Go Back  6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource > Porsche (Present) > 997 Turbo / GT2
Reload this Page >

Custom tuning w/ By Design - lots of power - need new clutch

Notices
997 Turbo / GT2 20062012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.

Custom tuning w/ By Design - lots of power - need new clutch

Old 08-28-2018, 07:04 AM
turboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant future
sounds like soon enough we are going to need some key man insurance on Sam!

Old 08-28-2018, 09:14 AM
Basic Sponsor
SamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond repute
Lol or just double down!
It’s a pleasure working with and making new friends with all of you guys! I am really enjoying applying all of the fruits of our labor and surprising many people with what we can do on a VTG car. Also some really exciting stuff going on with the XR TiAL cars!

Proud TOP Porsche Distributor For:

Kline-Innovation - ams Performance - TiALSPORT/XONA - #1 COBB PRO TUNER - SRM - IPD Plenums - SACHS - dodsonmotorsport

Dedicated Customer Service Since 1998. - 310.600.1850 [email protected]
Old 08-28-2018, 05:07 PM
echerbst has a reputation beyond reputeecherbst has a reputation beyond reputeecherbst has a reputation beyond reputeecherbst has a reputation beyond reputeecherbst has a reputation beyond reputeecherbst has a reputation beyond reputeecherbst has a reputation beyond reputeecherbst has a reputation beyond reputeecherbst has a reputation beyond reputeecherbst has a reputation beyond reputeecherbst has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Car is looking great 08 and set up doing well!

Hey 86 Im on yours this morning. Cant wait till you feel the E85 tune! About 20 or 30 of the cars I have done with your exact set up to do the same and go all the way up through redline. We try to hang tight right around 750 peak and though at our higher level keep things in our comfort zone. I know Eric will want more haha!

I always want more. LOL

Old 08-28-2018, 07:01 PM
The Bogg has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bogg has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bogg has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bogg has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bogg has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bogg has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bogg has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bogg has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bogg has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bogg has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bogg has a reputation beyond repute
Smile

Originally Posted by 86merc View Post
I have a few AWD dynos around here that I can use. So I will get something eventually for sure. Hopefully graphs for both 93 and e85. I have the Klein 3" to 2.5" exhaust on my car. So as discussed, that may or may not hold me back some. lol
Even if you can get Sam to do the "virtual dyno" plots it would be good to compare on pumpgas.

Old 09-07-2018, 09:10 PM
08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute
That is awesome. The car has to move out!

If you don't mind, what kind of manifold pressure is that at? I just got my car back up and running with the 68mm units from By Design. On the base 93 octane tune, it pulls very strong. At your power levels has to be a rocket ship.
It peaks right at 22 psi - the latest dyno sheet had the boost being pulled back a bit on top to try and gather control - since then the boost was brought back up so that its a flat power band to red line

I have 305 Pilot Sport tires and it has started to cool down a bit here - with this tune and turning off traction control the rear tires totally blow off traction in 2nd gear - it is really exciting to drive

With traction control turned on in 1st and 2nd gear I am loosing power due to tire slippage when going straight and in 3rd gear also it will spin the tires if I am not 100% dead straight

Basically, I have reached the point where I need the down force from the wing onto the rear tires to get the traction down well so after 80 mph it feels more confident

This is not like a Subaru or an Evo - the AWD system in this car is limited in how much total power it will transfer to the front tires and after that the rest is going to the rear tires and it starts to behave more and more like a RWD car and less like an AWD when you go over 700 whp

Lots of fun but have to really pay attention - speaking as a guy who started driving in a '66 Chevy Corvair turbo I know what a rear engine car feels like when you get out of the gas while you are spinning out of control in the middle of a turn

Old 09-07-2018, 09:13 PM
08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Mitchy View Post
Also a 68mm By-Design user here!

Just trying to gauge where I'm at in my Tuning.
What Boost, MAF g/s and Ignition advance are you running?
I'm not on E85, but my Meth and MS109 should make up for it slightly.

