997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Rix 997.1 Turbo Project 121

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 02:10 AM
rix
rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !
It's embarrassing that this thread has less views than a steering wheel swap thread.

Old 06-27-2017, 07:41 AM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rix
It's embarrassing that this thread has less views than a steering wheel swap thread.

put a new steering wheel in your car

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |
Old 06-27-2017, 08:02 AM
Basic Sponsor
PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !
Awesome project! Kudos to Steve...he's the man... oh and that Y-pipe looks sick!

Edwin

Old 06-27-2017, 11:06 AM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rix
Awesome stuff! many have no idea what goes into this type of build. Even if you just skimp which you are not!

Old 06-27-2017, 11:31 AM
M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rix
A shame but with the steering wheel swap more people can relate and its obtainable for most.

However for us engine performance junkies, this is a phenomenal thread . Its a great way to empty pockets too as I found out with my mere 700whp lol

Old 06-27-2017, 02:23 PM
Dguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by M3 Maestro
A shame but with the steering wheel swap more people can relate and its obtainable for most.

However for us engine performance junkies, this is a phenomenal thread . Its a great way to empty pockets too as I found out with my mere 700whp lol
haha! Laughed at this post. For those of us who like modifications, this post has been awesome. Can't wait to get my fully built now 997.1 with 3.8 engine back from John Bray and Sam By Design. It won't be anything like this monster but awesome for my needs. Great thread and huge accomplishment to Rix. I've learned a lot just by reading it!!!

Old 06-27-2017, 04:50 PM
rix
rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dguth
haha! Laughed at this post. For those of us who like modifications, this post has been awesome. Can't wait to get my fully built now 997.1 with 3.8 engine back from John Bray and Sam By Design. It won't be anything like this monster but awesome for my needs. Great thread and huge accomplishment to Rix. I've learned a lot just by reading it!!!
When I first got my car back I was a little nervous with it, wasn't really used to driving it again yet and I somehow ended up driving it through rush hour traffic in Dallas to get home. As I was coming up the tollway (in the center lane) I was slowly catching up to a car in front of me in the right lane. We were going around a little bit of a curve to the left so she looked back and made what appeared to be eye contact with me. Then she looked in her side view as I was coming up on her, and I could see she must have seen my car. Then she just proceeded to come over into my lane anyway. I did really the only thing I could do, which was hit the brakes and give her my lane. I was fuming mad at this point and decided I didn't want to be behind her so I hopped into the right lane where she had been and passed her. Looked over as I was going by but she was looking straight ahead with her hands 10 and 2 on the wheel. I'd had about enough of that, and realized that honking was child's play - I actually have something worthy of revving at someone again. So I looked in my sideview mirror, pushed in the clutch and floored it. Which is really the whole point of the story - I was shocked at how quick John's 3.8 setup revved up. It hit the rev limiter almost instantly, and let out two HUGE pops and shot fire all over the fender of her car before I could even let off the gas. Luckily she didn't crash, but I thought she was going to the way she reacted.

Old 06-27-2017, 04:56 PM
rix
Originally Posted by prodigymb
put a new steering wheel in your car
You know I should. I'll do an unboxing video of when it comes, talk about the quality of the hand stitched leather and beautiful alcantara. Then I can do a video showing how to remove the factory wheel and properly clock the new one and include that in the thread.

I'll call it -

"GT2RS Red Alcantara PORSCHE -- There is no substitude... to the interface to your car"

That thread would burn the 6speed servers to the ground.

Old 06-27-2017, 05:30 PM
rix
Oh shirt, get your towels ready it's about to go down...

Old 06-27-2017, 06:47 PM
skyak will become famous soon enoughskyak will become famous soon enough
Hi Rix, very interested to hear your impressions on the clutch.

Old 06-28-2017, 03:10 AM
rix
Originally Posted by skyak
Hi Rix, very interested to hear your impressions on the clutch.
The clutch is great, one of my favorite things about the car. The way it shifts with the Tilton is shocking. If you scroll up somewhere in the thread there is video of the 4-5 shift. Although I'd heard people say it before, I had not realized how big of a difference it would make.

From a drivability standpoint it feels like a stock clutch. It slips smooth as silk. The pedal effort is very low as well. In fact, if it were any lower it might be difficult to drive. Engagement window is good, it is not an on/off switch. I can literally let off the clutch from idle without touching the gas to take off from a stop.

The only question mark is how well it wears, but the way I drive it I expect it to last a long time before it needs service/shimming. I'll find out at the end of the year, which unless something unexpected happens is the next time I plan on having the transmission out of the car.

The way I look at it is you can spend ~6500 on the Tilton and know you have the best clutch out there, great drivability, and great shifting. When people are losing syncros in high horsepower builds that's directly related to how well the clutch unloads and releases. I suspect the trans will live a lot longer with this clutch than others.

Or you can spend ~4500 on an ERP carbon clutch, be wary of revisions, and know that engagement window isn't ideal. Then you spend $135 on the RSS clutch stop (it comes with the Tilton kit from Evospec), and $1200 on the clutch slave cylinder from BBi. I have no personal experience with the BBi slave, but talking to a good friend who has one scared me off. He was in the 1000whp+ Supra crowd for years and knows what he's doing. Has an '07 Turbo with bolt ons now. He said the pedal effort on the BBi slave was very high and he didn't like it. You're into it for ~$5800. I think it's too much of a compromise in reliability, performance, and peace of mind.

