997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Coolant Pipe Leak Month

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 09:37 AM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by faiz
why r u dropping the motor? To recheck all the work done by bt? hope not. If so u should tell z....that aint right
So I did text Z about the problem I had and his first response was to bring him the car and he would check it out and take care of things, which was nice. I explained that I was thinking of having more work done while the engine was out including possibly having the camshafts taken out and sent out for pinning and for that reason I was going to get a Porsche tech to do the work. I asked if perhaps Z would be willing to give me a shop credit considering I wasn't getting him to take the engine down etc... Perhaps that was offensive to him, I don't know, but in the end he said he couldn't do that and acted like I had "attacked" him based on my online posts. I have reread my posts and don't think I "attacked" him. In any case, since there is now bad blood I guess I will cut my losses there and get the work done at either MVS or directly with the Porsche tech I was introduced to.

Boost Theory has done at least 5 or 6 pinning jobs so they certainly have some experience doing it. I don't know who else does it around here.

Old 10-26-2017, 09:39 AM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Up to this point (2 weeks and hundreds of kms) I haven't seen the coolant level drop so I'm hoping that there is no damage to the head gasket etc...

Most of you already know this but for those of you that don't - if you see the "check coolant level" light come on then pull over right away and don't keep driving!

Old 10-30-2017, 08:30 PM
Bargo is on a distinguished road
My coolant has been leaking this month too!! Car is currently at the dealer getting fixed up (fingers crossed, under extended warranty)

Old 10-30-2017, 09:01 PM
That extended warranty is gonna come in handy for this one!

Old 03-02-2018, 08:45 PM
Just an update - my engine is out right now and some "issues" were pointed out to me. I debated whether or not to post about them but since I've already seemingly "burned bridges" with the last shop I will post details. Not for the sake of slagging the other shop but to remind people to do their due diligence when getting work done on the 997tt. It's worth seeking out a shop with experience because there are a lot of details. Case in point: when the previous shop dropped my engine they disconnected the hoses to the power steering pump but instead of just pulling it off it's obvious they used a vice grip and pried it off. The connections didn't leak as far as I could tell but there was clear damage. It's gonna cost me a few hundred for new cables here....
Numerous crappy style clamps on the hoses where things were taken apart in order to pin the coolant lines. In short, it was worthwhile for me to have the engine dropped and get all these things looked at. Plus, there seems to be a little oil leaking around the oil tank, probably just gaskets so I'll get that taken care of. Maybe the boxer engine wasn't drinking oil like I had thought!

Old 03-02-2018, 09:34 PM
Rengoku is just really niceRengoku is just really niceRengoku is just really niceRengoku is just really nice
Originally Posted by The Bogg
Just an update - my engine is out right now and some "issues" were pointed out to me. I debated whether or not to post about them but since I've already seemingly "burned bridges" with the last shop I will post details. Not for the sake of slagging the other shop but to remind people to do their due diligence when getting work done on the 997tt. It's worth seeking out a shop with experience because there are a lot of details. Case in point: when the previous shop dropped my engine they disconnected the hoses to the power steering pump but instead of just pulling it off it's obvious they used a vice grip and pried it off. The connections didn't leak as far as I could tell but there was clear damage. It's gonna cost me a few hundred for new cables here....
Numerous crappy style clamps on the hoses where things were taken apart in order to pin the coolant lines. In short, it was worthwhile for me to have the engine dropped and get all these things looked at. Plus, there seems to be a little oil leaking around the oil tank, probably just gaskets so I'll get that taken care of. Maybe the boxer engine wasn't drinking oil like I had thought!
Wow, sorry to hear about that. It's really all about the little details eh. Did MVS point out these issues? or you're having another Porsche Tech looking at your car now?

Old 03-02-2018, 09:37 PM
faiz is just really nicefaiz is just really nicefaiz is just really nicefaiz is just really nice
oh maaaaaaaan

Old 03-03-2018, 06:19 AM
It was MVS that pointed it out. MVS is at a convenient location for me to pop by and check on things. They always welcome me into the shop and I can ask lots of questions and go over things. I am internally scrutinizing the way they work and am satisfied that Nick and Mario are meticulous and know their way around this car.

I think that every shop probably disses any previous shops work, lol, but in this case the types of mistakes made on my car aren't acceptable. Using an oversized worm gear clamp on a hose is just messy and can potentially cause problems over time. The original shop that put my 68s on (not any of the shops listed) didn't replace the little rubber o-ring going to the turbo coolant inlet. I think they siliconed it!! No issue but not the best option. Details matter, especially with these cars and the extra heat generated from increasing the power...

Old 03-03-2018, 08:50 AM
faiz is just really nicefaiz is just really nicefaiz is just really nicefaiz is just really nice
Lesson learned

nick and Mario have an acceptable level of ocd to get the job done right.

They had had to fix up a bunch of stuff after my coolant lines got pinned.

If if I were u I would consider getting them redone while engine is out.

Old 03-03-2018, 06:37 PM
I will definitely have them look at the pinning job to see if anything needs revising. What exactly did you need to have fixed? Did the engine have to come down?

Old 03-03-2018, 10:01 PM
maverick997 is a name known to allmaverick997 is a name known to allmaverick997 is a name known to allmaverick997 is a name known to allmaverick997 is a name known to allmaverick997 is a name known to all
Well mine started leaking...33k miles...shark Werks pipes installed and warranty covered it. Took the opportunity to replace plugs and other hoses that you can only get to with engine out...piece of mind. Porsche dealer did the work so good for provenance going forward.

Attached Images  
Old 03-04-2018, 06:53 AM
Maverick, I believe the P dealer would have re-epoxied the fittings and not pinned or welded them. Unless it was just a hose leak?

I'm changing a ton of things - plugs, water pump, difficult to get to sensors, hoses etc...

Old 03-05-2018, 09:17 AM
FirstStateCamber is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by maverick997
Well mine started leaking...33k miles...shark Werks pipes installed and warranty covered it. Took the opportunity to replace plugs and other hoses that you can only get to with engine out...piece of mind. Porsche dealer did the work so good for provenance going forward.
Did the warranty cover the cost of parts (SharkWerks) as well or just the labor portion? I was going to order these to have them if/when it occurs but why spend the dough right?

Old 03-06-2018, 08:15 PM
Turbo Racer is on a distinguished road
Can you guys who know say what years this affects? Is this a Mezger engine problem only or does it also affect the direct injection motors? Thanks!

Old 03-11-2018, 10:07 AM
Jako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to behold
I've joined the club

Noticed a puddle of pink fluid under the passenger side. Check the reservoir and the level is below minimum. Bring the car into my Indi tomorrow. He told me to top off with water and if the coolant warning come on to pull over and turn off the car. Car only has 28k miles on it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Coolant Pipe Leak Month