997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Becker Exhaust for 997.2 TT S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 05:18 AM
Turbo Racer is on a distinguished road
Great post so far. Very god background information here. Looking forward to hearing about it installed and your review of the sound and performance.

Old 03-06-2018, 07:20 AM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
I wonder if they shipped you the 997.1 version by mistake. The 997.2 is a slightly different size. Have you modded this to fit your?

Old 03-08-2018, 10:22 AM
Smind has much to be proud ofSmind has much to be proud ofSmind has much to be proud ofSmind has much to be proud ofSmind has much to be proud ofSmind has much to be proud ofSmind has much to be proud ofSmind has much to be proud ofSmind has much to be proud ofSmind has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by faiz
Any idea what’s stuffed inside the cans?
I assume it's some kind of rockwool.

Originally Posted by Etchhead
I wonder if they shipped you the 997.1 version by mistake. The 997.2 is a slightly different size. Have you modded this to fit your?
I believe they shipped me a 997.1, but they seem to think they shipped me a 996 version. They really don't know what they have.

I'm not going to modify it. I sent it back for a refund and decided to make my own. I ordered some bends with custom leg lengths, which should be ready in a week or so. I suspect if I make it slip-fit, I can make a unit that fits both 997.1 and 997.2, though I no longer have a .1 to test-fit.

Monday I sent the turbo flange drawing out for bids to both a machine shop and a water jet shop. If the water jet shop can produce it using a flat-enough plate, I won't need to fly cut the turbo side mating surface, resulting in a lower cost.

My machine is always ready to go.

Old 03-08-2018, 12:19 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
And there you have it unfortunately. Muffler design and material have a lot to do with things. Not just cramming in what fits back there (which is quite limited with space) Who knows what it would have sounded like and level of drone. Those that have lasted in the Porsche exhaust game have for a reason I think. There is more to it especially in the Porsche market where clients are more discriminating and volumes are quite a bit lower. An over-seas manufacturer can bang a bunch of misc stuff out cheap and know nothing about the car or the market. Yes there are some that are too expensive for sure. But that goes for everything. Good luck OP.

Last edited by SamboTT@ByDesign; 03-08-2018 at 12:21 PM.
Old 03-08-2018, 12:44 PM
Smind has much to be proud ofSmind has much to be proud ofSmind has much to be proud ofSmind has much to be proud ofSmind has much to be proud ofSmind has much to be proud ofSmind has much to be proud ofSmind has much to be proud ofSmind has much to be proud ofSmind has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
And there you have it unfortunately. Muffler design and material have a lot to do with things. Not just cramming in what fits back there (which is quite limited with space) Who knows what it would have sounded like and level of drone. Those that have lasted in the Porsche exhaust game have for a reason I think. There is more to it especially in the Porsche market where clients are more discriminating and volumes are quite a bit lower. An over-seas manufacturer can bang a bunch of misc stuff out cheap and know nothing about the car or the market. Yes there are some that are too expensive for sure. But that goes for everything. Good luck OP.
I respectfully disagree: There isn't much to exhaust design at all. Sound, including drone, is a waveform. Tuning sound is mathematics, not some dark art that only a few in the Porsche game know. It all comes down to which frequencies one wants to permit and which one wants to cancel.

With respect to the notion that some are too expensive, they're all too expensive. There isn't a reasonably-priced exhaust on the market. The Porsche aftermarket is built around the idea that most customers don't know better when it comes to manufacturing. There's no difference in engineering or manufacturing a Mustang exhaust or a GT2 RS exhaust, no matter what manufacturers would have consumers think. No one goes to engineering school with a concentration in Porsche. The same knowledge applies to everything, and there's no difference in price for a 20' stick of 3" with 0.065" wall 304 whether it's used for a Porsche or a Hyundai. The differences lie solely in the depth of customers' pockets and marketing.

Old 03-08-2018, 03:56 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
I respect your opinion. I can tell you this forum is full of threads about exhaust from drilling the pipes, to home grown, to what is considered the best, to the most expensive. It's all subjective but after over 20 years in Porsche I will tell you they ALL sound different, ALL have pro's/con's and all produce different results. I disagree that it's all the same. on a Porsche you have much less space to tune an exhaust. You can get rid of drone but what if it's too loud? I can go on for days but I won't. I will just say that some points here are obvious and some are just not that simple. There have also been several gents who did their own thing and it's a drop in the bucket over-all. Some appreciate certain things and others don't. I am not speaking of the over-priced part. I offer almost everything and most in the industry are my friends whom I know pretty well so I don't agree that all are gouging. At the same time if someone wants to pay 7k for a "work of art" whether it functions as well or not that is up to them.

