997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

PDK Relearn (Cobb AP) vs. Porsche Dealer "Relearn"

Old 08-21-2018, 08:39 PM
Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !
PDK Relearn (Cobb AP) vs. Porsche Dealer "Relearn"

I'm going to try to get ahead of the game on my car even though it only has 33K miles on it ( 2012 997.2 TTS) and have schedule to have my PDK serviced tmrw. morning. I mentioned to the service advisor that I'd like to have them do the "Relearn" on it. We spoke and I asked him if the Porsche Dealer "Relearn" is the same as what the COBB AP "relearn" does, and he wasn't able to answer it. He said he'd get more info in the morning.

So my question is for you fine folks and professionals is, Do I need to ask for something specific to have a recalibration done to my PDK that's the same as what the COBB does??

The advisor did say that they normally delete the "Memory" of the PDK where it's learned the driving behavior of the previous owners. I get that part, as many vehicles are like that. But will that do the clutches recalibration like the COBB AP does?

Or am I simply over thinking all of this? I just want my car to be and perform the best it can and be as reliable as it can from this point forward. Also (as recommended by COBB) to have the PDK serviced prior to doing any "Tuning" or adding the Cobb PDK Tune. I'm still on the fence about tuning, since I'm considering a warranty also.

Thanks in advance,

David

Old 08-22-2018, 08:17 AM
Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !
I’m here now. Anyone have a clue??

Old 08-22-2018, 08:39 AM
Tareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant future
I am not familiar with the Cobb APP, but I know when I received my upgraded rebuilt Tiptronic and TCU the car would hesitate and shift rough, After I did the relearning through the PIWIS car was fine.

I would think the dealer relearning process would suffice.

Note: I also heard that disconnecting the battery for 10mins or so allows the gearbox to reset the driving behavior as-well, I don't have any solid data to back this claim though.

Goodluck

Old 08-22-2018, 10:17 AM
Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
Hi Dave. It's the same procedure. There is a short and long version in the PWIS. The AP does the more thorough, long version which includes an added hydraulic calibration.
Thank you Sam. They have my car now and I should pick it up a little later. Would you recommend I suggest they do the long version or the short?

Old 08-22-2018, 11:24 AM
Cheers Big Dave
The long is for "parts replacement" but it's better over-all. No down side but a few more minutes. Some cars take a few tries but they know that. By the way that is the case even on a new Macan or Panamrea (at times needing a few tries). Parameters like temps and clutch condition are sensitive.
Perfect! Thank you Sir!

I’m about to head back that way and see what they recommend for my car.

Old 08-22-2018, 12:11 PM
Sam,

The dealer service advisor stated that they won't be doing any sort of relearn. Only if they replace the tranny and / or the ecu or something, would they do a relearn.

Not sure if it's needed but I guess I'll wait until I drive it when I get it back today and see how it drives.

Then if / when I do tuning / pdk tuning, well see if the relearn will be needed.

Old 08-22-2018, 02:12 PM
You will hear different answers from dealers and techs. A re-learn is only going to set the TCU up for a perfect as possible adaptation and calibration. Absolutely always great and no downside.

I would agree, as it seems it'd only make sense.

Well, I got it serviced and it seems to drive nice. Maybe a tad smoother than before.
I'm at least ready if / when I decide to tune.

Thanks again for the insight as usual Sir.

Old 08-22-2018, 04:09 PM
Whosdady is a jewel in the roughWhosdady is a jewel in the roughWhosdady is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Big Swole
I would agree, as it seems it'd only make sense.

Well, I got it serviced and it seems to drive nice. Maybe a tad smoother than before.
I'm at least ready if / when I decide to tune.

Thanks again for the insight as usual Sir.
So how did the service go? Can you tell a difference?

With regard to the relearn? Cobb has actually put out a statement, saying the relearn is only advised if going to a high tq pro tune or back to stock from a pdk tune. If anyone questions this, please contact them directly. It didn’t make sense to me because it was advertised differently. (Like mentioned above from Sam)

But as I mentioned earlier, Allie from Cobb believes part of my issues were caused from doing the relearn after going to the aggressive pdk tune. And my dealer said the same thing about a relearn.

I’m still waiting to hear back from Cobb after sending in a couple of logs and screens shots of the codes...

Old 08-22-2018, 05:21 PM
djillusion has a spectacular aura aboutdjillusion has a spectacular aura about
All shops I haven’t chatted with don’t believe a relearn was necessary. I didn’t do it when I added the PDK tune via COBB and agin have had no issues.

I only with the Sport PDK tune. I didn’t see the need for anything more aggressive.

Old 08-22-2018, 06:07 PM
Originally Posted by Whosdady

So how did the service go? Can you tell a difference?

