997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

DME Thoughts- 997.1 Turbo

Old 11-15-2018, 10:00 PM
Str8crusin is an unknown quantity at this point
DME Thoughts- 997.1 Turbo

In my quest for a manual 997.1/.2 turbo, I came across a 2007 997.1 Turbo that the previous owner said was pampered. Overall, it is in great cosmetic and mechanical shape. My only issue is in the transport from one dealership to another, the car registered an range 4 over rev. The dealer believes it is a glitch, but I'm not sure. Being so recent, would you have concerns with purchasing the vehicle? Your thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Current Hr: 1383.7hr
Range 1: 2617 @1382hr
Range 2: 471@1382hr
Range 3: 99@1381.7hr
Range 4: 2@1381.7hr
Range 5: 0
Range 6: 0

The car has a Evolution Motorsports – Stage 1 kit (EVOMS EVT550)
• EVOMSit EVT550/570R ECU Calibration – 7000 RPM Rev Limit
• EVOMS Billet Turbocharger Boost Recirculation Valves
Estimated Power: 550 bph
Estimated Torque: 570 lb-ft

Checked faults. Faults stored for low voltage in some
modules. Steering column lock fault stored; lock works
normally so this may be due to low voltage. Fault stored for
outside air blend door, diagnostics required to confirm
validity or cause.
Performed brief visual inspection. Car appears to be in
good shape. Front and rear brake rotors are grooved. Pads
are good.
Test drove car. Car feels like it has EVOMSit tune. Timing
and boost pull noted from 4500-6000rpm, diagnostics
needed to confirm reason. Overall car drives well.

Old 11-16-2018, 06:56 AM
lliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud of
Based on what I have read 2 is a very, very brief time at that level. My guess is whoever drove it over, drove it hard at one point. Kind of disappointing that a transport from one dealership to another would do that. You would expect them to baby the car during the move, or even better, flat bed it.

Ed

Old 11-16-2018, 08:40 PM
vman932 will become famous soon enoughvman932 will become famous soon enough
If the range 4 is legit, which it think it is based on the other numbers, it is still only .005 seconds at 7400 rpm and .27 seconds between 7200 and 7400 rpm. It is very easy to bang the limiter in 1st on a modified 997 turbo, and even though it hits the limiter, the inertia of the accelerating rotating assembly carries it beyond. Judging by the over-rev data, I would say this is what happened. It is unfortunate that the transporter is treating cars in this manner, but I would not worry about the over rev at all. I would be more concerned that whoever was joy riding possibly abused the clutch.

Although I would not be concerned about the range 4, I would definitely make the dealer feel like it is a near deal breaker, and use it for negotiation. Also play up your concerns about other potential damage caused by the joy ride (ie clutch). The biggest impact on value is right now. The longer you own the car and further in it's history it is, the less it means.

Old 11-19-2018, 10:39 PM
rix
rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !
It's not a glitch. They are just trying to cover their asses and make a sale. It doesn't just accidentally register an over rev.

I agree with the assessment that the car is probably fine. However I'd be sorely tempted to tell the dealer that you don't appreciate being lied to, the car abused, and that they aren't the type of people I want to do business with on such an expensive car transaction.

Last edited by rix; 11-19-2018 at 10:42 PM.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:20 AM
Skwerl will become famous soon enoughSkwerl will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by rix
It's not a glitch. They are just trying to cover their asses and make a sale. It doesn't just accidentally register an over rev.

I agree with the assessment that the car is probably fine. However I'd be sorely tempted to tell the dealer that you don't appreciate being lied to, the car abused, and that they aren't the type of people I want to do business with on such an expensive car transaction.
These DMEs glitch all the time. In this case, the 2 in range 4 are almost certainly a glitch because the number is simply too small for the crank to physically be spinning at those RPM for that duration of time.

Old 11-20-2018, 11:03 AM
rix
rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Skwerl
These DMEs glitch all the time. In this case, the 2 in range 4 are almost certainly a glitch because the number is simply too small for the crank to physically be spinning at those RPM for that duration of time.
It just means it got really close to range 4, or dipped into it for a couple samples. It’s not just going to do that on its own. The dme knows where the crank is within a degree, and it knows the time. It doesnt just happen while you’re sitting at idle in the Starbucks drive thru.

Old 11-20-2018, 12:18 PM
997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by vman932
If the range 4 is legit, which it think it is based on the other numbers, it is still only .005 seconds at 7400 rpm and .27 seconds between 7200 and 7400 rpm. It is very easy to bang the limiter in 1st on a modified 997 turbo, and even though it hits the limiter, the inertia of the accelerating rotating assembly carries it beyond. Judging by the over-rev data, I would say this is what happened. It is unfortunate that the transporter is treating cars in this manner, but I would not worry about the over rev at all. I would be more concerned that whoever was joy riding possibly abused the clutch.

Although I would not be concerned about the range 4, I would definitely make the dealer feel like it is a near deal breaker, and use it for negotiation. Also play up your concerns about other potential damage caused by the joy ride (ie clutch). The biggest impact on value is right now. The longer you own the car and further in it's history it is, the less it means.
yup, if you don't shift fast enough on a tuned re-limiter-raised car, the rpm will spike well above the designated redline with the momentum of the rotating assembly

sounds like the dealer did exactly that

Old 11-20-2018, 01:54 PM
SpencerB will become famous soon enough
Looks like someone just took it for a spirited drive at the dealer. Can you blame them? With no recent range 5 or 6 overevs I would say you have nothing to worry about if everything else checks out. Plenty of these cars have had range 5 & 6 overevs on the DME and they are perfectly fine.

