997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Custom tuning w/ By Design - lots of power - need new clutch

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 07:06 PM
Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !
755WHP!

Very nice!!

Old 08-27-2018, 07:30 AM
86merc is a splendid one to behold86merc is a splendid one to behold86merc is a splendid one to behold86merc is a splendid one to behold86merc is a splendid one to behold86merc is a splendid one to behold86merc is a splendid one to behold
That is awesome. The car has to move out!

If you don't mind, what kind of manifold pressure is that at? I just got my car back up and running with the 68mm units from By Design. On the base 93 octane tune, it pulls very strong. At your power levels has to be a rocket ship.

Old 08-27-2018, 08:33 AM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 86merc

If you don't mind, what kind of manifold pressure is that at? I just got my car back up and running with the 68mm units from By Design. On the base 93 octane tune, it pulls very strong. At your power levels has to be a rocket ship.
Hopefully you can post a pumpgas dyno graph after Sam has tweaked your tune.

Old 08-27-2018, 08:55 AM
86merc is a splendid one to behold86merc is a splendid one to behold86merc is a splendid one to behold86merc is a splendid one to behold86merc is a splendid one to behold86merc is a splendid one to behold86merc is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by The Bogg
Hopefully you can post a pumpgas dyno graph after Sam has tweaked your tune.
I have a few AWD dynos around here that I can use. So I will get something eventually for sure. Hopefully graphs for both 93 and e85. I have the Klein 3" to 2.5" exhaust on my car. So as discussed, that may or may not hold me back some. lol

Old 08-27-2018, 05:48 PM
Mitchy is a glorious beacon of lightMitchy is a glorious beacon of lightMitchy is a glorious beacon of lightMitchy is a glorious beacon of lightMitchy is a glorious beacon of light
Also a 68mm By-Design user here!

Just trying to gauge where I'm at in my Tuning.
What Boost, MAF g/s and Ignition advance are you running?
I'm not on E85, but my Meth and MS109 should make up for it slightly.

I've been stunted on getting my tunes nailed out, Between Travelling and rain, it's been a hard year of trying to get some good datalogs!

Old 08-28-2018, 07:04 AM
turboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant future
sounds like soon enough we are going to need some key man insurance on Sam!

Old 08-28-2018, 05:07 PM
echerbst has a reputation beyond reputeecherbst has a reputation beyond reputeecherbst has a reputation beyond reputeecherbst has a reputation beyond reputeecherbst has a reputation beyond reputeecherbst has a reputation beyond reputeecherbst has a reputation beyond reputeecherbst has a reputation beyond reputeecherbst has a reputation beyond reputeecherbst has a reputation beyond reputeecherbst has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
Car is looking great 08 and set up doing well!

Hey 86 I’m on yours this morning. Cant wait till you feel the E85 tune! About 20 or 30 of the cars I have done with your exact set up to do the same and go all the way up through redline. We try to hang tight right around 750 peak and though at our higher level keep things in our comfort zone. I know Eric will want more haha!

I always want more. LOL

Old 08-28-2018, 07:01 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Smile

I have a few AWD dynos around here that I can use. So I will get something eventually for sure. Hopefully graphs for both 93 and e85. I have the Klein 3" to 2.5" exhaust on my car. So as discussed, that may or may not hold me back some. lol
Even if you can get Sam to do the "virtual dyno" plots it would be good to compare on pumpgas.

Old 09-07-2018, 09:10 PM
08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute

It peaks right at 22 psi - the latest dyno sheet had the boost being pulled back a bit on top to try and gather control - since then the boost was brought back up so that its a flat power band to red line

I have 305 Pilot Sport tires and it has started to cool down a bit here - with this tune and turning off traction control the rear tires totally blow off traction in 2nd gear - it is really exciting to drive

With traction control turned on in 1st and 2nd gear I am loosing power due to tire slippage when going straight and in 3rd gear also it will spin the tires if I am not 100% dead straight

Basically, I have reached the point where I need the down force from the wing onto the rear tires to get the traction down well so after 80 mph it feels more confident

This is not like a Subaru or an Evo - the AWD system in this car is limited in how much total power it will transfer to the front tires and after that the rest is going to the rear tires and it starts to behave more and more like a RWD car and less like an AWD when you go over 700 whp

Lots of fun but have to really pay attention - speaking as a guy who started driving in a '66 Chevy Corvair turbo I know what a rear engine car feels like when you get out of the gas while you are spinning out of control in the middle of a turn

Old 09-07-2018, 09:13 PM
08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Mitchy
Also a 68mm By-Design user here!

