997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Turbo S VS Turbo - Major options questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 01:36 PM
thegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond repute
Turbo S VS Turbo - Major options questions

Hi guys, If the most wanted options on a 997.2 is sports chrono/Launch control is a Turbo a better option than a turbo s?

The reason I am thinking this is because I prefer the red calipers and I am fine with the steel brakes. I also do not care for the center lock wheels and prefer the 5-lugs. Therefore I am guessing a turbo may be a better choice than a turbo s.

Are those the only 2 major differences between a Turbo and Turbo S?? if I am able to locate a turbo with sports chrono? I plan to mod the car anyway - basically full bolt ons. Is there anything else that I should look our for purchasing a 2011-2012 Turbo. I am talking strictly from a performance standpoint. I believe the sports chrono comes with the dynamic engine mounts.

Thanks and I did so some research on my own but can't seem to find a definitive answer. I guess options change year to year from standard to extra.

Old 12-12-2017, 02:34 PM
Nein97GT2 is a splendid one to beholdNein97GT2 is a splendid one to beholdNein97GT2 is a splendid one to beholdNein97GT2 is a splendid one to beholdNein97GT2 is a splendid one to beholdNein97GT2 is a splendid one to beholdNein97GT2 is a splendid one to behold
If you don't want the ceramic brakes anyway and center locks turbo is a clear choice for the extra savings and better selection of cars you'll find

Old 12-12-2017, 04:13 PM
thegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Nein97GT2
If you don't want the ceramic brakes anyway and center locks turbo is a clear choice for the extra savings and better selection of cars you'll find
i agree however is there any performance options that come on the turbo s besides sports chrono package that i should definitley look for on the turbo? I want launch contol and plan to do full bolt on mods.

thanks

Old 12-12-2017, 04:37 PM
Nein97GT2 is a splendid one to beholdNein97GT2 is a splendid one to beholdNein97GT2 is a splendid one to beholdNein97GT2 is a splendid one to beholdNein97GT2 is a splendid one to beholdNein97GT2 is a splendid one to beholdNein97GT2 is a splendid one to behold
With what you will save over the turbo S you can do all the bolt ons along with turbo upgrades. The only benefits are the parts you don’t want anyway and resale value which the Turbo S usually holds a little better since there are less of them.

Old 12-12-2017, 04:39 PM
Originally Posted by Nein97GT2
With what you will save over the turbo S you can do all the bolt ons along with turbo upgrades. The only benefits are the parts you don’t want anyway and resale value which the Turbo S usually holds a little better since there are less of them.
thanks nein, okay so I will just make sure it has Sports Chrono package and the little options I want like color preference and nav.

Old 12-12-2017, 04:48 PM
erikchich has a brilliant futureerikchich has a brilliant futureerikchich has a brilliant futureerikchich has a brilliant futureerikchich has a brilliant futureerikchich has a brilliant futureerikchich has a brilliant futureerikchich has a brilliant futureerikchich has a brilliant futureerikchich has a brilliant futureerikchich has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by thegame
i agree however is there any performance options that come on the turbo s besides sports chrono package that i should definitley look for on the turbo? I want launch contol and plan to do full bolt on mods.

thanks
Once the car is modified & tuned it will make no difference performance wise turbo vs. turbo S. Both cars with identical modifications & tunes will perform exactly the same. Just look for a car with sport chrono option so you have launch control.

If you want to chat with someone who's tried multiple tunes and modification combinations on a 997.2 TTS feel free to PM me. I currently have a full bolt on setup that runs 9 second 1/4 miles

Old 12-12-2017, 04:49 PM
akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !
Almost every performance advantage of the S over the base turbo can be achieved with a solid ECU tune. The only option that I think you can't replicate is the constant boost. The S has a constant 516 lb-ft while the base turbo has 480 lb-ft with Sport Chrono you get up to 516 lb-ft for 10secs max with overboost. ECU Tuning provides more torque but I'm not sure if the 10 secs overboost function remains, (i.e. You get peak torque for 10secs only). It's worth checking.

