997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

More problems-997.1 turbo pink fluid leaking and loud whining sound

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 08:35 AM
wkp42 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by The Bogg
I would say "yes" change the 2nd idler. While my engine is down I'm having the water pump, both idler pulleys and the tensioner replaced. In addition to a whole bunch of other stuff.
Any links to aftermarket upgrades pulley kits? Or great deals on factory parts anywhere?

Old 01-17-2018, 11:18 PM
lliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud of
Unless your setup is different, while you can loosen that small bolt, that mounts the idler puller assembly to the engine, the large 24mm bolt allows you to release tension without removing the idler. However one of your tasks will be to R&R that one anyway.

Pelican Parts is a good source, there may be others but I use them and my dealer for various things. Since some parts are also Audi, I have another set of vendors, like ECS for them.

Ed

Ed

Old 01-18-2018, 08:43 AM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
I check prices and availability from RM European, Pelican and ECS and choose one of them typically.

Old 01-19-2018, 06:01 PM
There’s quite a few different brands of pulleys on pelican, which do you recommend? Felt good to smoke that vette! It barely ran at an idle it was so tuned and cammed.
Originally Posted by lliejk
Unless your setup is different, while you can loosen that small bolt, that mounts the idler puller assembly to the engine, the large 24mm bolt allows you to release tension without removing the idler. However one of your tasks will be to R&R that one anyway.

Pelican Parts is a good source, there may be others but I use them and my dealer for various things. Since some parts are also Audi, I have another set of vendors, like ECS for them.

Ed

Ed

Last edited by wkp42; 09-23-2018 at 08:18 AM.
Old 01-20-2018, 09:50 AM
lliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud of
First I would call the dealer and let them know what they did. This is a dumb rookie mistake that should never happen with technicians paid to work on Porsche vehicles. They should offer a discount off of whatever they charged you. If they don't, you should mention something like, "Now you are not going to charge me the full amount for the visit, correct?" If they refuse I would start looking for a different dealer. If it was my dealer they would credit the entire bill since they would be beyond embarrassed.

If the engine ran fine after you tightened it up I would not worry about permanent damage, however I would also make the dealership aware that is anything is found to be amiss, you will expect them to take care of whatever it may be. Unless you were driving in a monsoon or a dust storm, I wouldn't be too worried. The biggest concern would be getting a chunk of something sucked into the engine that would cause damage, but brine, small dust particles or water would either cause misfires or other temporary symptoms that should not cause permanent damage. Suck in a pebble or screw or something, then yeah, you could have serious issues, but you would know about it and the chances of that are quite slim.

As a follow up to this, although the dealership is far away, I would plan on getting the vehicle to them and have them pull codes, document and then clear those codes and plan on doing a follow up check with them a month or so (depending on how often you drive) to check codes again. They should do all of this gratis and you should get them to agree to this before investing any of your time.

As far as parts, stay away from anything made in China (Meyle is a supplier I would never buy from). The OEM provider listed on the Pelican site would be a good choice. On the ECS site the Febi product for the tensioner is a company I have used for Audi parts and been happy with:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-febi-par...611501672~feb/

This is a kit from ECS that has the belt, idler and tensioner pulleys:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assemble...9919237950kt1/

Here is just the idler pulley (you need 2) from Pelican (same Sebro OEM supplier):

https://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog..._pg1.htm#item1

The tensioner from Sebro at Pelican:

RM European also has the same roller and tensioner pulley products.

Good luck with the dealer, be professional, but firm, in making sure they know your expectations were not met. If they are good guys they will jump right on this and even offer to check the car for you at no charge without you asking.

Ed

Old 02-12-2018, 10:10 PM
Thanks to everyone for all the help. I replaced the tensioner pulley and both idlers and t got rid of the noise. Car is back in tip top shape. Really enjoying it.

Thinking about replacing the the front rotors. Any recommendations on where to buy the best OEM replacements?

Originally Posted by lliejk
First I would call the dealer and let them know what they did. This is a dumb rookie mistake that should never happen with technicians paid to work on Porsche vehicles. They should offer a discount off of whatever they charged you. If they don't, you should mention something like, "Now you are not going to charge me the full amount for the visit, correct?" If they refuse I would start looking for a different dealer. If it was my dealer they would credit the entire bill since they would be beyond embarrassed.

If the engine ran fine after you tightened it up I would not worry about permanent damage, however I would also make the dealership aware that is anything is found to be amiss, you will expect them to take care of whatever it may be. Unless you were driving in a monsoon or a dust storm, I wouldn't be too worried. The biggest concern would be getting a chunk of something sucked into the engine that would cause damage, but brine, small dust particles or water would either cause misfires or other temporary symptoms that should not cause permanent damage. Suck in a pebble or screw or something, then yeah, you could have serious issues, but you would know about it and the chances of that are quite slim.

As a follow up to this, although the dealership is far away, I would plan on getting the vehicle to them and have them pull codes, document and then clear those codes and plan on doing a follow up check with them a month or so (depending on how often you drive) to check codes again. They should do all of this gratis and you should get them to agree to this before investing any of your time.

As far as parts, stay away from anything made in China (Meyle is a supplier I would never buy from). The OEM provider listed on the Pelican site would be a good choice. On the ECS site the Febi product for the tensioner is a company I have used for Audi parts and been happy with:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-febi-par...611501672~feb/

This is a kit from ECS that has the belt, idler and tensioner pulleys:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assemble...9919237950kt1/

Here is just the idler pulley (you need 2) from Pelican (same Sebro OEM supplier):

The tensioner from Sebro at Pelican:

RM European also has the same roller and tensioner pulley products.

Good luck with the dealer, be professional, but firm, in making sure they know your expectations were not met. If they are good guys they will jump right on this and even offer to check the car for you at no charge without you asking.

Ed

Old 02-14-2018, 09:12 AM
Pelican Parts for rotors (Brembo), Suncoast for Porsche pads.

Ed

Old 02-14-2018, 02:14 PM
Basic Sponsor
PelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond repute
Hi wkp42, here is a link directly to the rotors. If you go to page one, you'll find our brake pad offerings as well.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog...pg3.htm#item14

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 02-16-2018, 08:22 AM
s65e90 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by wkp42
Ed,The dealership delivered my car back to me tonight. I immediately went to drive it. As soon as I punched it I heard a loud blowing noise and very loud pssshhhhhh when I let off gas. Went back to my garage and all the hose clamps were loose!!!!! The hose clamps on the y pipe (including where it ties into intake on top of motor) and the hose clamps on the air box were all loose!!!! Total of 5 hose clamps. They drove it like this 1.5 hours from dealership in melting snow and salt brine!!!! I tightened them up and noise obviously stopped. How air tight is the motor lid/compartment from outside elements? Think it sucked any salt brine in there? Went out and found a cammed out tuned up z06 to race and when we hit 150 his tail lights weren’t gaining in my rear view mirror so it’s still strong but I’m concerned. Was worried the dealership would overwrite my tuning but they didn’t. What’s the chances dust size particles made it into motor? Also there’s quite a few different brands of pulleys on pelican, which do you recommend? Felt good to smoke that vette! It barely ran at an idle it was so tuned and cammed.

Slim to none, stop worrying so much.