6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   997 Turbo / GT2 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-turbo-gt2-58/)
-   -   Turbo w/o sport chrono (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-turbo-gt2/425185-turbo-w-o-sport-chrono.html)

BlueTurboS 10-08-2018 08:10 PM

Turbo w/o sport chrono

Would you consider a 997 Turbo without sport chrono option?
Is it a big deal? Could it be added back at dealer?
Car is under priced compared to others with the option.
Car would be mildly modified and mainly used for track and AutoX.
I plan to keep it for several years.
Thank you for the advice...!

supra.z06 10-08-2018 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by BlueTurboS (Post 4743114)
Would you consider a 997 Turbo without sport chrono option?
Is it a big deal? Could it be added back at dealer?
Car is under priced compared to others with the option.
Car would be mildly modified and mainly used for track and AutoX.
I plan to keep it for several years.
Thank you for the advice...!

You referring to the silver one f/s on autotrader out of Virginia?

BlueTurboS 10-08-2018 08:33 PM

Just asking in general...

Skwerl 10-08-2018 09:20 PM

Not a huge deal IMO. Any ECU tune will give you that power bump back, and the dash looks better without that goofy clock. What you lose on resale, you save on the upfront purchase.

au2bahn 10-09-2018 05:22 AM

It's not a clock

Skwerl 10-09-2018 07:36 AM

Just being poetic because it looks like a giant clock and is almost entirely useless for 99% of people.

Johnny DB 10-10-2018 06:50 AM

Wouldn't bother me...I'd tune it anyways.

au2bahn 10-10-2018 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Skwerl
Just being poetic because it looks like a giant clock and is almost entirely useless for 99% of people.

😂 I thought it was some kind of growth

Duckstu 10-10-2018 10:34 PM

I'd prefer not to have it. (though I now have an Aquamist methanol gauge where the useless stopwatch used to be).

1. The power bump is a myth. Big boost comes on at 3,200 in 4th,.. and more like 3,500 in second,... and the temporary power bump ends at like 4,100 rpm. Then you shift at 6,000 rpm and you're already starting at 5,000 in the new gear,.. well above that bump. So really it's a 1/10th of a sec bump,... one time, that's hardly noticeable. All it really does is try to upset the chassis for a moment. The car isn't any faster.

Here's a pic of it. White vertical line is 3,200 rpm. The over-boost is the little hump in the red box.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.6sp...aa409fe214.jpg

2. Another thing pressing the Sport button does is set the vanes in the turbos to a different starting position. You can hear the exhaust get louder at idle when you press it. But the car IS NO faster. In fact I think it drives better with it off. (though the throttle logs more correctly with sport pressed,.. so your tuner will prefer you to have it pressed when logging pulls when he's tuning your car).

3. Crono = useless (Like you track your six figure car, yet can't afford a lap-timer?)

4. Automatically turns PASM on,... which I hated. When I would press Sport,... I'd then have to press PASM to turn that back off.

In my opinion therefore,... Sport Crono is worthless unless you have an auto. In that case it gives you launch control (I think),.. and makes the trans shift firmer. Might be cool. I've never been in an auto turbo.

BlueTurboS 10-11-2018 07:04 AM

Wow. Thanks for the great detail and informed opinion.

TAILWAG 10-11-2018 03:49 PM

Chrono is junk - don't let anyone tell you it isn't.
I have chrono on mine and it is absolutely useless. I wish Porsche sold or someone made a clock that would mount right there or something else - a REAL boost gauge would be nice or an E85 content gauge - that would be even better.

nzskater 10-11-2018 04:50 PM

They do. Lots of people have wired up gauges instead.

Mark @ AIM Performance 10-18-2018 10:30 AM

my car did not have chrono and I think the dash is much cleaner without the wart pod. stock for stock the crono cars def feel more lively and fun, but if you will tune you are not missing anything.

997TurboTom 10-18-2018 10:45 AM

you do have the option of having 2 different tunes with the sport button though, but the car is more rear biased with sport on so it's worse for off the line traction for me

matton6speed 10-22-2018 11:28 PM

I'm in the other boat where I think Sport Chrono is an absolute must- but I'm coming from the side that doesn't modify their engines/tune/boost/etc and keep it stock. I love the ability to have more throttle response on tap through some spirited corners and straights, and "normal" mode is just right for commuting/daily driving. I also like the look of the gauge.