997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Xonas are on!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2019, 07:27 PM
wcarson has a spectacular aura aboutwcarson has a spectacular aura aboutwcarson has a spectacular aura about
Bogg- your thread has been very helpful and informative to all of us here! Sounds like you are getting it nicely dialed in. Have you done any 60-130 runs with your current setup?

Old 10-31-2019, 08:31 AM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
^^thanks, it's been a labour of love.
I did a 60-130 earlier in the summer before it was really dialled in. I did a 3-4 shift with a bit of bog in between and it did 6.5s. Car pulls stronger now with no bog (just the bogg!) but I haven't had a chance to do another 60-130 run yet. I probably won't get one done until spring but then the necessary hose changes/plugs/ etc will be done so I should be able to taper up the boost in the higher rpms and I'm confident that the car will get into the high 5s on pumpgas, which is what I had hoped for...

Old 10-31-2019, 12:47 PM
wcarson has a spectacular aura aboutwcarson has a spectacular aura aboutwcarson has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by The Bogg
^^thanks, it's been a labour of love.
I did a 60-130 earlier in the summer before it was really dialled in. I did a 3-4 shift with a bit of bog in between and it did 6.5s. Car pulls stronger now with no bog (just the bogg!) but I haven't had a chance to do another 60-130 run yet. I probably won't get one done until spring but then the necessary hose changes/plugs/ etc will be done so I should be able to taper up the boost in the higher rpms and I'm confident that the car will get into the high 5s on pumpgas, which is what I had hoped for...

That's pretty awesome. Sounds like you will definitely be in the 5's with things all dialed in. Keep us posted!

Old 10-31-2019, 03:55 PM
Dguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of light
Hey Bogg, when installing the xonas, does the engine have to come out or can it be done with engine in. One of my GT2 68mm turbos bit the dust and am working with Sam on whether we rebuild those or go the xona route.

Old 10-31-2019, 05:15 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dguth
Hey Bogg, when installing the xonas, does the engine have to come out or can it be done with engine in. One of my GT2 68mm turbos bit the dust and am working with Sam on whether we rebuild those or go the xona route.
Sorry to hear that. There are at least 2 reasons why the engine needs to come down - to put the plumbing in place for the vac hoses to the solenoid and the connection to the back of the plenum, the boost hoses from compressor housing to solenoid and back to wastegates. You probably technically could do this from the top but I think it would take at least as many hours that way. The second big reason is the wiring for the boost controller and I don't know if it is possible to complete this part without the drop. I know you already have an awesome engine build so I assume you don't need to do any other work like clutch, coolant pipes, injectors, air inlets, plugs etc...
My friends who work on their own cars can drop the engine in 3 to 4 hours. I assume it takes a few hours to reinstall. Just getting to the back of the plenum is a major pita and the more I think about it the more I realize how much more sense it makes to drop the engine for this job. If anyone has done it without dropping the engine please chime in!

Old 10-31-2019, 05:20 PM
Duh, I completely forgot about the coolant lines to the turbos. Proto sells the kit with the adaptors and yeah I think engine needs to come down for the installation of the lines. It comes down to economics...if you can get your turbo repaired for under a few thousand then it may be worth it. Beyond that it is a judgment call. Good luck!

Old 10-31-2019, 05:45 PM
Dguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of light
Thanks for the insight! Tough decisions I know. I've put a ton of money into this build/car already and part of me hopes I can just rebuild the current ones and move on. The other part I realize is that the VTGs are the choke point in maximizing the build effort. The xonas would probably really compliment the enhancements of the engine. Will see once I know more on the turbos.

Old 10-31-2019, 05:53 PM
I say go for the Xonas! I have a 3.8L built motor as well, and I'm running 68mm VGT's. But my stuff is all new and rebuilt, so I don't have any excuse to tear it back apart and dump more money into it...... But if one of my turbos went south, that would be a perfect excuse! It's tough. I want more power, even though the car is pretty darned fast now. I'm running on 91 pump here on the west coast USA. Maybe my best bet is running e85. Cheaper for sure than Boggs Xona route. But it would be awesome to run on 91 and have that sort of performance the Xonas provide. Good luck to you whatever you decide. Keep us posted.

Old 10-31-2019, 06:00 PM
Thanks! Yeah, I run 93 file for daily driving and track use. It's pretty fast and not much can beat it. E85 is where the fun is. It would be nice to run as fast on pump with the xonas. The car handles the power just fine. I could only imagine the additional pull on E85 at that point. Would have to keep it under control so drivetrain/clutch components can handle it. Will keep you guys updated.

Old 10-31-2019, 06:30 PM
Originally Posted by wcarson
I say go for the Xonas! I have a 3.8L built motor as well, and I'm running 68mm VGT's. But my stuff is all new and rebuilt, so I don't have any excuse to tear it back apart and dump more money into it...... But if one of my turbos went south, that would be a perfect excuse! It's tough. I want more power, even though the car is pretty darned fast now. I'm running on 91 pump here on the west coast USA. Maybe my best bet is running e85. Cheaper for sure than Boggs Xona route. But it would be awesome to run on 91 and have that sort of performance the Xonas provide. Good luck to you whatever you decide. Keep us posted.
If e85 was readily available here I would have kept my vtgs on my stock engine. I know that Bobby Ali gets his own e85 drums and stores them but I just don't want to do that for various reasons. You guys have subsidized e85 so it's totally worth it. I had the 68s on a stock engine and they are really good...with your built engine there's no reason not to run e85 and crank it up!

Fast is all relative. I started with stock, then tune, then 63s, then 68s before Xonas. In my opinion, "really fast" starts around 22-23psi with the Xonas on pumpgas, just beyond what the 68s could do on pumpgas, but they could do it with e85

Old 10-31-2019, 06:45 PM
Good points. My car is plenty fast on E85, sometimes I wish it was just as quick on pump. Primarily though at this point I'm looking for long term reliability and cost effectiveness. The higher in power you go, those goals become less attainable.

Old 10-31-2019, 07:40 PM
Good points. My car is plenty fast on E85, sometimes I wish it was just as quick on pump. Primarily though at this point I'm looking for long term reliability and cost effectiveness. The higher in power you go, those goals become less attainable.
Long term reliability and cost effectiveness are also my goals. Xonas on pump are pretty much equivalent to top vtgs on e85. Vtgs on pumpgas give big tq hit around 4k rpm and the acceleration drops off above 5.5k rpm. Xonas pull hard to redline like I assume vtgs on e85 do

Old 11-01-2019, 07:45 AM
Apparently the latest Xonas have a new hot side which spools up even quicker than mine. Would be perfect for you guys with built engines!
With pumpgas and 1000cc injectors there is stock like driveability and stock fuel pump setup is adequate. This is my dd in 3 seasons so I value reliability over squeezing the last bit of performance out of it...

Old 11-01-2019, 08:25 AM
Steve_TT has a spectacular aura aboutSteve_TT has a spectacular aura about
Hey Sam,

Do you know which Forge BOV Bogg's got? Would TiAL Q50MM be a good alternative?

Would the new XR5757S be the new (upgraded) version of Bogg's turbos?

Do you fabricate the fittings/adapters to connect the Xonas to the stock headers and exhaust location?

Thanks!

Old 11-01-2019, 09:03 AM
turboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant future
Thanks for the insight! Tough decisions I know. I've put a ton of money into this build/car already and part of me hopes I can just rebuild the current ones and move on. The other part I realize is that the VTGs are the choke point in maximizing the build effort. The xonas would probably really compliment the enhancements of the engine. Will see once I know more on the turbos.

How do these turbos fail?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Xonas are on!