997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997.2 Exhaust Install Questions

Old 01-15-2018, 04:55 PM
Kapoosh1 has a spectacular aura aboutKapoosh1 has a spectacular aura aboutKapoosh1 has a spectacular aura about
997.2 Exhaust Install Questions

Picking up a used Catless Kline Race exhaust and had a few questions before I attempt a DIY. I searched and didn't find any clear cut instructions.

Will I need any special tools?
Are there any nuts or gaskets I should buy before attempting to install it?

It's going on a Turbo with only 11K miles so hopefully it'll go smoothly.

Old 01-15-2018, 08:58 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Hey bud,
Get some penetrating lube and spray everything so it can soak. That will be your best move. When you get the Kline stuff send me pics so we can make sure you have good gaskets and bolts.

Old 01-16-2018, 09:58 AM
Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Kapoosh1
Picking up a used Catless Kline Race exhaust and had a few questions before I attempt a DIY. I searched and didn't find any clear cut instructions.

Apparently the 997.2 does not have as many issues with the bolts compared to the 997.1. Use PB blaster or equivalent and let them soak. I sprayed the studs and nuts twice a day, 2 days prior to me starting the removal and everything came off perfectly without any broken studs.

Old 01-16-2018, 01:03 PM
erikchich has a brilliant futureerikchich has a brilliant futureerikchich has a brilliant futureerikchich has a brilliant futureerikchich has a brilliant futureerikchich has a brilliant futureerikchich has a brilliant futureerikchich has a brilliant futureerikchich has a brilliant futureerikchich has a brilliant futureerikchich has a brilliant future

The install is pretty straight forward. A lift makes the job a lot easier. The only issue I came across when installing mine was that the bolts for the stock cats are kind of tucked in behind the cat itself. I had to heat up a wrench and bend it on a 45 degree angle to get access to those bolts.

Old 01-16-2018, 07:57 PM
Kapoosh1 has a spectacular aura aboutKapoosh1 has a spectacular aura aboutKapoosh1 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
Hey bud,
Get some penetrating lube and spray everything so it can soak. That will be your best move. When you get the Kline stuff send me pics so we can make sure you have good gaskets and bolts.
Will do, thanks for all your help!

And I appreciate the advice, I'll tackle this in the next week or two.

Old 01-18-2018, 07:33 PM
therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !

As others have said....Really soak with PB Blaster...I would suggest over night or longer so you do not break them. Also, if you can get your hands on any wrenches like the ones below, it really makes it easier to get the nuts off around the Cats.

Good luck,
DC

Old 01-19-2018, 08:11 PM
mattgarrett is a jewel in the roughmattgarrett is a jewel in the roughmattgarrett is a jewel in the roughmattgarrett is a jewel in the rough
I did one on the floor with just a floor jack. Only problem was getting the boost loose because of rust. Other than that very easy and straight forward. If you have a lift it is even easier. Spray everything down with rust penetrant and you will be good to go. Good Luck.

Old 01-22-2018, 11:59 AM
mavila is a glorious beacon of lightmavila is a glorious beacon of lightmavila is a glorious beacon of lightmavila is a glorious beacon of lightmavila is a glorious beacon of lightmavila is a glorious beacon of light
I tried it myself and without any of the weird curved wrenches shown above I just could not get to the bolts for the O2 sensors. I had to give up and drove the car to my shop with no bumper or taillights.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:16 PM
mikerosi is a jewel in the roughmikerosi is a jewel in the roughmikerosi is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by mavila
I tried it myself and without any of the weird curved wrenches shown above I just could not get to the bolts for the O2 sensors. I had to give up and drove the car to my shop with no bumper or taillights.
You disconnect the O2 sensors first then you drop the exhaust then you take the O2 sensors off