6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   997 Turbo / GT2 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-turbo-gt2-58/)
-   -   Coolant Pipe Leak Month (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-turbo-gt2/408249-coolant-pipe-leak-month.html)

Staff@WORLD 06-09-2017 03:43 PM

Coolant Pipe Leak Month

I do not know what has been going on the last month but we had 3 997 turbos in the shop to get the coolant pipes changed. We never had such a rush of these jobs before.

If you are in SoCal and your car develops the coolant like issue we are more than happy to walk you through the complete process to repair it. It's an engine out repair so we can also replace any other worn part and do some preventative maintenance while we are in there.

amge63 06-10-2017 06:23 AM

What other incidental repairs will you do as a matter of course?

Staff@WORLD 06-11-2017 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by amge63 (Post 4642491)
What other incidental repairs will you do as a matter of course?

The last car received a new water pump, new O-rings and some off the other hoses were changed. We also had the injectors checked and cleaned.

We often do plugs and coils at this time as well as perform clutch jobs (this last car was a tiptronic).

We look for all worn part and replace them and we do any modifications the customer may want performed while the engine is out.

maverick997 06-12-2017 08:14 PM

What milage do the cars your seeing have on them? Curious if there is correlation between leaks, age and milage....I have 33k on an 07 and as yet dry and tight.....I know it's not if but when....

nzskater 06-13-2017 01:22 AM

No correlation. Has happened across a broad range of cars in terms of mileage.

997TTEQNY 06-13-2017 08:03 AM

I know now that Ive read this threak I will be next LOL

BMiller33 06-13-2017 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Staff@WORLD (Post 4642390)
I do not know what has been going on the last month but we had 3 997 turbos in the shop to get the coolant pipes changed. We never had such a rush of these jobs before.

If you are in SoCal and your car develops the coolant like issue we are more than happy to walk you through the complete process to repair it. It's an engine out repair so we can also replace any other worn part and do some preventative maintenance while we are in there.

So what's this all about?? Any insight?

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post4642598

Skwerl 06-13-2017 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by 997TTEQNY (Post 4643133)
I know now that Ive read this threak I will be next LOL

Reading 6speed and Rennlist is fun except for now every time I start my car I know that my coolant pipes are about to blow, my camshaft is going to spin out, my rear wing's hydraulics are going to pop, and I'll snap a rod and grenade my engine. Probably all on the same drive to Target.

robhamster 06-13-2017 09:48 AM

My '07 tt started to leak coolant during the winter storage in 2013 with about 41K miles. The next winter the same with about 48K miles so I opted to have the pipes welded. Did the clutch , a new radiator in the front drivers side, and the oil/water heat exchanger, which was leaking as well. It is amazing when the engine was out, some of the fittings that were not leaking, the mechanic showed me how he pulled them out with little effort as the epoxy Porsche used was crumbling. Epic failure was imminent.

Dguth 06-13-2017 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Skwerl (Post 4643142)
Reading 6speed and Rennlist is fun except for now every time I start my car I know that my coolant pipes are about to blow, my camshaft is going to spin out, my rear wing's hydraulics are going to pop, and I'll snap a rod and grenade my engine. Probably all on the same drive to Target.

Choked on my coffee laughing while reading this. While many are paranoid this will happen - I'm living proof many of these things "can" happen... hilarious

mikestyle 06-13-2017 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Skwerl (Post 4643142)

Not to worry, my coolant lines have blown twice even after pinning, I also spun my cam and blew a turbo! All in one summer :mad:

Just waiting for my spoiler to fail.

Skwerl 06-13-2017 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by mikestyle (Post 4643289)
Not to worry, my coolant lines have blown twice even after pinning, I also spun my cam and blew a turbo! All in one summer :mad:

Wow! That's sure a worst case scenario. Any insight on what happened? Was your car just built by interns on the Friday afternoon before everyone's vacation?

mikestyle 06-14-2017 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by Skwerl (Post 4643321)
Wow! That's sure a worst case scenario. Any insight on what happened? Was your car just built by interns on the Friday afternoon before everyone's vacation?

No idea, the car has been pretty good otherwise. I do have 100,000km on the clock. Pretty sure my turbo blew because of a boost leak.

rob.boost 06-14-2017 07:40 AM

My car is a 2007, had around 18,000 miles when the pipe right next to the water pump decided to completely fail while doing a 160-170mph pull. Lost all of my coolant in a matter of seconds. This was almost 2 years ago, decided to get mine welded and never looked back.

The Bogg 10-14-2017 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by mikestyle (Post 4643289)

Mike, who pinned your coolant lines - just wondering if we used the same shop. I'm currently going through some "issues".