997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

AMS Intercoolers Install and Results

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 01:19 PM
08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute
AMS Intercoolers Install and Results

I installed the AMS full intercooler kit in my 997.1 and wanted to share some notes/details and there is not much information out there on the install. It seems that most people are having shops install the intercoolers for them so that may explain why not many have shared information on the specifics of the install

I decided to do the AMS kit as it seemed that just about every option required some "trimming" and modification of the factory plastic housings so I figured I may as go with the biggest and best intercoolers

Also I wanted to share some information on the performance of the intercoolers from an unbiased perspective

First I will state that this is a really great bit of aftermarket gear. Spot on highest quality and design. In the end it is true that you get what you pay for and this is no exception

These intercoolers are so giant there is no margin of error and they fit spot on. The discharge outlet has almost no margin of error as it is almost the same size as the hole in the body which accepts the outlet coupler. Kudos to AMS for making such a well executed product that it just "fit" perfectly

Some install hints in no particular order:

1. You are going to have to trim off some material on the body below the tail lights which is hidden by the bumper. Although this part is not used and you will never see it with the bumper on the car it is an irreversible alteration of the body and thus may not be for every one. Best to use a cut of wheel with a fresh sharp blade and check and recheck the clearance with the intercooler to take off the least amount needed.

2. Leave all the intercooler mount screws / nuts (ones holding the AMS bits to the factory bracket and the factory bracket to the car) all LOOSE so you can jiggle it all around and get the outlet on the intercooler to line up as close to dead center to the hold in the body so you can get the very hard to fit intercooler pipe onto the intercooler. These couplers are a really tight fit and hard to get your hands on so I used a few tricks, I headed the ends in hot water for a few minutes to soften then up and used a lot of soapy water on everything

3. It is very hard to get the Y pipe onto the coupler on the T/B. I removed the airbox and I loosened the couplings on the plenum so I could rotate it all upwards a bit and that gave me a good angle

4. Everything fit really good but I am going to add a bit of foam or something at the top of the intake ducks so seal the airflow a bit more - I noticed the Do88 kit has some form of sealer and I thing that makes sense

5. They do not identify R & L in the limited install instructions which are not that detailed. For future reference the pipe with the longer BOV tube (not used with stock turbos - gets a plug) goes on the passenger side - the one with the shorter BOV tube goes on the drivers side. The ducts go with the "Alpha" facing outwards - this way you can't get them confused

6. I found this to be a relatively hard install just due to the massive size of the new intercoolers and also the way you have the wiggle and align them into just the right spot to get the outlets to line up exactly into the center of the body holes. No margin for error a lot of wiggle and finesses.

Performance

The previous reviews that I have read are spot on these intercoolers are amazing

On 2 - 3rd gear pulls on the highway my AIT temps actually dropped as I picked up speed from 88 down to 83 by the time I hit 106 mph. This is on a 77 degree day. On the stock intercoolers I would see AIT temps in the 130 - to high 130 range on the same pull with temps raising 20 - 30 degrees during this kind of pull

So the intercoolers really work

Only draw backs are that driving slowly around town they seem to not cool as well due to reduced air flow the air temps are around 90 to 95 when I am in stop and go traffic or driving slowly 20 - 30 mph it does not get enough air flow to get the AIT temps down close to ambient

However anything over 50 mph it seems that the trend is a rapid cooling towards a few degrees higher than ambient no matter how hard you drive the car

Basically - without any tuning to compensate there is a significant difference in performance as it seems that you get that cold, crisp "turbo day" effect even on a hot summer day

It is clear from my data logs that the stock intercoolers are horrible and result in crazy high AIT's and unstable air which results in tendency towards detonation and with such thin air no power

One thing to note - I feel a noticeable uptick in lag in 2nd gear when getting on the car the turbos take longer to reach full boost because of all the additional air space to fill between the giant intercoolers and the larger pipes

