997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

My 997.1 Build Story (ByDesign Stage 4 - stock engine) ***Picture Heavy***

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 06:44 AM
02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !
Post My 997.1 Build Story (Sambo By Design Stage 4 - stock engine) ***Picture Heavy***

Let me start out by saying that our Porsche community is one of the most helpful ones out there, specially coming from the different type of builds I’ve done in my past. About a year and half ago, I decided to sell my 996 X50 Turbo to a great friend of mine and picked up a local 997.1 turbo. It was tastefully modded and the body was in extremely great shape. As most of us, I started planning on the next mods.

Excited to start modding, I focused on using the COBB AP and COBB 1300 injectors (ID Injectors) I purchased from a former vendor. I had purchased these parts for my former 996 with thoughts of continuing that build, but 997 snatched up those plans. These parts were still in boxes since I never got around to install them. I shipped the AP to COBB for a firmware upgrade (diff for 996 and 997) and got it back within a few days. I can’t say enough good things about COBB support! I then reached out to my then pro-tuner but long story short, communication was abysmal. But in the end, we decided to amicably part ways.

Moving forward, I reached out to Sambo at By Design. That was the single best decision of my build. As most of us know, Sam is on another level of support. With all my previous builds, I have NEVER come across a tuner that is available literally 24/7. His flexibility, knowledge and focus on the end goal are just a few of his qualities that make him stand out. Not to mention, keeping most of his customers sane when our build makes us want to throw some fire at it! I swear he has clones of himself running all over the place, texting back and picking up the phone.

With the AP ready and Sam on speed dial, I then decided to install the AP and load the first map provided by Sam. Immediately after I sent the first logs to Sam, he tells me to double check my FPR (fuel pressure regulator). Sure enough, the vacuum line was disconnected. Just with that immediate feedback I had completely reinforce my decision about choosing Sam.

I then proceeded to install the injectors without removing the engine. HOLY HELL!!!! Some of you whom have done this know the pain this process entails. But it was a good first introduction to the car and tools I needed. I have to give thanks to two members here for guidance and assistance with parts. During the removal process and never have done this type of work on a Porsche, I got stuck in a few places so I reached out to Mark (prodigymb) for some guidance specially with the upper oil tank line. The trick here is to cut the open end of a 32 mm wrench at the right place in order to fit it snug and brake the line loose (pic below). Thanks again Mark! I then got to the injectors and the connecters where not working, digging through the forums I saw that Dan (RIX) had also done his own injector install. We emailed back and forth and little did I know, Dan has friends in high places (Injector Dynamics). Before I could blink, I am receiving the correct connectors for the 1300s. The connectors that were shipped originally with the injectors where for a GT-R. Thanks again Dan!

This is what I mean by a great community!!

While I was in there installing the injectors, I went ahead and installed the do88 inlet pipes. The passenger side needed a bit of trimming on the compressor end, but other than that, it was pretty straight forward install. I used “TheRock’s” DIY Guide for the install, thanks for all your DIYs man. Here is the link in case anyone needs it.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...diy-guide.html

Next focus was on the exhaust. The car came with a really nice Cargraphics exhaust, but it was catted. After talking with Sam about my options, we went with a 70mm Kline, muffled and catless exhaust. Car sounds damn good, so glad I went this route and happy that the Cargraphics exhaust went to another 6speed member.

Continuing on with the mod list, it was time for intercoolers. Lots of great options as we all know, but in the end, the decision was made to go with the AMS 997 kit. I liked the idea of the carbon shrouds and included y-pipe. Install was average, I had to bend two tabs back and trim the lower shroud a bit. Later on I did run into the lower intercooler hose issue coming off the compressor side, which had to do with the plastic spacer ring breaking apart. This goes over the compressor outlet. Eventually AMS sent me a redesign of the lower intercooler hose and it has been solid since.

Sam did his magic again and sent me an updated map for the newly added parts. We did the usual, couple of runs, logs back and forth and the car was just not feeling great. Sam tells me to do a pressure leak test again, I had already done one after the intercooler install, but this time he said to go up to 25 psi. Sure enough, I found leaks after the throttle body. The four clamps to the plenum were loose, the check valve from the plenum to the oil cooler was bad and the vacuum line to the top feed of the change over valve was cracked. Sam helped me source a new check valve for the Werks1 plenum and I started ordering parts. Got all new clamps, vacuum lines, rubber couplers, change over valve, and the check valve from Sam. Did another pressure leak test and system held solid to 27 psi. Tuning started again and all looked well. We then moved over to E85 and holy crap did the car feel fast. Now the car had all bolt-ons except for upgraded turbos.

