997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Change coils when changing spark plugs?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 03:54 PM
CodeBlue911 is on a distinguished road
Change coils when changing spark plugs?

I’m getting my dealer to change my spark plugs for the first time. My 2011 Turbo S has 22,000 miles.
Just doing regular maintainence.

Should I have them change the coils while they’re there? Is it much easier now vs later?

thanks!

Old 05-18-2018, 09:09 AM
Duckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud of
Changing plugs is a major job. Pull the bumper cover,.. remove inter-cooler assemblies,.. remove th cats, remove the turbos (which being water-cooled involves opening the coolant system and re-filling later),.. remove some heat-shields, etc, etc. A great DIY might still mean 6 hours labor. Not sure if having done lots of them and special tools cuts it down to 4 or whatever for a shop.

I had a top indy shop do it and they didn't change one of the coils I bought,.. perhaps not that plug either (front passenger side). (Guess they just kept my 6th new coil?) Found out a year later when I switched plug heat-ranges and had to order a coil. Which added days to the job.

The coil-packs are on the plug,... so they will come off in the process. So changing them would add roughly zero minutes to the job.

On the earlier cars (2006-2009 ish,.. the coils were prone to cracking,.. so the answer to your question would be 1000 % YES.

Not sure at what point the cars got the updated coils right from the factory. Yours may be fine. So you'd want to ask your tech if it's an issue on your year. If in doubt though,......

Old 05-22-2018, 08:06 AM
Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Duckstu
Changing plugs is a major job. Pull the bumper cover,.. remove inter-cooler assemblies,.. remove th cats, remove the turbos (which being water-cooled involves opening the coolant system and re-filling later),.. remove some heat-shields, etc, etc. A great DIY might still mean 6 hours labor. Not sure if having done lots of them and special tools cuts it down to 4 or whatever for a shop.
I had a top indy shop do it and they didn't change one of the coils I bought,.. perhaps not that plug either (front passenger side). (Guess they just kept my 6th new coil?) Found out a year later when I switched plug heat-ranges and had to order a coil. Which added days to the job.

The coil-packs are on the plug,... so they will come off in the process. So changing them would add roughly zero minutes to the job.

On the earlier cars (2006-2009 ish,.. the coils were prone to cracking,.. so the answer to your question would be 1000 % YES.

Not sure at what point the cars got the updated coils right from the factory. Yours may be fine. So you'd want to ask your tech if it's an issue on your year. If in doubt though,......

I'm guessing from the other thread you know why they didn't change that one coil

Old 05-22-2018, 08:12 AM
Duckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Johnny DB
I'm guessing from the other thread you know why they didn't change that one coil

Not really.

There was plenty of space in there. I didn't cut or grind anything when I put it in.

And I did them with the engine in the car. When my indy was doing the job,.. the engine was out for a number of upgrades.

Should have been a piece of cake.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:17 AM
Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Duckstu
Not really.

There was plenty of space in there. I didn't cut or grind anything when I put it in.

And I did them with the engine in the car. When my indy was doing the job,.. the engine was out for a number of upgrades.

Should have been a piece of cake.
Oh wow! So you didn't run into the problem Hans described?