997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

AMG Owners?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 02:49 PM
HardHitter is a name known to allHardHitter is a name known to allHardHitter is a name known to allHardHitter is a name known to allHardHitter is a name known to allHardHitter is a name known to all
AMG Owners?

So hopefully if you're reading this, you are or were a AMG owner and wanted to get opinion. I have owned many cars ranging from all spectrums. Highly modified RX7s, 6.0L GTOs, Dodge Viper, Audi S4, Miatas etc. I ended up selling my last "toy" which was a 1997 GTS Viper. It was my first V10 car and I loved all the torque it had, so when I was looking for my new toy, I knew it had to have a lot of torque. Enter my latest toy, a 2007 911 Turbo. It has a MSRP of $145K and is well optioned. Since then, I've added a Speedtech 3.0in exhaust and a Cobb stage 2 tune to it which I believe should put the car into/around 500awhp/550awtq range?

Lately I've been contemplating on selling both my cars (2012 Mazdaspeed3 as my daily, 2007 911 Turbo as my toy) and buying a single car. I don't find myself driving as much anymore, my commute is only 10 miles round trip and 90% of it is in traffic. Financially it makes no sense to pay the insurance and maintenance for both cars. I've always been interested/impressed with the torque numbers of the E55 and could find one for $15-$20K but if I'm selling both cars, I'd probably want to step into a E63 biturbo. From really quick research, they look to be able to put down what my Turbo is currently putting down. Add an exhaust and tune and I've seen dynos into the 600 and torque close to 700. The downfall? How heavy they are on paper and I'm sure I would notice it if I were to test drive one.

Just wanted to see your thoughts on why Porsche over MB AMG or vice versa.

Axel-Differential Lock Rear
Heated Front Seats
Ceramic Composite Brakes - PCCB
Parking Assist System
Sport Chrono Package
Module for Telephone PCM
Remote CD Changer (6 Disc)
Black
Black Full Leather
Storage Compartment Lid with Model Logo
Gear Lever/Handbrake Aluminum/Leather
Black Mats - Porsche Lettering
Adaptive Sport Seats
Standard Rocker Panels Painted
Sport Shifter
Rear Center Console Leather
Thicker Steering Wheel Leather
Porsche Crest in Headrest

Old 10-11-2017, 03:50 PM
Mptolomey is an unknown quantity at this point
I currently have a SL63 (in addition to a R8, 360 and the 2009 977.1TT). If I could only have one, I believe it would be the SL63... Fast, comfortable, cool...

Don't get me wrong, I like all of them as each have very different personalities. But the AMG is a little bit of everything. I think the R8 and the 997.1 would be a very close second with the edge to the SL as it's a hard top convertible where's the others are all cloth.

Just my opinion...

Old 10-11-2017, 04:04 PM
997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !
for me, a sports car must have a manual transmission. If that doesn't matter to you, options are much broader

Old 10-11-2017, 04:23 PM
HardHitter is a name known to allHardHitter is a name known to allHardHitter is a name known to allHardHitter is a name known to allHardHitter is a name known to allHardHitter is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Roffle Waffle
for me, a sports car must have a manual transmission. If that doesn't matter to you, options are much broader
I agree with you there, but even Porsche is doing away with their manuals in their Turbos (I believe). Any "supercar" you look at today, isn't a manual. Sad day, but we are in a world where paddles will replace shifters.

Old 10-11-2017, 04:47 PM
akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !
Not really an apples to apples comparison..at its core, you are comparing a two door sports car vs. four door sedan! If your goal is to downsize to one car, then utility becomes the operative word and the four door sedan is more functional than a two door sports car as an everyday, do 'most anything' DD. THE E63's torque and grunt is intoxicating at first but you'll soon tire of it...not that you'll get to experience it much in your 10 mile round trip commute in traffic!

Had an E55 and loved it for what it was, a brute heavy four door sedan with tons of torque. For your application, why bother with a torque monster, why not look at a Maserati Ghibli S? It's exhaust note alone should be fun in the mornings...

Old 10-11-2017, 07:22 PM
Gotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to behold
I had C63AMG and CL63AMG both are very different cars being a sedan and coupe. I love the CL63AMG because of comfort and luxury and very unique exterior. Mercedes always have comfort and safety in mind, they are GT cruiser with brute force but a bit heavy and less nimble and visceral than my 911. If you looking for one car to do it all and still have sporty feels, CL63AMG is an amazing machine.

