997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Xonas are on!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 09:44 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Here's some turbo ****:

The astute amongst you will notice something missing from the turbos...the oil catch cans. Guess what? they don't come with the turbos. Only relevant if you already mailed out your old turbos and they had the catch cans on them. Oy, that one hurt financially.

Old 05-19-2018, 09:52 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by prodigymb
whats the boost do when the boost controller is off? that's how you can check where the gates are set. normally Xona Alphas will be set to 1 or 1.1 bar.

HKS has some offset settings that are tricky to get right. I wouldn't use the TPS modeling function of the HKS and only use the RPM function. First start with setting A and keep it simple raising the boost flat until you reach your desired torque MAX, then switch to setting B and start from value in A. Raising boost with RPM after the TQ peak to keep the HP climbing while holding TQ in check.

You'll have to get comfortable with the HKS because boost control is now on you.
I had expected the gates to be around 1 bar but with the HKS off (i.e. the A B C were not displayed) it still hit 20psi on the pre-throttle body sensor at 4700rpm. The value was a little lower looking at the HKS peak value, which presumably reads the pressure from the plenum itself after the tb.

I guess you are saying that the adjustments should be made on the dyno...otherwise how do you know where tq peak is? With my latest revision the car is fast and smooth. Just want to make sure it's safe too, lol. I'm not planning on pushing it to the bleeding edge...

Old 05-20-2018, 04:50 AM
trbofvr has much to be proud oftrbofvr has much to be proud oftrbofvr has much to be proud oftrbofvr has much to be proud oftrbofvr has much to be proud oftrbofvr has much to be proud oftrbofvr has much to be proud oftrbofvr has much to be proud oftrbofvr has much to be proud of
How soon can you hit 20psi with that HKS in say 3rd or 4th gear? Are you saying 4700rpm? Those turbos look sweeet!

Old 05-20-2018, 06:11 AM
In 3rd gear it hits 20psi at 4350rpm on wastegate pressure. That's the pressure as read by the pre-throttle body sensor. The car ecu "modelled" manifold pressure is a little lower. I believe the HKS actually reads manifold pressure so I will try to log what is happening in the manifold via the HKS software.

In 3rd gear with a 20psi setting on the boost controller it hits 20psi at 4150rpm. I may try and play with the "offset" function on the HKS but if this was my target anyway I may just leave it alone. It flies!

Old 05-20-2018, 06:16 AM
Originally Posted by trbofvr
How soon can you hit 20psi with that HKS in say 3rd or 4th gear? Are you saying 4700rpm? Those turbos look sweeet!
It was 4700rpm on the earlier version of the Cobb map. The later map had a bit more oomph in it.

Old 05-20-2018, 07:37 AM
TT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by trbofvr

Depends how you ramp in the boost and your PH target. On garrett 30's you hit 20 psi (1.4bar) at 47-4800 if the target is 1.4-1.45 ... When targeting 1.9Bar however you see 20 psi at 4200rpm ....

Old 05-20-2018, 08:08 AM
True! When I changed the target to 20psi it hit it sooner. I think 20psi at around 4200rpm is what I was seeing with the 68s and I don't think I'll aim for any higher in this part of the rpm curve as it is near torque peak. As I look at my logs I'm thinking that my wastegate springs are probably 20psi or even higher. The Tial MVI 2.5 wastegates have springs that could be up to 22psi so it certainly could have happened that I got springs other than the 15psi ones.

Old 05-20-2018, 08:11 AM
Correction, I hit 20psi around 3500rpm with the 68s. I don't know if you can directly translate 20psi on 1 turbo with another because the whole intake plumbing has changed so that there may be a higher volume of air with 20psi with the Xona and larger ypipe and tb than with my 68s and stock ypipe and plenum. Lots to learn here.

Old 05-20-2018, 09:20 AM
M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !
Bogg your ecu sensor should read somewhere around -.3psi at idle that's some restriction upstream. I should have been more specific, by vacuum I meant somewhere in the -8 to -9 psi or somewhere in the -18in Hg range. If your hks reads more vacuum than your map sensor then you are reading from the manifold Sounds like you are sorting things out good luck.

Old 05-20-2018, 10:35 AM
You are right...the ecu reads -.3ish to zero. The HKS reads -8 to -10ish at idle similar to the modelled value read by the Cobb.

I still have loads of questions, lol, but things are getting sorted out. I think you'll like where things are going with Xonas. Start the penny jar...

Old 05-26-2018, 04:22 PM
Irishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud of
Bogg,

Did you do any internal work on the motor or are you still just Stock?

Old 05-27-2018, 05:33 AM
Brooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond repute
Can you give a detailed explanation on how your turbos spool I understand that in 1st and second gear lag is very short due to gearing but who does the car feel in 3rd and 4th ...can you mimic the car to drive like N/A..one of my gripes with vtg that I hate is turbo tip in..would you say that the Xanax are better or woarse...thanks for your comments
John

Old 05-27-2018, 07:01 PM
trbofvr has much to be proud oftrbofvr has much to be proud oftrbofvr has much to be proud oftrbofvr has much to be proud oftrbofvr has much to be proud oftrbofvr has much to be proud oftrbofvr has much to be proud oftrbofvr has much to be proud oftrbofvr has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Brooklyn boosting
Can you give a detailed explanation on how your turbos spool I understand that in 1st and second gear lag is very short due to gearing but who does the car feel in 3rd and 4th ...can you mimic the car to drive like N/A..one of my gripes with vtg that I hate is turbo tip in..would you say that the Xanax are better or woarse...thanks for your comments
John
Xanax? Always better

Old 05-27-2018, 07:29 PM
M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !
Might need some at full boost

Old 05-28-2018, 07:05 AM
Brooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond reputeBrooklyn boosting has a reputation beyond repute
Funny that I tried to correct that spell check 3x...seems like Xanax is drug of choice when your pulling a 800 hp car...does anyone know what’s the difference between 3071-3073-3076..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Xonas are on!