6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   997 Turbo / GT2 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-turbo-gt2-58/)
-   -   Opinions on TPC DSC for 997.2 Turbo S? (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-turbo-gt2/420180-opinions-tpc-dsc-997-2-turbo-s.html)

CodeBlue911 05-07-2018 01:16 AM

Opinions on TPC DSC for 997.2 Turbo S?

I know there was a big thread from a few years back. Just wondering if anyone has any input on how it performs specifically on a Turbo S with stock suspension. Especially, if only street driven. Is it worth it if never tracked?
Thanks in advance!

Lennon31987 05-07-2018 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by CodeBlue911 (Post 4713736)
I know there was a big thread from a few years back. Just wondering if anyone has any input on how it performs specifically on a Turbo S with stock suspension. Especially, if only street driven. Is it worth it if never tracked?
Thanks in advance!

do it.

cyclrder 05-07-2018 03:22 PM

one of the best if not the best mod you can do... makes the car much more comfortable under normal circumstances and then a beast when you get on it. Just do it.

Big Swole 05-23-2018 05:46 PM

Anyone have any suggestion on where to get the best price on one of these??

I keep hearing I need to buy one, just like in this thread.

Big Swole 08-09-2018 01:36 PM

Well, I gave in and ordered at TPC DCS Plug & Play module. I've not heard a negative thing about it and only very positive stuff. Can't wait to see what improvement over the stock PASM module it provides.

Thank you to Tom at TPC for answering all my questions and providing great customer service!!

For those considering it, here is how he explain how it works and makes the car even better.

"DSC works completely different from PASM controller.
PASM Normal mode is 20% stiffness, PASM Sport mode is 80% stiffness.
The middle range between 20% and 80% is not used even through often the middle range is desired.
DSC is fully active and works in ranges.
DSC Normal mode is a range of 5% to 100% stiffness, DSC Sport mode is a range of 20% to 100% stiffness.
DSC reads the g-force and vehicle speed data and command the stiffness to be appropriate for the situation.
The stock shocks with change to DSC commands at 10x per second.
This will give you better ride over bumps and GT3-like handling on twisty roads when driven enthusiastically to produce higher g-force.
Basically the harder you drive the stiffer the suspension gets. Driving leisurely will be a more comfortable ride than stock."

Whosdady 08-09-2018 08:14 PM

I have the module and a turbo S. I’m happy. It rides like a 991 in normal mode and is firmer than before in sport mode. I think it’s worth the money. I have never read/heard of any complaints...

Big Swole 08-09-2018 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Whosdady (Post 4732272)
I have the module and a turbo S. I’m happy. It rides like a 991 in normal mode and is firmer than before in sport mode. I think it’s worth the money. I have never read/heard of any complaints...

I'm def. looking forward to it!

Whosdady 08-09-2018 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Big Swole (Post 4732277)
I'm def. looking forward to it!

It was in my top 7 favorite things I have done to my car..
1) gt2rs wheels
2) Cobb ap
3) gt2rs cf side intakes
4) 991. 2 steering wheel
5) bbi exhaust
6) Champion ic’s
7) dsc

Big Swole 08-09-2018 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Whosdady (Post 4732282)

It was in my top 7 favorite things I have done to my car..
1) gt2rs wheels
2) Cobb ap
3) gt2rs cf side intakes
4) 991. 2 steering wheel
5) bbi exhaust
6) Champion ic’s
7) dsc

Who's tuning did you go with?
The car's already amazingly fast, but how big of "seat of pants" gain did you feel from it?
Did you do any 1/4 passes before / after?

Whosdady 08-09-2018 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Big Swole (Post 4732283)
Who's tuning did you go with?
The car's already amazingly fast, but how big of "seat of pants" gain did you feel from it?
Did you do any 1/4 passes before / after?

No Dyno tuning or 1/4 mile runs. I have an ots Cobb stage 3 tune. I have evom headers, ipd y pipe/plenum and a few other items. I finally got the pdk tune and was less than happy.

I’m considering meth and that’s why I’ve been waiting for a protune. I go back and forth. 3-4 cars have recently blown up with it. Maybe a coincidence but who knows? I’m pretty conservative...

On a side note, my car was the twin of yours when I bought it. (gt silver turbo S) I recently got a package deal on some gt2rs mirrors, side intakes and the rear panel. I just listed my current NR Auto intakes for sale if you are interested. (I mention this as it sounds like you have the mod bug)

Big Swole 08-09-2018 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Whosdady (Post 4732285)

No Dyno tuning or 1/4 mile runs. I have an ots Cobb stage 3 tune. I have evom headers, ipd y pipe/plenum and a few other items. I finally got the pdk tune and was less than happy.

I’m considering meth and that’s why I’ve been waiting for a protune. I go back and forth. 3-4 cars have recently blown up with it. Maybe a coincidence but who knows? I’m pretty conservative...

On a side note, my car was the twin of yours when I bought it. (gt silver turbo S) I recently got a package deal on some gt2rs mirrors, side intakes and the rear panel. I just listed my current NR Auto intakes for sale if you are interested. (I mention this as it sounds like you have the mod bug)

PM'd you so we don't take this thread too off track
Thanks for the info so far.

skyak 08-09-2018 10:32 PM

Love the dsc on my 997.1 TT. Right up there with changing the clutch.
I believe they improved the stock suspension on the .2, so maybe not as drastic a change vs. the .1?

Big Swole 08-11-2018 08:33 PM

I received mine today and decided to do a crude little install video. Hope this helps for those not sure about it. It was really easy.
I'll know more about how I like it tmrw. I didn't get a chance to drive more than around the block today.

Big Swole 08-12-2018 07:07 PM

BTW, I just got back from an approximate 100 mile drive (city, highway, and some fairly curvy roads). It only took me just about 3-5 miles to feel the difference in city road driving. The ride is a good bit more compliant and smooth. This alone made this purchase worth it.

As soon as I threw it through the first hard curve, I knew it was better. The turn-in was very confidence inspiring and very smooth. The car seemed less twitchy and immediately felt settled. It felt flatter through all of the corners. Transitions from left to right and back were even more smooth and flat.

Needless to say, I'm Very happy with my purchase of the TPC DSC sport module. I hate to sound like a broke record, but for the money, it's hard to think of a better mod. I can't wait to do a true mountain run where I can get a good bit more aggressive than the roads I got on today. The track would be a real test, but that'll have to wait for now..

Big Swole 08-15-2018 08:02 PM

I just got back from a 275 mile drive to the mountain and back. I'm totally Sold on this TPC DSC module!!!!

My car is even more fun and more confidence inspiring!!!

Thank you again Tom!!