I was having so much fun running around on E85, I actually ran out of it during my spirited runs Picture of my super uber crazy E85 tester also

Car felt great but as always, its never enough. Again had lots of discussions with Sam and with the end goal focus of 700whp, he suggested we try out his upgraded 68mm VTG turbos along with a set of Kline headers. My main focus of the build was for the car to be enjoyable, without overdoing it, so keeping the VTG configuration was the logical move. With my previous builds, I’ve over done them to the point where the car looses their original character and were just not enjoyable to drive anymore. Primary example is upgrading a clutch to the point where its just not enjoyable to drive because of the chatter, stiff clutch pedal or engagement point.

Shortly after I discovered some fluid in the back of my Kline exhaust. I started troubleshooting the leak and sourced it to the power steering return line, connected to the power steering reservoir. When I bought the car, it came with the GT2 slave (using the bracket), master cylinder, GT3 spring and front plastic reservoir conversion already installed. So somewhere during the install, the line was damaged and it was slowly leaking and eventually got worse over time. If you have damaged this line before, you know that the only way to replace this line is by removing the engine completely. I also noticed that the protective ring rubber seal of the passenger side water pump housing, was starting to go bad because of the Pentosin starting to eat it up. Glad I found this now and not on the road. This is where Sam kept me sane, because it seemed to be little issues one after another and then this.

Knowing that the engine needed to come down, I started looking for a lift because I did not want to remove the engine and transmission using jack stands. I ended up with a Dannmar MX-6 lift (MaxJax). Install wasn’t too bad, but it wasn’t easy either. Ended up renting an impact drill and some masonry bits from home depot which made the install go smoother.

Fast forward, I receive some shiny new toys, the 68 mm twins and the Kline headers from Sam. I started ordering all the parts for the R & R project like, turbo orings, exhaust gaskets, exhaust hardware, protective ring seals, joining sockets, power steering return line and the list goes on. Being proactive, I also ordered all new o2 sensors, MAF sensors, fresh set of spark plugs, 2.5 Sachs clutch kit from Sam, new forge diverter valves, stock flywheel (didn’t like the chatter of the lightweight flywheel) and rear main seal (why not since clutch and flywheel were being replaced). I started the job and the whole ordeal took about a week, doing 2-3 hours each night. Removing the engine and transmission was actually smoother then I expected. It was harder removing the engine from my brother’s E46 M3. I did have to create my own tool to install the rear main seal, which wasn’t too bad.

With the car all buttoned up, pressure tested and running again, Sam was back doing his thing. This is where things started to pay off and the smiles began to happen. The car felt stronger on 93 octane with the 68s, than with stock VTGs on E85. Dialing it in slowly and looking at the logs, we were both getting excited seeing how much air these twins were moving (540 g/s). I also shared data with M3Maestro and he was also seeing good things in the logs. If you guys don’t know M3Maestro, he is a wealth of knowledge when it comes to turbo engineering. Thanks for your input M3Maestro!

I then scheduled a dyno session with a local shop that has a mustang dyno, while at the same time plugging data into virtual dyno application. I also ordered a VBOX Sport to start practicing my 60-130 numbers. First 60-130 try was 7.023 and my second attempt it was 6.873. I am still trying to get the hang of it, the car still has more in it. Dyno day came and I was hoping for decent weather, but it didn’t happen. Humidity was in the 90s and the temps were in the 90s and the car just wasn’t liking it. First pull was 562 wtrq and 571 whp, more than I expected on 93 pump and terrible weather. We also did 2 pulls with dynojet numbers, which were pulls 2 and 3. Pull #2, we got 638 wtrq and 637 whp. Pull #3, we let the car cool down and we got 660 wtrq and 671 whp. I compared it to the virtual dyno numbers I had from previous days and it was pretty close to the real dyno, 659 whp. After seeing those numbers my jaw dropped and I texted Sam immediately and told him, is there a need for us to do an E85 map, LOL! But the plan is still to do an E85 map and go back to the dyno. I will definitely go back in the fall when the weather is more cooperative and see what she puts down on 93 octane.