Or you can spend ~4500 and get the twin disc Protomotive/Driversource clutch. I have no experience with it, but Jordon is running it here locally and DFW and likes it. Steve says it works, Protomotive says it works. Drivability is good, engagement window is good. You still need the clutch stop and clutch slave cylinder conversion. It's even money with the ERP, but probably doesn't hold as much torque and certainly doesn't release as well as the Tilton. It does however drive like a stock clutch, and as long as you're not launching the car all the time it will work well.

You're really talking about a $700 difference when you compare it apples to apples. My argument is just suck it up and buy the Tilton. Even if you have to shim it once a year I think that's an acceptable service life given the criteria. For a daily driver I'd probably go with the Protomotive twin from Steve. He does modify them slightly, although I don't know what he does. They are running quite a few of them in the Houston cars and they work. I've just seen too many failures and problems with the ERP to make it feel worth it.

My only nagging issue with the Protomotive setup is the value proposition, it's effectively a modified stock style clutch setup to accept two stock style discs. I have the same issue with it as I had with the Protomotive intake parts, a high price with a lower materials cost. Just doesn't strike me as a good value. Just my opinion.

Last edited by rix; 06-28-2017 at 03:19 AM.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:46 AM
skyak will become famous soon enoughskyak will become famous soon enough
Thank you! Would be awesome to check out your car next time you are down in H-town.

Old 06-28-2017, 07:22 AM
vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rix
The clutch is great, one of my favorite things about the car. The way it shifts with the Tilton is shocking. If you scroll up somewhere in the thread there is video of the 4-5 shift. Although I'd heard people say it before, I had not realized how big of a difference it would make.

From a drivability standpoint it feels like a stock clutch. It slips smooth as silk. The pedal effort is very low as well. In fact, if it were any lower it might be difficult to drive. Engagement window is good, it is not an on/off switch. I can literally let off the clutch from idle without touching the gas to take off from a stop.

The only question mark is how well it wears, but the way I drive it I expect it to last a long time before it needs service/shimming. I'll find out at the end of the year, which unless something unexpected happens is the next time I plan on having the transmission out of the car.

The way I look at it is you can spend ~6500 on the Tilton and know you have the best clutch out there, great drivability, and great shifting. When people are losing syncros in high horsepower builds that's directly related to how well the clutch unloads and releases. I suspect the trans will live a lot longer with this clutch than others.

Or you can spend ~4500 on an ERP carbon clutch, be wary of revisions, and know that engagement window isn't ideal. Then you spend $135 on the RSS clutch stop (it comes with the Tilton kit from Evospec), and $1200 on the clutch slave cylinder from BBi. I have no personal experience with the BBi slave, but talking to a good friend who has one scared me off. He was in the 1000whp+ Supra crowd for years and knows what he's doing. Has an '07 Turbo with bolt ons now. He said the pedal effort on the BBi slave was very high and he didn't like it. You're into it for ~$5800. I think it's too much of a compromise in reliability, performance, and peace of mind.

Or you can spend ~4500 and get the twin disc Protomotive/Driversource clutch. I have no experience with it, but Jordon is running it here locally and DFW and likes it. Steve says it works, Protomotive says it works. Drivability is good, engagement window is good. You still need the clutch stop and clutch slave cylinder conversion. It's even money with the ERP, but probably doesn't hold as much torque and certainly doesn't release as well as the Tilton. It does however drive like a stock clutch, and as long as you're not launching the car all the time it will work well.

You're really talking about a $700 difference when you compare it apples to apples. My argument is just suck it up and buy the Tilton. Even if you have to shim it once a year I think that's an acceptable service life given the criteria. For a daily driver I'd probably go with the Protomotive twin from Steve. He does modify them slightly, although I don't know what he does. They are running quite a few of them in the Houston cars and they work. I've just seen too many failures and problems with the ERP to make it feel worth it.

My only nagging issue with the Protomotive setup is the value proposition, it's effectively a modified stock style clutch setup to accept two stock style discs. I have the same issue with it as I had with the Protomotive intake parts, a high price with a lower materials cost. Just doesn't strike me as a good value. Just my opinion.
Proto clutch does NOT need a clutch stop. It drives like stock and will hold whatever you throw at it. I've yet to smell or feel any clutch slip with over 1300 whp. ERP clutch = you wanting to sell your car every time you drive it (which isn't very often, because you don't want to drive it with that clutch, so you take your SUV or pickup instead). I have no experience with the Tilton except that it sucks to have to rebuild it every year.

Old 06-28-2017, 07:22 AM
TT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond repute
I love threads like these, a few points:

- the bbi slave mod is not as bad as people make it to be, yes you notice a big difference the first time you drive it, but you very quickly get used to it, feels just like driving a 3RS for the very first time ...

- the proto twin, it works!! Also not that expensive, its around 1800 if you send your own RS flywheel and 764 pplate ....

Great thread I keep going back to your pivs I love your attention to details

Old 06-28-2017, 07:27 AM
trbofvr has much to be proud oftrbofvr has much to be proud oftrbofvr has much to be proud oftrbofvr has much to be proud oftrbofvr has much to be proud oftrbofvr has much to be proud oftrbofvr has much to be proud oftrbofvr has much to be proud oftrbofvr has much to be proud of
rix, why does the Tilton come with a clutch stop if it engages like stock? That's confusing.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Rix 997.1 Turbo Project 121