Cobb 997.2 PDK Tuning is Up and Running Ya'll! - Page 2 - 6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

Go Back  6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource > Porsche (Present) > 997 Turbo / GT2
Reload this Page >

Cobb 997.2 PDK Tuning is Up and Running Ya'll!

Notices
997 Turbo / GT2 2006Ė2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.

Cobb 997.2 PDK Tuning is Up and Running Ya'll!

Old 12-28-2017, 09:36 AM
ecpChris has a reputation beyond reputeecpChris has a reputation beyond reputeecpChris has a reputation beyond reputeecpChris has a reputation beyond reputeecpChris has a reputation beyond reputeecpChris has a reputation beyond reputeecpChris has a reputation beyond reputeecpChris has a reputation beyond reputeecpChris has a reputation beyond reputeecpChris has a reputation beyond reputeecpChris has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Whosdady View Post
If you have the Cobb pdk tuning, please post your review. Iíd like to know if the $700 is worth it? There is a lot of excitement but I havenít seen any detailed reviews...
Well worth it IMO and a bargain compared to Audi DSG tuning

Old 12-28-2017, 06:27 PM
Whosdady is a jewel in the roughWhosdady is a jewel in the roughWhosdady is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by ecpChris View Post
PDK isn't a slushbox but I can see how my reference was taken out of context. The 997.2 PDK tuning made such a difference it transformed the shifting to be a noticeable improvement over stock. Shifts are quicker and more firm/engaging. I'm not sure how else to review the tuning other than it is a noticeable difference in shift speed and engagement. Something else I appreciate is the slip from a stop is eliminated so that as soon as you accelerate it grabs, whereas stock would be lazy to engage unless punching it in sport +
PDK tuning also enables the stock clutches to hold more power when set to that map, but that is not a benefit for everyone.
Thank you. This is the kind of stuff I have been looking for...

Old 01-05-2018, 04:29 PM
ctony66 has a reputation beyond reputectony66 has a reputation beyond reputectony66 has a reputation beyond reputectony66 has a reputation beyond reputectony66 has a reputation beyond reputectony66 has a reputation beyond reputectony66 has a reputation beyond reputectony66 has a reputation beyond reputectony66 has a reputation beyond reputectony66 has a reputation beyond reputectony66 has a reputation beyond repute
Gotta say Sam is still the real deal. Contacted him yesterday and within minutes received another great deal. Still the best source there is.
Thanks again Sam

Old 01-05-2018, 05:09 PM
Basic Sponsor
SamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond repute
Cheers my friend!

Proud TOP Porsche Distributor For:

Kline-Innovation - ams Performance - TiALSPORT/XONA - #1 COBB PRO TUNER - SRM - IPD Plenums - SACHS - dodsonmotorsport

Dedicated Customer Service Since 1998. - 310.600.1850 [email protected]
Old 01-05-2018, 07:22 PM
Whosdady is a jewel in the roughWhosdady is a jewel in the roughWhosdady is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by ctony66 View Post
Gotta say Sam is still the real deal. Contacted him yesterday and within minutes received another great deal. Still the best source there is.
Thanks again Sam
Iím assuming the deal was on pdk tuning? So what are your initial thoughts?

Old 01-05-2018, 08:42 PM
Basic Sponsor
SamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond repute
He just sold his 997 and got into a new car and I took care of him for being a great customer of ours. I am completely open to offer you the PDK Tuning to try out for yourself with a full guarantee!

Proud TOP Porsche Distributor For:

Kline-Innovation - ams Performance - TiALSPORT/XONA - #1 COBB PRO TUNER - SRM - IPD Plenums - SACHS - dodsonmotorsport

Dedicated Customer Service Since 1998. - 310.600.1850 [email protected]
Old 05-23-2018, 07:01 PM
Big Swole has much to be proud ofBig Swole has much to be proud ofBig Swole has much to be proud ofBig Swole has much to be proud ofBig Swole has much to be proud ofBig Swole has much to be proud ofBig Swole has much to be proud ofBig Swole has much to be proud ofBig Swole has much to be proud ofBig Swole has much to be proud of
Any more new review folks? Anything in the "CON" side of the list after this tuning?

Old 08-10-2018, 08:21 AM
Big Swole has much to be proud ofBig Swole has much to be proud ofBig Swole has much to be proud ofBig Swole has much to be proud ofBig Swole has much to be proud ofBig Swole has much to be proud ofBig Swole has much to be proud ofBig Swole has much to be proud ofBig Swole has much to be proud ofBig Swole has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Big Swole View Post
Any more new review folks? Anything in the "CON" side of the list after this tuning?

Been a few more months. Can we get some updated reviews on the PDK tune??