So that is where we are now with my By Design Stage 4 on 68mm VTGs and next is E85. Car is pulling really strong as is with 93 octane. Drivability is great and I am finally enjoying every minute when I get time to drive it. I’ll attempt some more 60-130 and 1/4 runs when the weather gets cooler. There are still some HPDE events coming up in the fall which I will try to sign up for, but it all depends if I have time. But again two thumbs up for Sambo in keeping me sane and talking me off the ledge numerous times, couldn’t have done it without you bud!

Last edited by 02black330ci; 08-24-2017 at 09:53 AM.
Old 08-24-2017, 04:57 PM
02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !
***Reserved for future updates***

Old 08-24-2017, 04:59 PM
Pendl303 has a spectacular aura aboutPendl303 has a spectacular aura about
Car looks great and now after some good modifications. It seems to be moving out nicely on just 93... congrats

Old 08-24-2017, 05:15 PM
Dguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of light
Congrats and great looking build. Your much more hands on in dealing with your engine than ever I would feel competent with. Great results on 93 and E85.

Old 08-24-2017, 05:18 PM
A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !
Congrats! Car looks great and you've come a long way. Keep on with the 60-130 times if that is your thing. You have enough power to be in the 5s now for sure. Sam is an invaluable resource to the community, glad he was able to help so much as well.

Old 08-24-2017, 08:22 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Wow this was like a trip down memory lane. I actually remember all of those beers! You've been down the long road my friend and the reason you were able to overcome at all was because of your own experience, drive, persistence and attention to detail. You did a really great job as well as paid attention to what is important and how quality matters. I really think that's why we were able to achieve those numbers together! Thank you so much for the kind words. I made another new friend on this one! Crazy when you look back…You truly were rewarded for it all in the end! Next step would be to go on ethanol and just try not to hurt anything ha ha. Then we hit the crack pipe and go for it with a motor build maybe! I think this is the strongest car I've done so far on pump super safe and dialed-in...and that's after a lot of projects!

Last edited by SamboTT@ByDesign; 08-24-2017 at 08:25 PM.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:02 PM
Boosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond repute
Wow, the car looks amazing, love everything about it...

The support you are getting does not surprise me, Sam is exceptional and will go out of his way to please each and every one of us...****, I had only bought a Racelogic from him and called him like, 5 months after and we talked for 1hr of a new build that I was thinking off. Great guy to work with and an example of what customer service should be.

Enjoy your beast and can't wait to see the numbers on E85.

Manuel

Old 08-25-2017, 08:09 AM
Webspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond reputeWebspoke has a reputation beyond repute
Great results for pump 93, its making me itch for a vtg upgrade!

Old 08-25-2017, 08:20 AM
HardHitter is a name known to allHardHitter is a name known to allHardHitter is a name known to allHardHitter is a name known to allHardHitter is a name known to allHardHitter is a name known to all
And this is why I want a larger garage. Absolutely great work on the build and I'm sure you're excited to be able to enjoy the car. Great work!

Old 08-25-2017, 07:41 PM
M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !
Glad I could help! Your project has been awesome to watch and be a part of. I should make some plots comparing the 63.5mm vs. the 68mm but I'm worried its just gonna make me spend more money LOL! Looking forward to E85 data, my car feels awesome on E85 and the 63.5mm, the 68s will do great.

Old 08-26-2017, 05:49 AM
austx911 will become famous soon enoughaustx911 will become famous soon enough
Very nice. Congrats!

Old 08-26-2017, 07:11 AM
Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !
Very nice! Thanks for sharing - quite a monster in the making!

Old 08-26-2017, 08:03 AM
Irishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud of
Great build journal. I am going down the exact path as you but will be working with PTF. Also going to be adding meth. Thanks for doing this.

Old 08-26-2017, 11:02 AM
twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !
Nice build & much respect for the guys that can diy this stuff,i can't even switch out my rear taillights without dropping a screw down in the engine somewhere

Old 08-26-2017, 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by Pendl303
Car looks great and now after some good modifications. It seems to be moving out nicely on just 93... congrats
Originally Posted by Dguth
Congrats and great looking build. Your much more hands on in dealing with your engine than ever I would feel competent with. Great results on 93 and E85.
Originally Posted by austx911
Very nice. Congrats!
Originally Posted by Kricci
Very nice! Thanks for sharing - quite a monster in the making!
Thanks guys, I was surprised on how strong it feels on 93 octane. Believe it or not, wrenching on my cars is a stress reliever for me.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.