6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   997 Turbo / GT2 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-turbo-gt2-58/)
-   -   Change coils when changing spark plugs? (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-turbo-gt2/420616-change-coils-when-changing-spark-plugs.html)

CodeBlue911 05-17-2018 03:54 PM

Change coils when changing spark plugs?

I’m getting my dealer to change my spark plugs for the first time. My 2011 Turbo S has 22,000 miles.
Just doing regular maintainence.

Should I have them change the coils while they’re there? Is it much easier now vs later?

thanks!

Duckstu 05-18-2018 09:09 AM

Changing plugs is a major job. Pull the bumper cover,.. remove inter-cooler assemblies,.. remove th cats, remove the turbos (which being water-cooled involves opening the coolant system and re-filling later),.. remove some heat-shields, etc, etc. A great DIY might still mean 6 hours labor. Not sure if having done lots of them and special tools cuts it down to 4 or whatever for a shop.

I had a top indy shop do it and they didn't change one of the coils I bought,.. perhaps not that plug either (front passenger side). (Guess they just kept my 6th new coil?) Found out a year later when I switched plug heat-ranges and had to order a coil. Which added days to the job.

The coil-packs are on the plug,... so they will come off in the process. So changing them would add roughly zero minutes to the job.

On the earlier cars (2006-2009 ish,.. the coils were prone to cracking,.. so the answer to your question would be 1000 % YES.

Not sure at what point the cars got the updated coils right from the factory. Yours may be fine. So you'd want to ask your tech if it's an issue on your year. If in doubt though,......

Johnny DB 05-22-2018 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Duckstu (Post 4716379)
Changing plugs is a major job. Pull the bumper cover,.. remove inter-cooler assemblies,.. remove th cats, remove the turbos (which being water-cooled involves opening the coolant system and re-filling later),.. remove some heat-shields, etc, etc. A great DIY might still mean 6 hours labor. Not sure if having done lots of them and special tools cuts it down to 4 or whatever for a shop.
I had a top indy shop do it and they didn't change one of the coils I bought,.. perhaps not that plug either (front passenger side). (Guess they just kept my 6th new coil?) Found out a year later when I switched plug heat-ranges and had to order a coil. Which added days to the job.

The coil-packs are on the plug,... so they will come off in the process. So changing them would add roughly zero minutes to the job.

On the earlier cars (2006-2009 ish,.. the coils were prone to cracking,.. so the answer to your question would be 1000 % YES.

Not sure at what point the cars got the updated coils right from the factory. Yours may be fine. So you'd want to ask your tech if it's an issue on your year. If in doubt though,......

I'm guessing from the other thread you know why they didn't change that one coil ;)

Duckstu 05-22-2018 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Johnny DB (Post 4717231)
I'm guessing from the other thread you know why they didn't change that one coil ;)

Not really.

There was plenty of space in there. I didn't cut or grind anything when I put it in.

And I did them with the engine in the car. When my indy was doing the job,.. the engine was out for a number of upgrades.

Should have been a piece of cake.

Johnny DB 05-22-2018 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Duckstu (Post 4717232)
Not really.

There was plenty of space in there. I didn't cut or grind anything when I put it in.

And I did them with the engine in the car. When my indy was doing the job,.. the engine was out for a number of upgrades.

Should have been a piece of cake.

Oh wow! So you didn't run into the problem Hans described?