997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

More problems-997.1 turbo pink fluid leaking and loud whining sound

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 05:44 PM
s65e90 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by wkp42
Just check anti freeze level. The resivoir in engine bay was almost full and I didn’t add water. On another not how do I get to the pulleys without taking back bumper off to see if I can tell which one it is? I took air filter out but couldn’t figure out how to remove air box. Also once airbox removed what can I do to prevent dust being sucked into air pipes and damaging engine.
Sounds like you need a mechanic.

Put a rag in the open hoses. Even leaving them open I'm sure you'd be fine. Take the belt off and run the engine for a second, if noise stops, there you go.

Old 01-02-2018, 05:45 PM
Originally Posted by ctony66
Only if you added water to it. An empty system wont freeze or crack.
For OP's sake to clarify we're talking almost straight water, as the OEM is a 50/50 mix.

Old 01-03-2018, 07:32 PM
wkp42 is an unknown quantity at this point
If you stuffed a wrag in the intake pipe’s wouldn’t it suck them in since that’s the air source? I’m not sure I understand and the anti freeze was slimey in 20 degree weather so I gues OEM 50/50 is pretty good. I’m guessing a rock, but I didn’t see a hole from the front. Maybe a local Porsche dealership can check. If there’s a hole will system keep pumping coolant to that radiator and empty the system? Should it be delivered?

Old 01-03-2018, 07:57 PM
maverick997 is a name known to allmaverick997 is a name known to allmaverick997 is a name known to allmaverick997 is a name known to allmaverick997 is a name known to allmaverick997 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by s65e90
that's like the car's only fault and would've been cheaper if you paid cash versus warranty.
......Engine out coolant pipe fix at dealer is @$4800 without water pump housing.......

Last edited by maverick997; 01-13-2018 at 04:51 PM.
Old 01-03-2018, 09:05 PM
lliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud of
How much fluid has leaked on the ground? How far is the dealer? Highway? Surface roads? City or suburban driving? Can you determine what the rate of the leak is and if running the engine increases the leak amount? Depending on the answer to those questions you may or may not be able to drive the car there.

If you are going to run the engine with the air box out to listen for the noise, DO NOT stuff anything in the pipes. Just don't run it that long.

If you still have plenty of antifreeze in the expansion tank, you can run the car for a short period of time and see what is happening at the suspected leak location to help answer one of those questions. Depending on how much you see leaking when the car is parked, you can take it for a short test run and check the expansion tank to see how the level changed.

If you are worried about the drop in antifreeze, then have the car flatbedded to the dealer. They can diagnose the leak and the noise for you.

Ed

Old 01-05-2018, 09:56 AM
Can someone please point me to a link on how to remove the entire air box on 997.1 TT. Search bar didn’t yield any results.

Old 01-05-2018, 10:14 AM
Originally Posted by wkp42
Can someone please point me to a link on how to remove the entire air box on 997.1 TT. Search bar didn’t yield any results.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ilter-diy.html

Use google for searching and add "forums" or "6speedonline" to searches to be directed to better results.

Old 01-05-2018, 11:55 AM
Originally Posted by s65e90
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ilter-diy.html

Use google for searching and add "forums" or "6speedonline" to searches to be directed to better results.
This just show how to switch out air filter. I’m looking to remove the back half of air box so I can see pulleys.

Old 01-05-2018, 11:56 AM
Originally Posted by lliejk
How much fluid has leaked on the ground? How far is the dealer? Highway? Surface roads? City or suburban driving? Can you determine what the rate of the leak is and if running the engine increases the leak amount? Depending on the answer to those questions you may or may not be able to drive the car there.

If you are going to run the engine with the air box out to listen for the noise, DO NOT stuff anything in the pipes. Just don't run it that long.

If you still have plenty of antifreeze in the expansion tank, you can run the car for a short period of time and see what is happening at the suspected leak location to help answer one of those questions. Depending on how much you see leaking when the car is parked, you can take it for a short test run and check the expansion tank to see how the level changed.

If you are worried about the drop in antifreeze, then have the car flatbedded to the dealer. They can diagnose the leak and the noise for you.

Ed
Thanks for the great reply. As soon as snow and ice goes away I’ll do just as you said.

Old 01-06-2018, 12:51 PM
Made some progress. I was able to get the Y pipe out and then get the air box out. Used a heat gun to heat up all rubber connectors to make all this come out a little easier. Pretty easy took 30 minutes. So now I’d like to know exactly what all the pulleys are. I see in the bottom left the new water pump, in center down low crank shaft pulley and top left alternator. Are the 3 small black pulleys all tensioner pulleys and are these the ones most prone and suspect to whine (bearing failure??)? What are the 2 larger pulleys in right connected to (oil pump center and power steering top right?) and are they suspect to whine? Can crankshaft pulley whine? How to you release tension on belt to remove it? How do you get it back on if your hands won’t fit down to crankshaft pulley? Once I get belt off will I be able to spin pulleys and tell pretty obviously which one is the culprit? Will it feel raspy and scratchy versus very smooth and free spinning? Also, if I crank car now to try and hear which pulley is making noise, how will motor not go crazy if all the intake sensors are disconnected???!!

Last edited by wkp42; 01-06-2018 at 12:55 PM.
Old 01-06-2018, 12:53 PM

Old 01-06-2018, 02:39 PM
ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !
It wont run to good if at all. It will also throw a lot of codes. No mafs or pressure sensor. Your better off just pulling the belt and checking the pulleys by hand.

Old 01-06-2018, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by ctony66
It wont run to good if at all. It will also throw a lot of codes. No mafs or pressure sensor. Your better off just pulling the belt and checking the pulleys by hand.
Ok. How exactly do you get belt off and how do you get it back ok? Is there a tensioner pulley that’s easily released? My hands won’t fit down there to get around the crankshaft pulley. Don’t want to get it off and not be able to get it back ok.

Old 01-06-2018, 03:01 PM
ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !
Never had to change mine but I believe like this
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...tine-belt.html
Or use rocks water pump diy
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...diy-guide.html

Last edited by ctony66; 01-06-2018 at 03:04 PM.
Old 01-06-2018, 03:33 PM
lliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud of
No, only the center pulley is tension, the others are idler pulleys. Any of the three can be making noise. The tension is released by rotating the 24mm bolt at the center of the tensioner pulley clockwise. Idler and tensioner pulleys can definitely generate noise, but so can any rotating part of the serpentine system. PS pump is far right silver wheel. Center black is the AC Compressor.

When you loosen the tensioner pulley you will need to make sure you know where the belt is routed BEFORE you do this. If you are going to remove the belt, mark it with an arrow in the direction it spins so you replace it the same way it came off.

The fitment is pretty tight, so it is unlikely it will come off the crank pulley unintentionally. In some of the write ups I have seen, people will loosen the bolts on the PS pump before loosening the tension and then remove that pulley once the belt tension is removed to make R&R'ing the belt easier.

In most write ups the order of placing the belt back on starts from bottom left to the right and ends on the top left with the alternator second to last and the idler below it last.

IT may be a little fiddly to spin the various pieces with the belt still hanging loose on the car. I have only done that test to confirm I have no issues with the belt completely out, but my guess is that you should be able to move the belt a bit at each spot to spin each pulley and listen for noise or feel for any untoward movement. The alternator will have a bit of end play but should not be growling or squealing as you spin it.

I am not sure about cranking the car now, but I would normally do that check with my stethoscope before pulling everything apart. Maybe someone else can comment on that.

Ed

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: More problems-997.1 turbo pink fluid leaking and loud whining sound