Just trying to gauge where I'm at in my Tuning.
What Boost, MAF g/s and Ignition advance are you running?
I'm not on E85, but my Meth and MS109 should make up for it slightly.

I've been stunted on getting my tunes nailed out, Between Travelling and rain, it's been a hard year of trying to get some good datalogs!
Feel free to discuss this information with Sam directly I do not wish to disclose his tuning approach on line unless he cares to do so himself

All I can say is thus far the car has been very fast and very reliable

A few minor bugs to sort out but I honestly just have not had time to run the car that much this summer due to boating season and work

Old 09-07-2018, 09:16 PM
From my years of experience tuning turbo cars I prefer to watch what the car does on the street more than what it does on a dyno

A dyno will never replicate the effect of the air flow over the car nor provide the proper amount of cooling air through the radiators and intercoolers - not unless it is inside a wind tunnel with 100 mph wind

With the new data logging apps and virtual dyno I personally prefer those applications as they measure the car as it is used in real world driving conditions

Old 09-07-2018, 09:48 PM
Dguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of lightDguth is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by 08957
It peaks right at 22 psi - the latest dyno sheet had the boost being pulled back a bit on top to try and gather control - since then the boost was brought back up so that its a flat power band to red line

I have 305 Pilot Sport tires and it has started to cool down a bit here - with this tune and turning off traction control the rear tires totally blow off traction in 2nd gear - it is really exciting to drive

With traction control turned on in 1st and 2nd gear I am loosing power due to tire slippage when going straight and in 3rd gear also it will spin the tires if I am not 100% dead straight

Basically, I have reached the point where I need the down force from the wing onto the rear tires to get the traction down well so after 80 mph it feels more confident

This is not like a Subaru or an Evo - the AWD system in this car is limited in how much total power it will transfer to the front tires and after that the rest is going to the rear tires and it starts to behave more and more like a RWD car and less like an AWD when you go over 700 whp

Lots of fun but have to really pay attention - speaking as a guy who started driving in a '66 Chevy Corvair turbo I know what a rear engine car feels like when you get out of the gas while you are spinning out of control in the middle of a turn
Very true comment here. Once you get over 700+ horsepower, I could swear my AWD system wasn't even working on the track. I even had my mechanic double check the front wheels to make they were even turning. On the track, the turbo at that horsepower definitely behaves like a RWD race car. I did Mid Ohio in the rain and feared for my life the entire time.

Old 09-09-2018, 07:17 PM
turboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant future
I'm still waiting, my restriction of only having the gold tech work on my car is kind of slowing things down. Patience is a virtue.

Send me the shipping label for the cores, I'll go pick them up tomorrow and have them out by Tuesday.

Old 09-10-2018, 07:35 AM
997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 08957

you running with sport mode on or off? Sport mode OFF drives more power to the front and gives me better traction

Old 03-05-2019, 06:27 PM
Hello everyone - SPRING is finally here and I am excited to do some more fine tuning on my E85 set up with my new EP2 set up with Sam @ By Design

I wanted to give a moment to say thanks to Sam @ By Design for doing such a wonderful job on my car tuning thus far and also as always to Stef @ europipe for making the world's best exhaust

I was so excited about spring that I have gone a bit over board - first I made a video compilation of my project to date as a benchmark for this year's progress

Secondly - LOL - I guess I got really excited as I went out and bought a sister car - another silver / black Porsche Turbo - this one a 991 Turbo S - I can not stand the thought of putting too many miles on my very low mile 997 Turbo so I decided to but a 991 Turbo S so I could use it as an all weather / daily driver / transportation machine - the moment I got into the car I was using the launch control and defying the speed limit - a really easy car to drive (maybe tooo easy to drive to be a true sports car - does all of its driver's aides take away from the genuine sports car vibe and make this car more like an appliance?) Needless to say the 991 can certainly kick some *** in a drag race but my 997 will whoop its *** after 70 mph on the highway

Maybe when the snow melts and the roads warm up I will make a comparison video between the two machines and also it would be interesting to do the same By Design Stage 4 to the 991 - It would really be a fast car in the 1/4 mile that is for sure

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Custom tuning w/ By Design - lots of power - need new clutch