997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Cobb Accessport Not Communicating With Vehicle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 06:48 PM
erikchich has a brilliant futureerikchich has a brilliant futureerikchich has a brilliant futureerikchich has a brilliant futureerikchich has a brilliant futureerikchich has a brilliant futureerikchich has a brilliant futureerikchich has a brilliant futureerikchich has a brilliant futureerikchich has a brilliant futureerikchich has a brilliant future
Cobb Accessport Not Communicating With Vehicle

Recently my car had been sitting for a while due to getting a wrap installed on it and also sitting in the shop getting some issues sorted out and as a result of this my battery died. Tried charging it but that didn't help so decided to swap in a new battery. After the battery swap, my Cobb AP has been acting weird and not communicating with the ECU.

It's coming on when I first start the car up and goes to the gauges screen for a few seconds and then gives me an error message of not being able to communicate with the car or a system error. Below are pictures of both error messages. Since the error message says "OBD hardware fault" I checked both ends of the OBD cable and both are in tact, no bent prongs or anything. The cable itself is fine as well, no slits or tears. I updated the firmware by connecting to accessport manager and that didn't help either.

Any ideas on what could could be causing this or has someone else experienced this? I've contacted my tuner about it and I'm thinking I should contact Cobb as well but just figured I would ask here first. Maybe it's something simple

Name:  image2_zpszsrmpqzx.jpeg
Views: 7191
Size:  127.2 KB

Name:  image1_zpsdaepkpwu.jpeg
Views: 6651
Size:  107.4 KB

Name:  image3_zpsjykphivq.jpeg
Views: 6319
Size:  141.7 KB

Name:  image4_zpsndgyfpoa.jpeg
Views: 6358
Size:  111.5 KB

Old 05-29-2017, 09:10 PM
A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !
Not uncommon. Cycle the key, and pull and plug the cable back into the OBD port. You may need to do this 10-15 times before it'll connect back. Happens every now and then to most of us for unknown reasons. Some say doing a code clear/ECU reset helps some too.

I will say that the hardware error is not normally seen though. If you can't get it to connect after doing the above, contact Cobb. You'll likely have to send your unit in.

Old 06-08-2017, 06:17 AM
erikchich has a brilliant futureerikchich has a brilliant futureerikchich has a brilliant futureerikchich has a brilliant futureerikchich has a brilliant futureerikchich has a brilliant futureerikchich has a brilliant futureerikchich has a brilliant futureerikchich has a brilliant futureerikchich has a brilliant futureerikchich has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by A418t81
Not uncommon. Cycle the key, and pull and plug the cable back into the OBD port. You may need to do this 10-15 times before it'll connect back. Happens every now and then to most of us for unknown reasons. Some say doing a code clear/ECU reset helps some too.

I will say that the hardware error is not normally seen though. If you can't get it to connect after doing the above, contact Cobb. You'll likely have to send your unit in.
I tried cycling the key and plugging the cable back in. I was able to get it to connect to the ECU and read codes & cleared codes or "reset ecu" from the troubleshooting menu. The accessport worked for about a day and I just got in the car yesterday to take it for a spin and it's giving me the same error again.

Is Cobb on this forum? I've asked my tuner about it and he said he has not seen this OBD error before.

Old 06-08-2017, 10:06 AM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Hey Eric!
They can be quirky at times if there is a voltage thing or the connection is bad or even just random. If you call Cobb Charles will likely pick up and help you go through a few things. I say connect to AP manager and do a firmware update. Then go back and you will likely be ok. There have been several updates since you got your unit. Feel free to call me!

Old 06-08-2017, 11:33 AM
SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !
Had this happen to me, sent an email to Cobb and they ran me through some troubleshooting then replaced my cable with a new one, which fixed everything.

Old 06-08-2017, 11:47 AM
Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
Hey Eric!
They can be quirky at times if there is a voltage thing or the connection is bad or even just random. If you call Cobb Charles will likely pick up and help you go through a few things. I say connect to AP manager and do a firmware update. Then go back and you will likely be ok. There have been several updates since you got your unit. Feel free to call me!
Hey Sam. I actually did a firmware update as one of my preliminary troubleshooting steps right before I made this thread and it didn't seem to help. I'm going to mess around with the cable and spray some contact cleaner on it and see if that does anything. I'm sure you'll be getting a call sooner or later once I get frustrated with trying to make it work

Old 06-08-2017, 11:49 AM
Originally Posted by SeattleTurbo
Had this happen to me, sent an email to Cobb and they ran me through some troubleshooting then replaced my cable with a new one, which fixed everything.
I emailed Cobb support this morning. Hopefully they get back to me soon. Nice to know I'm not the only one who's experienced this. Maybe this will result in a faulty cable as well. I'm just hoping I don't have to send my accessport in to them.

Old 06-08-2017, 12:09 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Cheers buddy good luck. The cable may have gotten pinched or damaged as well. They do take calls too. Good luck!

Old 06-09-2017, 05:01 PM
4ocious is just really nice4ocious is just really nice4ocious is just really nice4ocious is just really nice
Thanks guys, you just convinced me not to go the Cobb route.

Old 06-09-2017, 05:16 PM
A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !
Every home flashing solution will occasionally have a hiccup. It is a minor annoyance in this case, and not even related to the ECU you have in your .2 lol.

Old 06-09-2017, 06:17 PM
Former Vendor
I spoke to Eric. Just FYI Cobb got back to him via email in hours. I suggested he call and they shipped him a new cable on the spot. It may have gotten kinked or damaged but they sent him a $70 cable no questions. When you hear about a few issues out of thousands of clients and they get solved like that I'd say they get an A+ and that's another reason I love Cobb.

Old 06-12-2017, 07:02 AM
Originally Posted by 4ocious
Thanks guys, you just convinced me not to go the Cobb route.
I in no way shape or form wanted anyone to think that with me making this thread, I simply made it to get some different opinions on what to do.

Cobb is sending me a new cable to try out no questions asked and free of charge. It should be arriving today and I will comment back on if that fixed it. They have been a great company to deal with as well as Sam @ ByDesign and I suggest you talk with him about tuning options before you make a decision!

I had a different tune from a competitor company previously and was very disappointed. I will be sticking with Cobb for the remainder of my Porsche ownership. Feel free to PM me if you'd like an opinion from someone who's tried more than 1 company's tune.

Old 01-09-2018, 05:36 PM
urbanscribe is an unknown quantity at this point
Can’t communicate

same problem here today on 997.2 TTS

it connected fine
completed the ÉCU backup
then When finished after 100% it gave us the same one way sign - can’t communicate
Dozen of codes - Christmas tree on gauge cluster

spoke to Cobb who answered right away

they mentioned - which after a lot of research I had never seen - that Post 2008 P cars needed a 10-12Amp battery charger. Standard Ctek too small. 15A won’t do
needless to say no one carries such a specific device so ordered online

will update once at next step
Updated firmware
accessport connects to P.C.
Any other thoughts welcome

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.