In 3rd and 4th gear the lag or delay in response is not as noticeable and there is no significant delay in boost between gears

Overall

I am very impressed with the AMS intercoolers - great performance and great design and quality

I am now weighing if I will do a custom tune now or wait and install some larger turbos and then do a tune

Nicely done carbon Y pipe does not soak any heat and fits snug - much larger than stock pipe

Tight squeeze - very snug here - hard to get the coupler to fit over the interooler barb in this tight space

Trimming needed to fit under tail light

Last edited by 08957; 06-10-2018 at 07:01 PM.
Old 06-10-2018, 01:33 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Nice write up. The same piece of metal has to be trimmed for the DO88 big pack cooler install - my shop did a nice job of repainting the area so it didn't look butchered. Same thing about the lack of labelling on the parts to show which sleeve goes on drivers vs passenger side. Not that hard to figure out but would have been nice to have it simply labelled. The only issue I still have is that my shop suggested leaving the shocks off the trunk lid because they were pressing on the ypipe assembly when the decklid was closed. So far no hoses have popped off. I assume there is an AMS specific ypipe?

Old 06-10-2018, 01:35 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
I would wait for the bigger turbos before doing a custom tune...unless you get free tune adjustments when parts are changed.

Old 06-10-2018, 07:07 PM
M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !
I have this same kit and it works great as you stated. I think tuning will help with the spool up. As you also stated you gained a lot in volume and that is a big **** for transient response. On my 63.5vtgs and my stock ones I'm around 22.5psi by 3400rpm. Not sure if you have any logs to compare but gives you an idea.

Old 06-10-2018, 07:19 PM
08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by The Bogg
Nice write up. The same piece of metal has to be trimmed for the DO88 big pack cooler install - my shop did a nice job of repainting the area so it didn't look butchered. Same thing about the lack of labelling on the parts to show which sleeve goes on drivers vs passenger side. Not that hard to figure out but would have been nice to have it simply labelled. The only issue I still have is that my shop suggested leaving the shocks off the trunk lid because they were pressing on the ypipe assembly when the decklid was closed. So far no hoses have popped off. I assume there is an AMS specific ypipe?
In this case there is no problem with closing the hood or any issues with the shocks on the hood.

I was reading your thread it could be that your problem is related to your larger TB and plenum but it could also be because the Do88 kit is just not fitting right

Have you tried to cut down the length of the factory coupler that goes between the TB and the Y pipe by a few MM to make it a bit shorter and see if that gives you the clearance you need? (I am not sure how far off your pipe is - there is not much room to be off as things are very tight in that area)

I agree with you that more detailed instructions would be great with these kits to make it easier the first time you are installing

I have found the "rock's" write ups to be about the best wish everyone could follow that format

Old 06-10-2018, 07:27 PM
Originally Posted by M3 Maestro
I have this same kit and it works great as you stated. I think tuning will help with the spool up. As you also stated you gained a lot in volume and that is a big **** for transient response. On my 63.5vtgs and my stock ones I'm around 22.5psi by 3400rpm. Not sure if you have any logs to compare but gives you an idea.
The trade off of a slight increase in turbo response time is well worth the huge gains in power due to much more dense air and the greater stability of the combustion process because the AIT temps are reduced from insanely hot levels which leave the car on the edge of detonation

My butt dyno is telling me that without any tuning at all I am up at least 30 - 40 whp and it has made a huge difference in the car

The biggest improvement is in the high rpm range as with the stock intercoolers by the time you reach the top of third of 4th gear you are on super hot air mode and I think that in combination with the very small size of the turbos is what makes the car fall down so hard on the top end

Now with the charge temps NO longer raising higher at the top of 3rd and 4th the car is pulling a lot harder and making a lot more power in that area of the power band

It is a shame that I did not so a before and after dyno sheet to chart the difference

I can tell you that this modification really transforms the car and is worth every penny of the cost

It is certainly the case that the intercoolers are one of the weakest links in the 997 Turbo

Old 06-10-2018, 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by 08957
In this case there is no problem with closing the hood or any issues with the shocks on the hood.

