997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

do88 big pack vs IPD Y-pipe only

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 07:39 PM
mr dw has a spectacular aura aboutmr dw has a spectacular aura about
do88 big pack vs IPD Y-pipe only

I am planning the next build stage for my 997.2TTS. Currently set up is below...
suspension/wheels
Cobb AP with PDK
DSC-Sport
Kline catless exhaust
IPD Plenum

I am trying to decide between keeping the stock intercoolers and simply add an IPD y-pipe and custom tune for various fuels...

--OR--

Go with do88 big pack which includes intercoolers, do88 Y-pipe and I would get the optional turbo inlet pipes and add methanol injection. Then get a custom tune.

The do88 route is about $5k more. Not a deal breaker, but not chump-change either. My goal is to build a well balanced all-around street car without overdoing it. I plan to do a few track days per year, drag racing (both quarter and half mile), plus a bit of street racing. I do not plan to ever do a turbo upgrade, turbo manifolds, engine mods, etc.

I have some concerns that the do88 will make the car less-responsive due to the increased volume in the Y-pipe, intercoolers. and turbo inlets. I would not want to give up mid-range torque or throttle response just to gain a little upper range HP.

Has anyone had their car set up both ways that can provide some input?

Old 05-09-2018, 08:00 PM
jazzwu is a jewel in the roughjazzwu is a jewel in the roughjazzwu is a jewel in the rough
You want a fast car that wins more? You mentioned street and drags and half mile runs.

1. Get rid of the Kline exhaust. Get a true 3" exhaust catless. Bbi, esmotor and speedtech and gmg are great choices for this. Kline I've heard isnt the best for flow.

2. Get the do88 big pack in full.

3. Custom tune by ESMotor.

That's it.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:29 PM
Whosdady is a jewel in the roughWhosdady is a jewel in the roughWhosdady is a jewel in the rough
Everyone will have their own preference. For example, I’m not a huge fan of Kline either and I really like bbi. I also like the ipd plenum and y pipe. But I would much prefer ic’s over a y pipe and plenum. But I liked the champion ic option a lot better than the brand you referenced.

Look at the quickest cars and see what they use. YouTube is a great place to start...

Old 05-10-2018, 08:48 AM
Former Vendor
@pkop2JZ is a name known to all@pkop2JZ is a name known to all@pkop2JZ is a name known to all@pkop2JZ is a name known to all@pkop2JZ is a name known to all@pkop2JZ is a name known to all
I got the "smaller" do88 intercoolers with y-pipe, came out great and will definitely fit your goals, especially with meth injection!

Old 05-10-2018, 03:25 PM
M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !
mr. dw you will get multiple recommendations on recipes as you can see already. For full IC kits there is data for 997.2 intercoolers vs. AMS, would be worth a look. Champion intercoolers also looked good in the data using smaller turbos.

On the exhaust I find it quite interesting other members prefer the BBi over Kline. In my case I sold my original Kline, installed a brand new BBi and I took it off in a couple weeks and got a refund. I ended up buying another Kline exhaust from Sam just like my original one. I have back to back data and at the power it was running at the time ~600whp, there was no difference. I took the BBi off because it droned in the cabin. Everyone's level of acceptable cabin drone is different. My car makes over 700whp now and the Kline has been fine when I compare to other setups in the piles of datalogs I have collected over time. This is my daily driver in good weather, I preferred the Kline in cabin sound level over BBi hands down. May want to look at Protomotive too.

Old 05-10-2018, 04:11 PM
low drone and low cabin noise is a BIG part of the reason I went with Kline. I spent a lot of time listening to online exhaust videos and loved the sound. In my experience, unless you are looking for really big HP (1000+) high flow exhaust is more about sound than power. They all make way more power than OE.

Old 05-10-2018, 05:28 PM
Harry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud of
The guy is talking about a relatively stock setup and adding 1) IPD y-pipe or, 2) a complete intercooler system. We're all jumping the gun and tell him to change his complete setup...

I say keep the stock 997.2 intercoolers and spend the money on something else. Ohh and i like my Kline too. I'm running a 70mm version. Unless we're talking full bolt-on's including 68mm turbo's, i probably won't have to switch to a true 3" system.

