.
I did this mod and the horn doesn't work. I bought pdk steering wheel and the appropriate airbag. Tech at indie can't get the horn to work. Everything else works, paddles, "sport" sign etc. Horn is only thing that doesn. It is piwis coded as multi function. Are there specific wheel and airbag combinations I need to consider?? Thanks.

Old 08-13-2017, 05:55 PM
I did this mod and the horn doesn't work. I bought pdk steering wheel and the appropriate airbag. Tech at indie can't get the horn to work. Everything else works, paddles, "sport" sign etc. Horn is only thing that doesn. It is piwis coded as multi function. Are there specific wheel and airbag combinations I need to consider?? Thanks.
all the wheels and airbags are interchangeable. Your indi isn't doing something right. What year is your car? If it's older than 2009, did you upgrade the module? I'm sure you did, or the paddles wouldn't work.

i think the indi needs to figure it out by calling a friend.

Old 08-13-2017, 07:00 PM
Thanks. I am thinking of going to another indie or Carlson porsche (next time I am in the bay area). My car is a 2006 C2S Tiptronic.

Old 04-19-2018, 04:56 PM
997 bi turbo is an unknown quantity at this point
Bo

Thanks. I am thinking of going to another indie or Carlson porsche (next time I am in the bay area). My car is a 2006 C2S Tiptronic.
​​​​​Bonjour, je vie en France est suis propriétaire d'une 997 bi turbo. J'ai installé un volant pdk +air bar et remplacé mon ECU par un 99761328901. J'ai programmé l'ensemble avec le piwis, et le klaxon ne fonctionne pas, avez réussi à résoudre votre problème comme le miens ? Merci d'avance

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.