I was reading your thread it could be that your problem is related to your larger TB and plenum but it could also be because the Do88 kit is just not fitting right

Have you tried to cut down the length of the factory coupler that goes between the TB and the Y pipe by a few MM to make it a bit shorter and see if that gives you the clearance you need? (I am not sure how far off your pipe is - there is not much room to be off as things are very tight in that area)

I agree with you that more detailed instructions would be great with these kits to make it easier the first time you are installing

I have found the "rock's" write ups to be about the best wish everyone could follow that format
I agree, could be the larger TB and plenum. Doesn't use the stock coupler, comes with a nice one with different size ends. I haven't tried fidgeting at all, just glad that the hoses don't pop off like some guys have experienced...

Old 06-10-2018, 07:50 PM
Originally Posted by The Bogg
I agree, could be the larger TB and plenum. Doesn't use the stock coupler, comes with a nice one with different size ends. I haven't tried fidgeting at all, just glad that the hoses don't pop off like some guys have experienced...
Sometimes it is better to leave it alone . . . something like if ain't broke don't fix it - you don't need to have problems with hoses coming off

As far as the AMS kit is concerned there is NO WAY that the hoses are going to come off the intercoolers or the Y pipe inlet they have really nice barbs and they fit snug - I am sure they could take 45 psi

The weakness if any is the Y pipe to the stock TB coupler - here the attachment is not quite as secure and the lip is not as big. The clamp is rather thin and I am concerned about how tightly you can clamp down a carbon tube without danger from crushing it

if you note the stock unit has a metal insert where the clamping force goes

I am only at 18 psi peak thus car and have not had any problems

I am waiting to run out this tank of gas before I try and run the race gas map and see if anything pops off with more boost

Old 06-10-2018, 09:43 PM
y996t will become famous soon enoughy996t will become famous soon enough
I have install the ams cooler kit also with 82 mm Plenum and throttlebody and it does not hit Decklid it’s ok

Old 06-10-2018, 10:43 PM
Originally Posted by y996t
I have install the ams cooler kit also with 82 mm Plenum and throttlebody and it does not hit Decklid it’s ok
Did you do the 82mm TB before or afterwards ? Did you notice much improvement from the 82 mm TB?

I am thinking that with all the huge airflow of the AMS intercooler and Y pipe that the TB will free up a lot more airflow than on a stock car - (just a theory at this point)

Old 06-11-2018, 11:02 AM
I did it all together and what I notice is that the car Hold full boost know before It was struggle to build full boost and makes boost faster with the stock turbo is no tune in the car and I have catless 3” exhaust full too with bmc filter which was on the car before I did the coolers and 82mm Plenum and throttlebody

Old 06-11-2018, 11:22 AM
I did it all together and what I notice is that the car Hold full boost know before It was struggle to build full boost and makes boost faster with the stock turbo is no tune in the car and I have catless 3” exhaust full too with bmc filter which was on the car before I did the coolers and 82mm Plenum and throttlebody
It is interesting that your car is holding more boost with the mods and without a tune as my understanding is that it is a closed loop boost system and the stock map has a significant boost taper in the boost target maps

Old 06-11-2018, 12:10 PM
I was never getting 14, and know I do with easy

Old 06-11-2018, 12:12 PM
I was never getting 14, and know I do with easy
You could have had a boost leak somewhere

I notice no difference in boost target what so ever

Only difference is that at the same boost level I am flowing more air and more dense air hence more fuel can burn and more power

Cold dense air makes more power than thin hot air

Old 06-12-2018, 07:46 AM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
should run the same boost before and after mods with stock tune.

new carbon Y pipe is nice - it used to be aluminum.

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: AMS Intercoolers Install and Results