Old 10-11-2017, 08:35 PM
Originally Posted by akunob
Not really an apples to apples comparison..at its core, you are comparing a two door sports car vs. four door sedan! If your goal is to downsize to one car, then utility becomes the operative word and the four door sedan is more functional than a two door sports car as an everyday, do 'most anything' DD. THE E63's torque and grunt is intoxicating at first but you'll soon tire of it...not that you'll get to experience it much in your 10 mile round trip commute in traffic!

Had an E55 and loved it for what it was, a brute heavy four door sedan with tons of torque. For your application, why bother with a torque monster, why not look at a Maserati Ghibli S? It's exhaust note alone should be fun in the mornings...
As I noted in my earlier post, I am a sucker for torque. I'd say 80% of the time, I drive "comfortably" and then there are those times you just want to smash the acceleration. I rarely find myself going through the canyons here, which is where the Porsche excels.

Old 10-12-2017, 01:13 PM
997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by HardHitter
I agree with you there, but even Porsche is doing away with their manuals in their Turbos (I believe). Any "supercar" you look at today, isn't a manual. Sad day, but we are in a world where paddles will replace shifters.
Thankfully the Gt3 and GTS comes with manual. GTS isn't a supercar, but still awesome

Old 10-12-2017, 05:06 PM
Just drove the car to work today. Every time I think I want to sell the car and then drive it, I change my mind haha.

Old 10-13-2017, 09:46 AM
4ocious is just really nice4ocious is just really nice4ocious is just really nice4ocious is just really nice
I've owned six AMG's in the past that included 2 SL55's, E55, CLK55, 2007 CLK63 convertible and a 2008 CLK63 Black Series. They were all GREAT cars, but there is no doubt (in my mind) that the 2008 CLK63AMG Black Series is the BEST AMG Mercedes has ever produced! I would certainly consider it if you can find a reasonably priced one. Not only are they exciting to drive but they are also a future collectible due to their limited number (approx. 350) and one year of production. Think about it and do some research - JMO.

Last edited by 4ocious; 10-15-2017 at 03:06 PM.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:55 PM
arjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond repute
I think I know where Hardhitter is leading to: relax driving but when needed the power is there. Best bang for the buck is the elegant CL 65 with a nice tune and proven bolt-ons can make up to 800 lbs of torque and 700+ to the crank. You may be able to pick up one in the $20k range. I had in the past an 05 e55, 06 SL 55, and an 05 CL 65 and the CL was the best reminded me of the almighty Buick Grand National, lol

Last edited by arjayr33; 10-19-2017 at 09:01 PM. Reason: typos
Old 10-19-2017, 09:09 PM
Originally Posted by arjayr33
I think I know where Hardhitter is leading to: relax driving but when needed the power is there. Best bang for the buck is the elegant CL 65 with a nice tune and proven bolt-ons can make up to 800 lbs of torque and 700+ to the crank. You may be able to pick up one in the $20k range. I had in the past an 05 e55, 06 SL 55, and an 05 CL 65 and the CL was the best reminded me of the almighty Buick Grand National, lol
Exactly, but if I'm going to stick with a 2 door, I'd keep the Turbo. I'm wanting a powerful sedan to daily drive, give me luxury, but have the power waiting to tear the road up.

Old 10-21-2017, 07:11 AM
4ocious is just really nice4ocious is just really nice4ocious is just really nice4ocious is just really nice
I also agree, the CL63 has the cleanest lines combined with AMG power and luxury. If I wanted another two door this car would be in my top two or three list.

Last edited by 4ocious; 10-21-2017 at 07:20 AM.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:17 PM
02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !
I loved my E55, great daily, but I was fortunate to keep my 996tt at the same time. Now I have the 997tt and a RS7. The RS7 is a whole different animal. A car this heavy should not be this fast and be a terrific daily at the same time, lol. I never even considered the RS7 until a friend on mine told me to check them out and it was not turning back afterwards.

Old 10-27-2017, 09:26 AM
Originally Posted by 02black330ci
I loved my E55, great daily, but I was fortunate to keep my 996tt at the same time. Now I have the 997tt and a RS7. The RS7 is a whole different animal. A car this heavy should not be this fast and be a terrific daily at the same time, lol. I never even considered the RS7 until a friend on mine told me to check them out and it was not turning back afterwards.
To be able to own a 997 Turbo and a RS7 is car goals haha. But I can't contemplate having around $150K worth tied up in cars when we are looking to buy another house. I could sell the Turbo and Mazdaspeed to pickup a RS7 similar car, but again, don't know if that is worth it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.