Last edited by akunob; 12-12-2017 at 05:52 PM.
Old 12-12-2017, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by akunob
Almost every performance advantage of the S over the base turbo can be achieved with a solid ECU tune. The only option that I think you can't replicate it the constant boost. The S has a constant 516 lb-ft while the base turbo has 480 lb-ft with Sport Chrono you get up to 516 lb-ft for 10secs max. ECU Tuning provides more torque but I'm not sure if the 10 secs overboost function remains, (i.e. You get peak torque for 10secs only). It's worth checking.
pretty sure most of the tuner I talked to said that goes away and once it's tune that doesn't matter but I'm sure more knowledgeable people can jump in and let us know for sure.

Old 12-12-2017, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by erikchich
Once the car is modified & tuned it will make no difference performance wise turbo vs. turbo S. Both cars with identical modifications & tunes will perform exactly the same. Just look for a car with sport chrono option so you have launch control.

If you want to chat with someone who's tried multiple tunes and modification combinations on a 997.2 TTS feel free to PM me. I currently have a full bolt on setup that runs 9 second 1/4 miles
thanks for the info! Ill PM you tomorrow!

Old 12-12-2017, 05:39 PM
mikerosi is a jewel in the roughmikerosi is a jewel in the roughmikerosi is a jewel in the rough
thanks for the info! Ill PM you tomorrow!
Hey you definitely want the limited slip and the 18 way adjustable sport seats which is standard on a turbo s but an option on the turbo

Old 12-12-2017, 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by mikerosi
Hey you definitely want the limited slip and the 18 way adjustable sport seats which is standard on a turbo s but an option on the turbo
does limited-slip come on All Sport Chrono cars? If not how can you tell the car has it because from what I've seen so far CarGurus and AutoTrader a lot of times the options are not listed correctly.

Old 12-12-2017, 07:55 PM
mikerosi is a jewel in the roughmikerosi is a jewel in the roughmikerosi is a jewel in the rough
does limited-slip come on All Sport Chrono cars? If not how can you tell the car has it because from what I've seen so far CarGurus and AutoTrader a lot of times the options are not listed correctly.
You have to input the Vin number and they will give you the build sheet on the car sports Chrono does not include the limited slip
And if you gonna do power upgrades I don’t see what the hateful attitude towards Pccb’s they are a great stopping tool that’s also stock on the GT three and Rs. and GT two
I know you like red calipers but you can spray the yellow calipers red

Old 12-12-2017, 08:12 PM
Originally Posted by mikerosi
You have to input the Vin number and they will give you the build sheet on the car sports Chrono does not include the limited slip
And if you gonna do power upgrades I don’t see what the hateful attitude towards Pccb’s they are a great stopping tool that’s also stock on the GT three and Rs. and GT two
I know you like red calipers but you can spray the yellow calipers red
I don't have any hate towards them. It just helped a little bit budget-wise and since I prefer the red calipers I figured just seems like a smarter way to go. Plus I noticed most cars that have the ceramic brakes also have the center-lock wheels which I don't like either. All those things made me look at turbos instead of Turbo S's.

doing some reading on the Forum I saw that some people were mentioning the stock LSD some of them broke rather easily. I do like the idea of the LSD so maybe the shop that does the bolt ons can install an aftermarket one that people seem to think is a quality option. Guess I still have some homework to do. Thanks for all your feedback.

Old 12-12-2017, 08:54 PM
I don't have any hate towards them. It just helped a little bit budget-wise and since I prefer the red calipers I figured just seems like a smarter way to go. Plus I noticed most cars that have the ceramic brakes also have the center-lock wheels which I don't like either. All those things made me look at turbos instead of Turbo S's.

doing some reading on the Forum I saw that some people were mentioning the stock LSD some of them broke rather easily. I do like the idea of the LSD so maybe the shop that does the bolt ons can install an aftermarket one that people seem to think is a quality option. Guess I still have some homework to do. Thanks for all your feedback.
No I get where you’re coming from good luck on your search. Both choices will be fantastic cars take care Mike

Old 12-13-2017, 05:20 AM
DoDaLeCa has much to be proud ofDoDaLeCa has much to be proud ofDoDaLeCa has much to be proud ofDoDaLeCa has much to be proud ofDoDaLeCa has much to be proud ofDoDaLeCa has much to be proud ofDoDaLeCa has much to be proud ofDoDaLeCa has much to be proud ofDoDaLeCa has much to be proud of
Look for option 220 Porsche Torque Vectoring which is how the limited slip might be described on the build sheet if you want one with a LSD on a 997.2 Turbo.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Turbo S VS Turbo - Major options questions