Xonas are on! - Page 2 - 6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

997 Turbo / GT2 20062012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Xonas are on!

Old 05-16-2018, 04:12 PM
The Bogg has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bogg has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bogg has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bogg has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bogg has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bogg has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bogg has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bogg has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bogg has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bogg has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bogg has a reputation beyond repute
First impressions - lol

I thought I was running on just wastegates but there's no freakin way this is just wastegate pressure.

Looks like peak boost is around 19psi I think. Not sure what settings are currently being used in the boost controller but presumably whatever is "default". I haven't looked at the manual so didn't know how to actually turn the boost controller "off" to just use wastegate.

Anyway, picked up the car and it was rush hour so there were only a few controlled bursts. The base tune is pretty smooth. Giving a bit of juice in 2nd and 3rd is smooth. Lots of new noises, lol. The hissing from the turbos is way louder.

Got on the highway and did a couple of short duration full throttle bursts in 4th gear. Felt like I needed to hang on to the steering wheel.

The datalogs don't really say too much since they were just short bursts. Tomorrow I will do a proper third gear datalog and some pbox data if I can, just for baseline.

Subjectively, doesn't feel superlaggy in modest driving. The first few times I let off after accelerating I had to look around and see where the truck was. It was just the bovs pffting out some air, lol. My first car with bovs.

Old 05-16-2018, 04:20 PM
faiz is just really nicefaiz is just really nicefaiz is just really nicefaiz is just really nice
Congrats

Looking fwd to meeting up

Old 05-16-2018, 05:01 PM
TT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond repute
Congrats, remember you promised pics, lots ....

Hope you kept the HKS's manual, so many things those buttons do ... Longpress upper two will turn it on/off, second button cycles maps (longpress saves current setting/map as default/startup condition), 3rd button brightness longpress resets PH value, other combos cant recall right now ....

Old 05-16-2018, 07:04 PM
The Bogg has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bogg has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bogg has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bogg has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bogg has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bogg has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bogg has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bogg has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bogg has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bogg has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bogg has a reputation beyond repute
yeah lots of pics to come...

I did keep the manual, thanks for the HKS tips.

Old 05-16-2018, 07:55 PM
M3 Maestro has a reputation beyond reputeM3 Maestro has a reputation beyond reputeM3 Maestro has a reputation beyond reputeM3 Maestro has a reputation beyond reputeM3 Maestro has a reputation beyond reputeM3 Maestro has a reputation beyond reputeM3 Maestro has a reputation beyond reputeM3 Maestro has a reputation beyond reputeM3 Maestro has a reputation beyond reputeM3 Maestro has a reputation beyond reputeM3 Maestro has a reputation beyond repute
Yes we need lots of data.

Old 05-16-2018, 08:43 PM
Don't worry guys, I won't disappoint. Whatever data I get will be shared. Tons of pics so I have to sort them and then post a log of the process.

I'm going to start a separate thread with "tips for those going beyond vtgs" because there isn't currently any such thread for newbs like me and I learned a ton of stuff during this process. It really is a bit intimidating for those of us who aren't familiar with bovs and boost controllers. It was certainly painless using vtgs with stock boost control and protection built in. You give up some of that convenience and peace of mind when you leave vtgs...

Old 05-16-2018, 08:50 PM
Looks like there are lots of us in the GTA, we should definitely meet up one day...

Old 05-16-2018, 09:07 PM
Basic Sponsor
SamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond repute
Awesome Asher. They were cool on the HKS install? Get me data before you lay in too deep haha. That Canadian fuel is no better than out 91 here and it makes me nervous. So glad to hear you are on the road and the base map is smooth!

Proud TOP Porsche Distributor For:

Kline-Innovation - ams Performance - TiALSPORT/XONA - #1 COBB PRO TUNER - SRM - IPD Plenums - SACHS - dodsonmotorsport

Dedicated Customer Service Since 1998. - 310.600.1850 [email protected]
Old 05-16-2018, 09:27 PM
Hey Sam,
HKS unit was installed successfully, I think lol. I will play with it in the next couple of days. I will datalog real soon. I suppose I should burn off this 6month old crappy gas in the tank too before going much further. You mentioned removing the secondary air pump on startup - I think that's a good idea, it is a bit rougher than with vtgs, I assume it's because of the change in plumbing? What was the purpose of the secondary air pump? Other than to wake the neighbours in the morning heh heh.

Old 05-16-2018, 09:42 PM
Basic Sponsor
SamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond repute
Emission stuff. Warms up the catalytic converters (If you have them LOL) faster to start burning excess fuel sooner. Your turbine along with everything else have opened up so yeah you can hear it all now. Cool just keep your senses aware and get that fuel out of there. Even if it’s a short burst you can send it over and I’ll be right there for you.

Proud TOP Porsche Distributor For:

Kline-Innovation - ams Performance - TiALSPORT/XONA - #1 COBB PRO TUNER - SRM - IPD Plenums - SACHS - dodsonmotorsport

Dedicated Customer Service Since 1998. - 310.600.1850 [email protected]
Old 05-17-2018, 07:28 AM
turboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant future
HKS is good...but Greddy Profecs always been a favorite in the JDM world

http://greddy.com/featured/42

Originally Posted by The Bogg View Post
Hey Sam,
HKS unit was installed successfully, I think lol. I will play with it in the next couple of days. I will datalog real soon. I suppose I should burn off this 6month old crappy gas in the tank too before going much further. You mentioned removing the secondary air pump on startup - I think that's a good idea, it is a bit rougher than with vtgs, I assume it's because of the change in plumbing? What was the purpose of the secondary air pump? Other than to wake the neighbours in the morning heh heh.

Old 05-17-2018, 10:12 AM
faiz is just really nicefaiz is just really nicefaiz is just really nicefaiz is just really nice
Fuel

what fuel will u run? Petro 94, shell 91 or Esso 93?

Old 05-17-2018, 10:41 AM
Johnny DB has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny DB has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny DB has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny DB has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny DB has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny DB has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny DB has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny DB has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny DB has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny DB has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny DB has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by faiz View Post

Also interested in the answer...

Old 05-17-2018, 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by turboslut View Post
HKS is good...but Greddy Profecs always been a favorite in the JDM world

http://greddy.com/featured/42
When I was researching I was told HKS would be best for me but that Greddy and Plex Pro were options. Plex Pro connects directly to canbus

Old 05-17-2018, 12:15 PM
Originally Posted by faiz View Post

Ultra 94 unless someone tells me to pick something else, lol. As far as I know, all of them are now oxygenated. I heard that maybe some Shell 91 is not oxygenated but can't confirm.