997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Suspension Upgrade Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 11:37 AM
lliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud of
Suspension Upgrade Questions

Hi All,

I am about to tweak my suspension a little and I have been doing a ton of reading for the past few days and have a few questions:

Current Setup: Techart CO's (Bilstein PSS9's with Techart Springs), DSC module. Ride Heights (from the fender arch) F: 26 1/4 Inches R: 26 1/2 inches Mileage: 40K Daily Driver, with thoughts of track time, but would be very limited

1. GMG Sways - will be using softest front and mid rear settings. I am worried about binding. What have you guys done with the bushings? Added grease fittings? If so, what technique did you use? Drop the sway clamps and re-grease? What type of lubricant works best with the GMG bushings?
2. Drop Links - Bilstein has newer style links with a bend in them. The aftermarket links seem straight. With some catastrophic failures of links and CO's, am I better staying with the Bilstein links? Worried about noise as well (not NVH).
3. Bump Steer Tie Rod ends - I have not verified, but I have to believe with the ride heights my steering geometry has been changed. Does anyone use a bump steer kit and if so, any recommendations on who's to use (or maybe who's to avoid)? Currently looking at Rennline.
4. Related to 3, I have a vibration I feel at high speeds. Last time I had the wheels off, I noticed the inner tie rods had play in them. I will be replacing them with Porsche parts. I am wondering if the possible geometry changes contributed to the wear.
5. Rear drop links - probably tarret. I don't see anything negative about this. Anyone have any other experiences?
6. Transmission mount inserts from function first, either the 70 or the 80 durometer options. Any experience or opinions on this or which stiffness would be best. More concerned about NVH from the trans mounts
7. Engine Mounts - URO S4. I have been up and down and around on these options, with everything from semi solid mounts, genione RS4 mounts, Function first's filled stock mounts. I know this one may be the most varied response/usage, but since it is part of what I am doing I have added it for any commentary

There are other options, especially in the rear (dog bones, tie rods, etc) but I think this will be it for this go around.

Over all I am very happy with the way the car handles, but the rear end bounces around too much, and while I have been conscientious about not plowing the front end and using the throttle to whip the rear around, I would like to have less movement back there. The DSC did wonders to remove some of the "bounce" in extreme maneuvering, I want to take that to the next level with the above changes.

Any and all commentary will be appreciated.

TIA,

Ed