997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Race Season Planning - Brakes, Driveshafts & Suspension

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 01:29 PM
Tareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant future
Race Season Planning - Brakes, Driveshafts & Suspension

My car is hopefully nearing completion so I decided to start planning for the next race season as this year was a total flop for me.

I am Looking for advice on Brakes, Driveshafts/Axels and suspension upgrades for my car. Car will mainly be used on the street with the occasional visit to roll racing and drag racing events.

- What is the limit for the stock brakes? Is it OK to run them over 1000whp?
- For those that dont run stock brakes what is your setup? And feedback on your setup.
- Is there any benefit to changing the brake lines?
- Does anyone have any feedback on the DSS axels? And is there any other companies who make upgraded axels for the 997TTs?
- Car is currently on lowering springs, I am planning on adding the GT2 sway bars and DSC module, are there any other mods that can make the car feel more planted or is this enough?

Appreciate everyones feedback as always, looking forward to learn what you guys are running.

Last edited by Tareq; 06-18-2018 at 01:36 PM.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:11 AM
Dguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of light
First thing I learned for track days is upgrade the brake pads. I'm running about 700whp with mine and completely boiled through the stock brakes. For my track days, I swap out PFC compound 8 pads. They maybe pricey but never have to worry about slowing down, especially with higher horsepower builds. Currently looking at better tires as well. For street driving, I swap back to hawk hps pads. The PFC pads are extremely noisy when they heat up.

Old 06-19-2018, 09:33 AM
997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !
if you're not doing tracks with turns, and just roll racing and drag racing, you don't need to go crazy with the brakes. A good Pagid yellow or similar + better brake fluid + stainless steel brake lines are worth it. I don't have 1,000whp experience though. An alignment will make a big difference with how planted the car feels at heavy speeds and braking from them too

Old 06-19-2018, 05:28 PM
512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of
3 rules for going fast:

1) Make it stop
2) Make it safe
3) Make it fast

The brakes are great, but they will fade and they will hit their limits. First and foremost, if you are just doing drag racing change the pads and the brake fluid (stock fluid will boil far easier than race fluid but requires more frequent fluid flushes). My recommendation is to go to a big brake kit. I went to Brembo GT-Racing brakes, which if memory serves me right are 15.4" front and 15" rear.

Old 06-21-2018, 12:37 AM
Tareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Dguth
First thing I learned for track days is upgrade the brake pads. I'm running about 700whp with mine and completely boiled through the stock brakes. For my track days, I swap out PFC compound 8 pads. They maybe pricey but never have to worry about slowing down, especially with higher horsepower builds. Currently looking at better tires as well. For street driving, I swap back to hawk hps pads. The PFC pads are extremely noisy when they heat up.
Originally Posted by Roffle Waffle
if you're not doing tracks with turns, and just roll racing and drag racing, you don't need to go crazy with the brakes. A good Pagid yellow or similar + better brake fluid + stainless steel brake lines are worth it. I don't have 1,000whp experience though. An alignment will make a big difference with how planted the car feels at heavy speeds and braking from them too
Originally Posted by 512bb
3 rules for going fast:

1) Make it stop
2) Make it safe
3) Make it fast

The brakes are great, but they will fade and they will hit their limits. First and foremost, if you are just doing drag racing change the pads and the brake fluid (stock fluid will boil far easier than race fluid but requires more frequent fluid flushes). My recommendation is to go to a big brake kit. I went to Brembo GT-Racing brakes, which if memory serves me right are 15.4" front and 15" rear.
Thank you all for the input, regarding the brakes I will change to a better fluid, either change to SS lines or just new OEM lines. I will put on OEM discs and buy a set of PFC pads along with OEM and see how it goes.

Will also get GT2 sway bars and the DSC module then have the car properly aligned and balanced.

Old 06-24-2018, 11:40 AM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
I would not use PFC pads for drag or roll racing. PFC pads are road course pads which take roughly a good 2 minute warm up lap to get them up to their optimal operation temperature. In other words, they are relatively lousy when cold and certainly will not be up to temperature with one or two stops. Unless you are doing repeated hard stop from high speed for extended periods, PFC is the wrong pad. The factory pads are designed by Porsche to stop the car effectively from their 170+mph speeds so I would not overthink it as you may by going backwards in the process.

Old 06-24-2018, 07:43 PM
Dguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of light
Good guidance on the PFC pads. I only use mine for track days. I do Mid OH which has a lot of turns, so these pads are awesome when you need that initial bite time after time. As soon as track day is done I switch back to street pads.