I've been stunted on getting my tunes nailed out, Between Travelling and rain, it's been a hard year of trying to get some good datalogs!
Feel free to discuss this information with Sam directly I do not wish to disclose his tuning approach on line unless he cares to do so himself

All I can say is thus far the car has been very fast and very reliable

A few minor bugs to sort out but I honestly just have not had time to run the car that much this summer due to boating season and work

Old 09-07-2018, 09:16 PM
I have a few AWD dynos around here that I can use. So I will get something eventually for sure. Hopefully graphs for both 93 and e85. I have the Klein 3" to 2.5" exhaust on my car. So as discussed, that may or may not hold me back some. lol
From my years of experience tuning turbo cars I prefer to watch what the car does on the street more than what it does on a dyno

A dyno will never replicate the effect of the air flow over the car nor provide the proper amount of cooling air through the radiators and intercoolers - not unless it is inside a wind tunnel with 100 mph wind

With the new data logging apps and virtual dyno I personally prefer those applications as they measure the car as it is used in real world driving conditions

Old 09-07-2018, 09:48 PM
Dguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by 08957
It peaks right at 22 psi - the latest dyno sheet had the boost being pulled back a bit on top to try and gather control - since then the boost was brought back up so that its a flat power band to red line

I have 305 Pilot Sport tires and it has started to cool down a bit here - with this tune and turning off traction control the rear tires totally blow off traction in 2nd gear - it is really exciting to drive

With traction control turned on in 1st and 2nd gear I am loosing power due to tire slippage when going straight and in 3rd gear also it will spin the tires if I am not 100% dead straight

Basically, I have reached the point where I need the down force from the wing onto the rear tires to get the traction down well so after 80 mph it feels more confident

This is not like a Subaru or an Evo - the AWD system in this car is limited in how much total power it will transfer to the front tires and after that the rest is going to the rear tires and it starts to behave more and more like a RWD car and less like an AWD when you go over 700 whp

Lots of fun but have to really pay attention - speaking as a guy who started driving in a '66 Chevy Corvair turbo I know what a rear engine car feels like when you get out of the gas while you are spinning out of control in the middle of a turn
Very true comment here. Once you get over 700+ horsepower, I could swear my AWD system wasn't even working on the track. I even had my mechanic double check the front wheels to make they were even turning. On the track, the turbo at that horsepower definitely behaves like a RWD race car. I did Mid Ohio in the rain and feared for my life the entire time.

Old 09-07-2018, 10:22 PM
Basic Sponsor
SamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond reputeSamboTT@ByDesign has a reputation beyond repute
Wow So many By Design Stage 4’s and more in place! There’s like five sets of Cores out in this thread

Maestro you are my turbo hero. you guys are killing my turbo hero. Guess what’s fresh out of the oven by the way?!

Bobby...RESIST lol

Turboslut any day now right?

Mitchy I’ll gladly go over some details and comparisons with you after the next log session! Don’t sweat your schedule we will make it work whenever you can.

Asher your car is really running so great on CAN 94!

86 Merc wait till the corn comes.

Eric shut up and bolt up those 68’s and send those cores back haha. Then you may never look at another 991 again!

08 so glad to hear it bud! Traction we can improve on for sure. Miss our conversations and looking forward to the next one. Hope all is well.

Daniel hey! That fear keeps your heart pumping and at the same time keeps the car on all four! Enjoy it bud. Looks like she’s taking track days like a champ!

Have an amazing weekend everyone! Thank you for an awesome thread 08, ready for you anytime you’re ready!

Kline-Innovation - ams Performance - TiALSPORT/XONA - #1 COBB PRO TUNER - SRM - IPD Plenums - SACHS - dodsonmotorsport

Last edited by [email protected]; 09-07-2018 at 10:31 PM.
Old 09-09-2018, 07:17 PM
turboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant future
I'm still waiting, my restriction of only having the gold tech work on my car is kind of slowing things down. Patience is a virtue.

Send me the shipping label for the cores, I'll go pick them up tomorrow and have them out by Tuesday.

Old 09-10-2018, 07:35 AM
Roffle Waffle has a reputation beyond reputeRoffle Waffle has a reputation beyond reputeRoffle Waffle has a reputation beyond reputeRoffle Waffle has a reputation beyond reputeRoffle Waffle has a reputation beyond reputeRoffle Waffle has a reputation beyond reputeRoffle Waffle has a reputation beyond reputeRoffle Waffle has a reputation beyond reputeRoffle Waffle has a reputation beyond reputeRoffle Waffle has a reputation beyond reputeRoffle Waffle has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 08957 View Post

you running with sport mode on or off? Sport mode OFF drives more power to the front and gives me better traction

Old 03-05-2019, 06:27 PM
Hello everyone - SPRING is finally here and I am excited to do some more fine tuning on my E85 set up with my new EP2 set up with Sam @ By Design

I wanted to give a moment to say thanks to Sam @ By Design for doing such a wonderful job on my car tuning thus far and also as always to Stef @ europipe for making the world's best exhaust

