997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Attn: COBB... PDK tuning on COBB

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 08:06 PM
Southpaw07 is a jewel in the roughSouthpaw07 is a jewel in the roughSouthpaw07 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Big Swole
Too good of a deal to pass up. Less than 1/2 retail and even less than half of the black friday discount on cobb or Suncoast (Second hand and in like new condition. I just had to update the firmware)

Loaded the Stg. 2- 93 Oct. OTS tune. NICE little bump in power for sure. Feels a bit smoother as well.

I think now I need to opt. for the PDK tune and call it Good!!

Anybody have any experience with the PDK tunes and which setting to go with on the Stg. 2 OTS tune? Sport vs. Aggressive (that adds everything sport has, plus quicker up / down shifts)??

Is relearn recommended for just the Aggressive? (according to Cobb)

Don't think I'm anywhere near or will be near the recommended added power for the "High Torque" setting.

Do you notice any difference in response time between paddle pull and gear change? I know that it depends on throttle percentage when stock but I'm hoping the gear change is more instant even at lower throttle.

Old 11-27-2018, 08:15 PM
Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Southpaw07
Do you notice any difference in response time between paddle pull and gear change? I know that it depends on throttle percentage when stock but I'm hoping the gear change is more instant even at lower throttle.

Actually I was unable to really tell since I didn't have much time / distance in testing tonight.
Since it does seem to change depending on throttle inputs, It's really hard to tell if it changed.
At slower speeds and minimum throttle inputs, it seemed about the same (that slight delay the 997.2 has compared to 991....Although I've only heard 991's are quicker..never driven one yet).
Now, the "Aggressive" PDK mode is supposed to add the "Faster Up & Down shifts" to everything the "Sport" mode adds.
I hope to test this mode on my next off day with good weather. I ran out of time tonight.

Sorry I couldn't provide more insight on your question.

David

Old 11-27-2018, 08:45 PM
Southpaw07 is a jewel in the roughSouthpaw07 is a jewel in the roughSouthpaw07 is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Big Swole
Actually I was unable to really tell since I didn't have much time / distance in testing tonight.
Since it does seem to change depending on throttle inputs, It's really hard to tell if it changed.
At slower speeds and minimum throttle inputs, it seemed about the same (that slight delay the 997.2 has compared to 991....Although I've only heard 991's are quicker..never driven one yet).
Now, the "Aggressive" PDK mode is supposed to add the "Faster Up & Down shifts" to everything the "Sport" mode adds.
I hope to test this mode on my next off day with good weather. I ran out of time tonight.

Sorry I couldn't provide more insight on your question.

David
Cool....give me an update as soon as you get more testing in.

Old 12-07-2018, 06:32 PM
Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Southpaw07
Cool....give me an update as soon as you get more testing in.

Went for a mountain drive yesterday. Basically I'm not able to say if the "sport" tune feels much different in "Manual" mode and driving fairly aggressive. I want to say it's a little quicker / better, but maybe I'm just not able to detect it enough to call it a "major" change.

I however did NOT get a chance (or didn't make time) to switch to the "aggressive" setting. I'm hoping to do that next time out. I had a friend with me in his Cayman, and he was pressed for time to get back to Atlanta by a certain time. I'll hopefully go up there by myself soon so I can change back and forth between "sport" and "aggressive" to see if the shifts come quicker. I think they will, given the explanation by COBB. But I'm not sure I'll want the higher shift RPM's for Auto mode around town.

Basically, I think "sport" mode is perfect for Auto mode when I'm cruising around town, want my great exhaust note, and don't want to shift manually. The RPM shift schedule is perfect and the auto blipping on down shifts & the rpms at which it happens is perfect also. It's just that if the "aggressive" mode ups those shift points even more, I might have to switch to NON-sport mode to keep the shift points down, and that will kill my good exhaust sounds (since it gets louder & better sounding in Sport & Sport Plus modes).

Sorry I don't have much new to report but I did get more time with it. DON'T FORGET, I'm learning the OTS tune as well which is different than how it drove on stock power / tune. So that may be clouding my perception of things on the PDK side also. Maybe I should have waited on the pdk tune until I fully had a grasp on how my car drove with the OTS tune first. Oh well.

I'll report back when I have tested the "Aggressive" mode!

Last edited by Big Swole; 12-07-2018 at 06:35 PM.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:47 PM
WAIT!!!

I was reviewing COBB's descriptions again... Not sure where I got the higher shifts points from on the "Aggressive" vs "Sport" modes. Now reading it again, I don't think "Aggressive" adds any more RPM's to the shift points. If Not then I'm Definitely trying it soon!!!

If all it adds is quicker up / down shifts, on top of everything "sport" adds, it'll be fine for around town in sport / sport plus modes. I'm used to harder shifts from my modded diesel truck days... The shifts from my 1000+WHP / 1700+WTQ 10 sec. diesel truck was like having a Peterbuilt hit you in the A$$ end every time it shifted...lol I'm guessing this will seem lighter than that..lol

Old 12-08-2018, 02:53 AM
djillusion has a spectacular aura aboutdjillusion has a spectacular aura about
Try the aggressive and keep us posted!

Old 12-09-2018, 11:21 AM
3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !
There is high torque agressive tune too

You can get it from the COBB website

Old 12-09-2018, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by 3llooi
There is high torque agressive tune too

You can get it from the COBB website
Yes Sir. Thank you. I'm clear on that, but with me only having a Europipe Exhaust and not going past that for mods, there's no need to get it from what I hear. It's only recommended for car with 50% over stock hp/tq. A custom safe tune will be all this car see for mods. I just want to see if the quicker up/down shift from the "aggressive" mode makes it more like the 991 shifts.

Old 12-10-2018, 09:05 AM
Since I'm having to wait to drive it and try the "aggressive" mode, I decided to send COBB an email. I don't think I got the answers I was asking, but it was something at least.

My email and their response:

Old 12-11-2018, 06:41 PM
Well, I've got some good news.

The "Aggressive" mode doesn't seem to raise the shift points any higher than the "Sport" mode.
The shift are a bit more "crisp" and see a bit "firmer" at times as well. Seems throttle dependent, but it's better.
I only drove it a while and didn't have much in the way of opportunity for more and a second or two of WOT to test shifts.

I think I'm actually going to leave it on "aggressive" mode. In Sport and Sport Plus it seems almost just like "Sport" mode but a bit firmer / quicker shifts, which is exactly what it says on COBB's website. In Auto mode and when driving normally, it seems to do just fine for my taste. In "Normal" mode, it seems to drive just fine as well. I like it.

I'll need more time with it in all driving situations but over all, I think you guys should try the "Aggressive" mode. Let me know if you do and how you like it.

David

Old 12-12-2018, 12:42 AM
thanks for sharing! well, that is good news to hear.

keep us posted on future thoughts post more seat time. i'll try it out in the spring!

Old 12-18-2018, 01:26 PM
I'm SOLD!!

It's staying on Aggressive for all forms of driving!!

Still not quite 991 PDK, but better for sure. Shift schedule is great!!

Old 12-19-2018, 11:18 AM

Wow!

Great to hear. Looking forward to trying it this spring!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.