Old 08-10-2018, 09:07 AM
Originally Posted by Big Swole View Post
Been a few more months. Can we get some updated reviews on the PDK tune??

So I finally decided it was time for me to check it out for myself... For the record Iím a big COBB fan and have had APís on my last two cars over the last 8 years. I have a turbo S with 21K miles and Iím running an ots stage 3 tune.

Install: I followed the directions and had a communication issue. (Iíve had over 10 protunes on my previous car and never had this issue) Iím not sure what the problem was but it worked the second time. Initially it said it was successful but the car wouldnít go into gear. Meaning the shifter moved but the car didnít. (And yes, this was after the relearn)

Result: I chose the aggressive pdk tune. The car in normal mode shifted much better. (Unfortunately this did nothing for me as I only drove in sport mode) But normal mode shifted how it should have from the factory imho. In sport mode it was jerky. It downshifted and actually jerked/bounced. It didnít feel right to me. Also the car shifts at a higher rpm, even in normal driving. So I find I have to switch back to normal mode while on the same drive. (Which I donít like) I would try the sport pdk tune but I have read the turbo S guys donít see a difference between that and the stock turbo pdk tune.

So my review would fall under the negative catagory. I plan on changing the fluids/filter to see if it helps. For those considering this tune, I would get that done first. (Itís not cheap) Iím hoping this review helps. Iím a little disappointed COBB didnít offer all the improvements they did with the 991 pdk tune...

Old 08-10-2018, 10:25 AM

So I finally decided it was time for me to check it out for myself... For the record Iím a big COBB fan and have had APís on my last two cars over the last 8 years. I have a turbo S with 21K miles and Iím running an ots stage 3 tune.

Install: I followed the directions and had a communication issue. (Iíve had over 10 protunes on my previous car and never had this issue) Iím not sure what the problem was but it worked the second time. Initially it said it was successful but the car wouldnít go into gear. Meaning the shifter moved but the car didnít. (And yes, this was after the relearn)

Result: I chose the aggressive pdk tune. The car in normal mode shifted much better. (Unfortunately this did nothing for me as I only drove in sport mode) But normal mode shifted how it should have from the factory imho. In sport mode it was jerky. It downshifted and actually jerked/bounced. It didnít feel right to me. Also the car shifts at a higher rpm, even in normal driving. So I find I have to switch back to normal mode while on the same drive. (Which I donít like) I would try the sport pdk tune but I have read the turbo S guys donít see a difference between that and the stock turbo pdk tune.

So my review would fall under the negative catagory. I plan on changing the fluids/filter to see if it helps. For those considering this tune, I would get that done first. (Itís not cheap) Iím hoping this review helps. Iím a little disappointed COBB didnít offer all the improvements they did with the 991 pdk tune...

I appreciate the reply.
Wondering though, how the "less aggressive" setting would be?

I know the aggressive setting is for "Racing" and / or "Drag racing", as it ups the clamp force (whatever terms can be used for the PDK clutches).
Where as the "sport" or less aggressive setting maybe be better for daily / yet spirited driving.

Anyway, I appreciate the post. I'll take it all into consideration, as I'm still waiting on a few things prior to spending for tuning.

Anybody else??

Old 08-10-2018, 10:39 AM
Unfortunately, if you donít do it you will always wonder. By the difference I felt between the factory turbo S sport pdk tune, compared to the aggressive pdk Cobb tune... Its unlikely there will be any middle ground. Yes, the aggressive tune shifts faster. But itís not a big enough difference to have an inbetween tune. I know three other turbo S owners that tried it and could not tell a difference between the two. For the regular turbo owners the outcome is better, because they come with a slower pdk tune from the factory.

I will get the fluids changed and see if that helps. For the record, my car never had any issues shifting before. My hope was only to make it shift faster, if that was even possible. Of course without the bump/shake/jerk that I have now.

Old 08-10-2018, 10:59 AM
Unfortunately, if you donít do it you will always wonder. By the difference I felt between the factory turbo S sport pdk tune, compared to the aggressive pdk Cobb tune... Its unlikely there will be any middle ground. Yes, the aggressive tune shifts faster. But itís not a big enough difference to have an inbetween tune. I know three other turbo S owners that tried it and could not tell a difference between the two. For the regular turbo owners the outcome is better, because they come with a slower pdk tune from the factory.

I will get the fluids changed and see if that helps. For the record, my car never had any issues shifting before. My hope was only to make it shift faster, if that was even possible. Of course without the bump/shake/jerk that I have now.
Keep us posted on the Fluid / PDK Service and results.

I'm thinking I'll have it done Also, especially if / when I buy tuning. I just want everything perfect and ready when I add tuning.