With regard to the relearn? Cobb has actually put out a statement, saying the relearn is only advised if going to a high tq pro tune or back to stock from a pdk tune. If anyone questions this, please contact them directly. It didn’t make sense to me because it was advertised differently. (Like mentioned above from Sam)

But as I mentioned earlier, Allie from Cobb believes part of my issues were caused from doing the relearn after going to the aggressive pdk tune. And my dealer said the same thing about a relearn.

I’m still waiting to hear back from Cobb after sending in a couple of logs and screens shots of the codes...

Service went well. It took a little longer than expected but, in their defense, I had them investigate a couple of other small issues that I'll have address later (nothing even worth talking about). I think after driving it all the way home (mostly hwy.) and then driving it around town a bit and out to see my parents, I feel like it has smoothed out a little bit more. It's only a fraction better, but how much is to really be expected from a Fluid change.

I think once I do decide to tune, I'll do the pdk tune but not the relearn and just see what happens. And then maybe Try the aggressive tune with a relearn (Maybe for when I go to the drag strip for a few passes). I trust Sam and I trust Cobb and AIM, whom I've also spoken with to get info. Good thing is, we have so many good choices for support on issues like you're having.

Originally Posted by djillusion
All shops I have chatted with don’t believe a relearn was necessary. I didn’t do it when I added the PDK tune via COBB and agin have had no issues.

I only with the Sport PDK tune. I didn’t see the need for anything more aggressive.
^^ Fixed it for ya...lol

I agree that the "Sport" tune would be all that I need, unless going to the drag strip, which I'm likely to do a few times. I love to drag race. Atlanta Street Car Takeover is coming in late Sept. I just don't know if I'll tune it by then.

That’s a perfect example. He’ll get experiences on every side of the spectrum. It’s pretty complicated and dealing with the right person you can get the support to make sure your specific situation goes smoothly. I’ve done about 100 of them so far only one person wanted to return it so I offered and he kept it anyways ha ha.

Yes, I'm sure there will always be a few cases that don't go like the majority. That happens in EVERY vehicle tuning platform.

Right now my biggest concern is trying to decide on spending on a Fidelity Warranty or Tuning. Once I decide what's more important, I'll be on it in a heart beat.

Last edited by Big Swole; 08-22-2018 at 06:09 PM.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:29 PM
oops! thanks for correcting that for me.

take note: i have other quality mods (Europipe, COBB A/P Tune with Stage 2 programming, AMS ICs, DSC TPC, etc) and don't see the need for anything more aggressive than the Sport PDK COBB tune. granted my Turbo never has seen the track and never will, but for spirited street driving (for the 2 times i drive it a month) it works as intended!

my Turbo is dialed in quite nicely and both engine performance, suspension handling and PDK performance are now very well matched.

Old 08-22-2018, 08:00 PM
oops! thanks for correcting that for me.

take note: i have other quality mods (Europipe, COBB A/P Tune with Stage 2 programming, AMS ICs, DSC TPC, etc) and don't see the need for anything more aggressive than the Sport PDK COBB tune. granted my Turbo never has seen the track and never will, but for spirited street driving (for the 2 times i drive it a month) it works as intended!

my Turbo is dialed in quite nicely and both engine performance, suspension handling and PDK performance are now very well matched.

This is exactly what I'll be looking for as well. EP, TPC DSC, Stage 2 tune (or protune). I doubt I'll spring for new IC's until I get this thing paid for, which will be a few years.

I just want a nice reliable 10.5 sec. street / mountain toy. BUT, if I decide on spending money for a Fidelity Warranty instead of tune, I guess I'll just have a 10.8-10.9 sec. street toy...lol

Old 08-22-2018, 08:12 PM
get the fidelity platinum warranty!

i have it too and it paid for itself already when the rear spoiler actuators/rams went out a month or two post CPO. they handled the coverage with my independent shop without any issues.

Old 08-22-2018, 08:25 PM
get the fidelity platinum warranty!

i have it too and it paid for itself already when the rear spoiler actuators/rams went out a month or two post CPO. they handled the coverage with my independent shop without any issues.
$5+K on a warranty and then do a tune, have a pdk issue and then have them deny it.

I hear, tunes in these things are not as easier detectable like in other vehicles.

Do you worry about it?

Old 08-22-2018, 09:13 PM
More reason why messing with PDK relearns and more aggressive COBB engine tuning or PDK tunes is not of interest to me.

Boost is not excessive, AMS ICs keep IATs down, europipe breathes. Was just looking for a bit more power to match the exhaust and shift smoother/quicker.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PDK Relearn (Cobb AP) vs. Porsche Dealer "Relearn"