Old 11-20-2018, 09:30 PM
rix
Originally Posted by SpencerB
Looks like someone just took it for a spirited drive at the dealer. Can you blame them? With no recent range 5 or 6 overevs I would say you have nothing to worry about if everything else checks out. Plenty of these cars have had range 5 & 6 overevs on the DME and they are perfectly fine.
I agree, but the dealer saying "It's a glitch" is a bunch of crap. If this is how they treat you before they have your money... Wait until after they have it.

Old 11-21-2018, 07:49 AM
SpencerB will become famous soon enough
Dealer salesman is probably not educated on DMEs is my guess, but yes I agree definitely not a glitch.

Old 11-21-2018, 08:17 AM
Skwerl will become famous soon enoughSkwerl will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by rix

It just means it got really close to range 4, or dipped into it for a couple samples. It’s not just going to do that on its own. The dme knows where the crank is within a degree, and it knows the time. It doesnt just happen while you’re sitting at idle in the Starbucks drive thru.

You put way more faith in their infallibility than I do. For example, take a look at this report from this thread:

Name:  SrmajG5.png
Views: 10
Size:  626.8 KB

It is utterly implausible to register 2 range 6s and only 6 range 5s, again based on how fast the crank is spinning in those ranges and the fact that to brush into range 6 means it needs to fall all the way back down through range 5. And this report indicates two separate events in range 5. This is just one of dozens of reports out there with impossibly brief numbers in the upper ranges. Someone in a thread on PistonHeads a few years ago was also able to demonstrate with an engine removed from the car that it's possible to add spurious over revs. Anecdotally, it seems like cars with DME tunes are more susceptible to suspicious numbers.

I'm not saying the dealer didn't zing this car, since the range 3s are certainly real, but I strongly doubt it actually went into range 4.

Last edited by Skwerl; 11-21-2018 at 08:21 AM.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:51 AM
turboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Str8crusin
In my quest for a manual 997.1/.2 turbo, I came across a 2007 997.1 Turbo that the previous owner said was pampered. Overall, it is in great cosmetic and mechanical shape. My only issue is in the transport from one dealership to another, the car registered an range 4 over rev. The dealer believes it is a glitch, but I'm not sure. Being so recent, would you have concerns with purchasing the vehicle? Your thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Current Hr: 1383.7hr
Range 1: 2617 @1382hr
Range 2: 471@1382hr
Range 3: 99@1381.7hr
Range 4: 2@1381.7hr
Range 5: 0
Range 6: 0

The car has a Evolution Motorsports – Stage 1 kit (EVOMS EVT550)
• EVOMSit EVT550/570R ECU Calibration – 7000 RPM Rev Limit
• EVOMS Billet Turbocharger Boost Recirculation Valves
Estimated Power: 550 bph
Estimated Torque: 570 lb-ft

Checked faults. Faults stored for low voltage in some
modules. Steering column lock fault stored; lock works
normally so this may be due to low voltage. Fault stored for
outside air blend door, diagnostics required to confirm
validity or cause.
Performed brief visual inspection. Car appears to be in
good shape. Front and rear brake rotors are grooved. Pads
are good.
Test drove car. Car feels like it has EVOMSit tune. Timing
and boost pull noted from 4500-6000rpm, diagnostics
needed to confirm reason. Overall car drives well.

Range 4 is fine!

You can use it to apply pressure on the price...but I wouldn't pass on the car because of it.

Old 12-01-2018, 08:24 PM
Str8crusin is an unknown quantity at this point
Applied pressure, but would only take $500 off. Car sold shortly after that. I will continue to enjoy my 997.1 Carrera S until another Turbo comes up for sale.

Old 12-05-2018, 11:28 AM
4ocious is just really nice4ocious is just really nice4ocious is just really nice4ocious is just really nice
DME reports are overated and there is just too much unnecessary and unproven hype on this board and Rennlist about them. A dealer will use a DME report to deny service or a warranty claim, that's all. They are a service and sales gimmick and I've yet to hear or read of any 07 or newer TT with a range 4 or higher DME report that can be directly traced to a blown engine. If you like the car and it has a good service history, buy it and enjoy it! (JMO)

Last edited by 4ocious; 12-07-2018 at 02:21 PM.
Old 12-05-2018, 05:26 PM
Zubehor is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 4ocious
DME reports are overated and there is just too much unnecessary and unproven hype on this board and Rennlist about them. A dealer will use a DME report to deny service or a warranty claim, that's all. They are a service and sales gimmick and I've yet to hear or read of any 07 or newer TT with a range 4 or higher DME report blow an engine that can be directly traced to an overrev. If you like the car and it has a good service history, buy it and enjoy it! (JMO)
Couldn't agree more. Its getting ridiculous how much people let these reports affect their buying decision. I'm not saying some can't be bad, if you have 200 ignitions in range 6 sure pass on it, but in this case i'm sorry to the op, this car was 100% fine with no engine damage possible. The fact you passed on it because of 2 ignitions in range 4 is IMO ridiculous. Thats my opinion and i mean no disrespect.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DME Thoughts- 997.1 Turbo