I was so excited about spring that I have gone a bit over board - first I made a video compilation of my project to date as a benchmark for this year's progress

Secondly - LOL - I guess I got really excited as I went out and bought a sister car - another silver / black Porsche Turbo - this one a 991 Turbo S - I can not stand the thought of putting too many miles on my very low mile 997 Turbo so I decided to but a 991 Turbo S so I could use it as an all weather / daily driver / transportation machine - the moment I got into the car I was using the launch control and defying the speed limit - a really easy car to drive (maybe tooo easy to drive to be a true sports car - does all of its driver's aides take away from the genuine sports car vibe and make this car more like an appliance?) Needless to say the 991 can certainly kick some *** in a drag race but my 997 will whoop its *** after 70 mph on the highway

Maybe when the snow melts and the roads warm up I will make a comparison video between the two machines and also it would be interesting to do the same By Design Stage 4 to the 991 - It would really be a fast car in the 1/4 mile that is for sure

Old 03-05-2019, 07:44 PM
Basic Sponsor
Hey buddy my pleasure. Love your enthusiasm and I’m really excited about your new car! We are very proud to have the fastest, most powerful and proven VTG set ups in the world in the By Design Stage 4 configuration. Our 991TT set up holds all records stock engine and built. In fact act it’s the fastest stock engine Porsche! Huge thanks to this whole community and guys like yourself. I’ve never really thought about it but you might be the first guy to have both ha ha!

Old 03-05-2019, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Hey buddy my pleasure. Love your enthusiasm and I’m really excited about your new car! We are very proud to have the fastest, most powerful and proven VTG set ups in the world in the By Design Stage 4 configuration. Our 991TT set up holds all records stock engine and built. In fact act it’s the fastest stock engine Porsche! Huge thanks to this whole community and guys like yourself. I’ve never really thought about it but you might be the first guy to have both ha ha!
As you know Sam - I have already been there done that with having the fastest, badest, most powerful car in a couple of different platforms in the past
With my Porsche I just want to have a true super car experience on the street with total reliability and dependability and you have delivered that to me

While I have been stubborn in my insistence in retaining the high flow cats which may possibly begin to impede the power delivery on E85 when making 750 whp - I sincerely want to remain true to the original conception of the Porsche Design to have a Porsche Turbo that puts out air that is cleaner than the air going in in many congested cities while providing amazing performance. I am totally done with cars that stink up your clothes and smell bad when you have the windows down - been there - done that.

The reality is that there are only a handful of cars on the road that can keep up with my 997 once it is rolling more than 30 mph and after 100 mph the list gets a lot smaller - when you combine the all weather performance and practicality and functionality the 997 Turbo by Design Stage 4 makes a true world class super car beating machine on a real budget

I am very excited to take to the track this year and make some videos of the 1/4 mile and 1/2 mile to demonstrate what the machine can do

As for the 991 - - only a 997 owner would understand why the 991 Turbo S seems like a giant luxury limo filled with plush options and creature comforts. It is huge inside compared to the 997 and it has so much technology it practically drives itself. Perhaps the 997 6 speed was the last of the true sports car turbos and the 991 Turbo S was the first of the ideal luxury GT gentleman's transport with a batman mode. While the cars look the same - have the same basic configuration - they could not be more different in their characteristics from a driving perspective. No doubt the 991 with a by Design Stage 4 would beat any 997 Turbo around any track - but I would hazard to say that the 997 Turbo driver would perhaps have more fun and more of a challenge getting around the same track - if only a few seconds slower

Before I considered the 991 Turbo S - I was looking into the 2019 M5 and was trading in my 2015 AMG E63S - In the end - I decided I no longer needed 4 doors and that the Turbo S had all the luxury and comfort of the BMW - only perhaps a little less easy to get in and out of - and certainly a bit faster and better handling - what really made my decision was the reality that BMW's will continue to depreciate for many years with Porsche Turbos seem to level off after they reach a certain point and then will hold their value fairly well. The more advanced tech of the BMW was appealing to me but in the end I guess I have become a Porsche man

Last edited by 08957; 03-05-2019 at 08:49 PM.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:16 PM
Basic Sponsor
Amen to that bud. You have a great set up and a great exhaust you love! Same kit can break records or run daily for many miles.

Yes I call the stock 991 TTS a 2door Panamera haha. Whenever you are ready!

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Custom tuning w/ By Design - lots of power - need new clutch

Join 6SpeedOnline
Visit our Sponsors

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.