997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Rix 997.1 Turbo Project 121

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 07:05 AM
M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rix

The TiAL internally gated housings are designed with much larger internal gates than are typical, and use a novel (patented I believe?) design that swirls air around the outside of the air that is coming through the turbine which raises turbine efficiency. If you talk to the designers of the parts they will tell you the setup actually works better than a traditional external wastegate setup. I'm not really qualified to give an engineering dissertation on it, but it sure works well on my car which was enough to convince me.
The design TiAL released for the Porsche market will make the internal wastegate more efficient because you are using the high velocity coming off the turbine stage to pull gas out of the internal wastegate gas passage. In essence it will make the internal wastegate appear or flow like a larger one. Same scavenging principles you use on an X pipe, H pipe, etc. You could argue you may gain maybe 1-2 points or so of turbine efficiency as well because you are blending the gasses cleaner than a traditional internal wastegate. We would have to run it on a gas stand to know and aftermarket doesn't have the pockets for this.

What I don't know is what is the flow coeff of their internal wastegate orifice / poppet they had to package in the space. They would have an estimate if they used CFD to design the volute, standard work in industry. They should have confirmed it on a bench to correlate the model. If a cut away snap shot was available you could do a gut check if it should flow well or not.

I think its a nice packaging solution for sure.

Old 09-25-2017, 07:58 AM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rix
About a thousand.
squeeze a 60-130 out of it Dan...

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |
Old 09-25-2017, 12:36 PM
dinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond repute
amazing build and wishing you many happy miles!! Thank you for sharing in detail all the hard work that went into it.

Old 09-26-2017, 05:51 AM
odem is a splendid one to beholdodem is a splendid one to beholdodem is a splendid one to beholdodem is a splendid one to beholdodem is a splendid one to beholdodem is a splendid one to beholdodem is a splendid one to behold
whats the size of your headers? ID?
there are so many different opinions on whats better. big or small. less exhaust reversion, cooler cylinder temps and detonation supression vs better spool.
did someone of guys here that run 1000+ hp test different sizes?

Old 09-27-2017, 07:28 AM
jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !
Odem.. you are overthinking it, i assure you. make em as big as reasonable. 1.75-2" and roll with it.

with 30+psi in the exhaust system, its just not as big of a deal as an NA motor.

Old 09-27-2017, 07:37 AM
M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !
I agree with Jordon. Not sure what your project entails but if you are looking for the 1kHP target you should be looking at 1.75" primaries and the turbos you will need to hit that number will be looking for a 2" collector.

On the reversion comment, there are things you can do in the header to help with that which is probably what you are getting at. However the ideal way to control that is a proper turbo match. Most matches you see in the aftermarket have too much back pressure because if you had a bigger turbine stage the customer will complain about lag.

I use 1.625" on mine with 63.5mm VTGs and spool up is as fast as anything I have seen. If one day go for 1kHp the headers will be 1.75".

Old 09-27-2017, 06:39 PM
odem is a splendid one to beholdodem is a splendid one to beholdodem is a splendid one to beholdodem is a splendid one to beholdodem is a splendid one to beholdodem is a splendid one to beholdodem is a splendid one to behold
thanks for answering guys. 1,75" inner diameter is what we are going to run on EFR7163 which are good for ~1.100hp on 102octane and 30+psi.
dont wanna hijack rix's thread.

Old 10-10-2017, 02:08 AM
rix
rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !
I'm drowning in data, video and pictures from the Texas Invitational race this weekend! Here's a couple teasers with the HRE wheels and Toyo R888R's installed. The car hooks in first gear on the R888R with Syvecs traction control. I was shocked.

Old 10-11-2017, 03:07 PM
rix
rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by IMI A
Whats the format buddy? Car looks great

Texas Invitational is side by side drag racing with a rolling start on the runway. Cars start with a brisk acceleration to ~60mph in the yellow zone (see pic), then enter the starting zone (orange). There is a drag style tree at the end of the orange zone, when the cars are relatively side by side in the starting zone the light goes green and you go. In general drag racing rules apply - don't cross the center line, first person to the finish line wins regardless of speed.

If the start is deemed uneven, cars can't line up, one is lagging behind, etc. a red light is thrown and both cars turn around and try again. It's not a perfect system, and sometimes people try to play games but that happens in all forms of racing.

I like it a lot better than straight drag racing because there aren't concrete walls to run into like there are at a drag strip, and the rolling start is a LOT easier on the equipment and lets you run a more streetable wheel/tire setup instead of requiring huge slicks, 15" wheels, and small brakes.

Here's a video of a race against a turbo Lamborghini.

Old 10-12-2017, 09:58 AM
Dguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of light
Very nice, this is the kind of invitational I need to find in my area. I'd probably lose from a dig as I'm still trying to figure out the most consistent way to launch mine. At the same time don't really want to do it that much given the stress on the transmission and drive train components. I would much prefer a rolling race method...

Old 10-12-2017, 12:44 PM
rix
Best trap speed was 172. My exhaust is plugging things up I believe. I'm also limiting torque in the mid-range to protect the transmission so there's still some more in it. I'm going to experiment with straight pipes to see if it's the turbine housing or the exhaust that is holding me back. I was hoping to go 175-176mph so I'm in the ballpark. That's also pretty close to 200mph in the 1/2 mile which would be nice to reach as well.

Race distance is in the graphic, but it's 1500 feet from the end of the starting zone to the finish line. The rest of the runway is braking area.

Old 10-16-2017, 11:07 PM
rix
Here's some more data from the race. The racing format isn't conducive to 60-130, but I did get a good 100-150mph graph from the vBox.

Old 10-17-2017, 04:14 AM
ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !
Looks fast ,congrats bro
how much boost u were pushing ??

Old 10-17-2017, 05:49 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Wow, that 100-150mph time is awesome. We're not worthy.

I didn't drop a bolt into my intake but the engine is coming down for inspection and replacing of hoses. But I doubt Mrs. Bogg would follow Mrs. Rix's lead in encouraging a go-faster build.

Old 10-17-2017, 06:06 PM
rix
Originally Posted by ysfg35
Looks fast ,congrats bro
how much boost u were pushing ??
It's right around 27psi.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Rix 997.1 Turbo Project 121