I truly wish you well and you obviously have some skill so many of us are rooting for you! As a dad who can't seam to find the time to fix the damn sink I envy you and am rooting for you even more! I am pretty confident from what you have shared that you will hand-make something that you will be proud of and enjoy. Just saying that once you are done we can see what the community thinks and how it fits in the spectrum and what it's pro's/con's are you know what I mean?

I will even say that I have lots of spare components if I can help you at all dad!

Cheers!

Old 03-21-2018, 09:11 AM
lliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud of
Does anyone know the width of the pipe centers from left to right on a 997.2?

I'd like to guestimate if that exhaust is for a 997.1 by knowing the width and then looking at the picture to see if looks like it would work.

I have tried unsuccessfully to get answers from a coupe of suppliers of Becker.

Thanks in advance,

Ed

Old 03-21-2018, 09:22 AM
Originally Posted by lliejk
Does anyone know the width of the pipe centers from left to right on a 997.2?
Its roughly 40.5" measuring center-to-center, cat-to-cat.

Old 03-21-2018, 10:54 AM
lliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud of
I have to get the car up a bit to be sure, but it looks like the 997.1 is 39 center to center. If anyone can confirm that, it would be great.

Looking at the picture, it looks possible that the exhaust is 1.5" short, but without scale it's tough to be sure.

Hopefully I get a response from one of the vendors I emailed.

Ed

Old 03-21-2018, 11:18 AM
Originally Posted by lliejk
I have to get the car up a bit to be sure, but it looks like the 997.1 is 39 center to center. If anyone can confirm that, it would be great.

Looking at the picture, it looks possible that the exhaust is 1.5" short, but without scale it's tough to be sure.

Hopefully I get a response from one of the vendors I emailed.

Ed
The vendors don't know anything. The manufacturer isn't even sure. That said, it's about 1.5" off:

Old 03-21-2018, 10:53 PM
Nate2046 is on a distinguished road
Does anybody have a current source for the Becker exhaust for a 997.1? Can’t find anything on the usual suspects.

Old 05-31-2018, 02:18 AM
Acmw will become famous soon enough
I have found another “budget” exhaust which states this is specifically for the 997.2 ... does anyone have this exhaust system ? https://m.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-997-2...68b4%7Ciid%3A1

Old 06-01-2018, 02:17 PM
jiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to alljiaim is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Smind
I respectfully disagree: There isn't much to exhaust design at all. Sound, including drone, is a waveform. Tuning sound is mathematics, not some dark art that only a few in the Porsche game know. It all comes down to which frequencies one wants to permit and which one wants to cancel.

With respect to the notion that some are too expensive, they're all too expensive. There isn't a reasonably-priced exhaust on the market. The Porsche aftermarket is built around the idea that most customers don't know better when it comes to manufacturing. There's no difference in engineering or manufacturing a Mustang exhaust or a GT2 RS exhaust, no matter what manufacturers would have consumers think. No one goes to engineering school with a concentration in Porsche. The same knowledge applies to everything, and there's no difference in price for a 20' stick of 3" with 0.065" wall 304 whether it's used for a Porsche or a Hyundai. The differences lie solely in the depth of customers' pockets and marketing.

thruth has been said !

Old 06-01-2018, 03:12 PM
08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Smind
I disagree 100% with your proposition

I recently received my Europipe exhaust for my 997

I will tell you that the design, quality of materials and construction quality place it at the highest level of aftermarket parts.

I am sure that a lot of time, energy and thought went into designing that unit. Given the limited quantities of Porsche turbos produced and the even more limited amounts that get modified it is clear that you are going to pay a higher premium for a lower production car than say a Mustang which is going to have thousands of units sold and be able to spread the R & D and Jig fabrication costs over much more units

I am sure that a lot of the 997 community would like to be able to but a full turbo back exhaust for $1500 with 200 cel cats but these cars are not Subarus

The cost comes in all the bends and fitting the system to work in a tightly confined space

At the end of the day if some company where to develop a made in Asia low cost unit as they have for so many of the larger pool turbo vehicles I still would prefer to spend the extra money and get something really designed and constructed like a Rolex watch to install on my car rather than just a cheap garbage set of tubes that is going to wind of cracking and having exhaust leaks over time

\been there done that

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.