Old 05-10-2018, 05:52 PM
02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !02black330ci Is a GOD !
First, great looking car! The current setup you have is a great start. I currently have the AMS intercooler kit which comes with a Y-pipe and as Maestro has mentioned it’s worth a quick look at the data comparing it to your stock ones. As far as exhausts goes, there are so many options, it comes down to your goals and preference. No complains with my Kline and I am also past 700whp. My previous exhaust was a Cargraphics one, great exhaust but I couldn’t swap in cat-deletes, so in the end I narrowed it down to Kline and Protomotive.

Old 05-21-2018, 04:51 PM
bumping my own thread to get some more input. =)
I had decided to just do the exhaust, y-pipe and plenum. But then I went to Streecar take over. My goal is to make as much power as I can without sacrificing fun (ie response), drive-ability(ie noise), and track day performance (ie twisties). I am not so much worried about the added cost of the intercoolers EXCEPT that I want to be certain they will make my car faster. I have a suspicion that with methanol, the intercoolers really don't help much except for really long pulls... 1/2 mile stuff.

Specific question - how much actual power will the intercoolers add vs the exhaust/ypipe/plenum and methanol?

Last edited by mr dw; 05-21-2018 at 04:55 PM.
Old 05-21-2018, 05:27 PM
jazzwu is a jewel in the roughjazzwu is a jewel in the roughjazzwu is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by mr dw
bumping my own thread to get some more input. =)
I had decided to just do the exhaust, y-pipe and plenum. But then I went to Streecar take over. My goal is to make as much power as I can without sacrificing fun (ie response), drive-ability(ie noise), and track day performance (ie twisties). I am not so much worried about the added cost of the intercoolers EXCEPT that I want to be certain they will make my car faster. I have a suspicion that with methanol, the intercoolers really don't help much except for really long pulls... 1/2 mile stuff.

Specific question - how much actual power will the intercoolers add vs the exhaust/ypipe/plenum and methanol?
What are your goals specifically? Track capability and just 1/4 mile? Rolling races to under 150 mph? Or beyond?

I'll give you both numbers dyno and vbox acceleration numbers as an example.

my car did 654 whp with just meth and catless 3" exhaust and custom cobb tune. Stock everything else. 6.18 seconds 60 to 130 mph going a little uphill too. LLP

Peers' cars on same dyno with ipd plenum y pipe and intercoolers added on top of what I have are doing 680 to 700+ whp. Better cooling and even faster in the long run. They do 60 to 130 mph in under 6 seconds consistently and some hit mid 5s.

that's my points of reference. I'd add the intercoolers honestly. And for track days, turn off the meth and run base pump gas map or get the tuner to make you a good track conservative map.

which tuner are you going with? You getting the cobb but did you pick a custom tuner yet?

Old 05-21-2018, 06:32 PM
thanks Jazzwu - thats exactly the type of input that is helpful. I am definately getting a protune. I am considering Rush Works, Emre, and Sambo. Not sure yet.

If there truly isn't a downside to the intercoolers, I will probably do them. I'm coming from a CTS-V so $4k for 50hp isn't what I'm used to... but it is what it is and this ain't no 'merican V8.

Old 05-21-2018, 06:36 PM
thanks Jazzwu - thats exactly the type of input that is helpful. I am definately getting a protune. I am considering Rush Works, Emre, and Sambo. Not sure yet.

If there truly isn't a downside to the intercoolers, I will probably do them. I'm coming from a CTS-V so $4k for 50hp isn't what I'm used to... but it is what it is and this ain't no 'merican V8.
how much power was your ctsv packing? 1/4 mile?

Old 05-21-2018, 07:19 PM
750whp... 11.0et but I know it has 10's in it if I could get traction. Completely different animal than the Porsche. I was surprised the p-car was just as fast... stock

Old 05-21-2018, 07:23 PM
750whp... 11.0et but I know it has 10's in it if I could get traction. Completely different animal than the Porsche. I was surprised the p-car was just as fast... stock
Then just imagine a full bolt on 997.2 your car. Not even a race. Complete destruction.

Old 05-21-2018, 07:42 PM
Originally Posted by jazzwu
Then just imagine a full bolt on 997.2 your car. Not even a race. Complete destruction.
my pants are getting tight thinking about it.

Yeah, I was pretty surprised when I had both cars at the track at the same time and the stock Porsche was faster every run... it was pretty close but faster.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: do88 big pack vs IPD Y-pipe only