6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   997 Turbo / GT2 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-turbo-gt2-58/)
-   -   Anybody use this rear wing/spoiler (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-turbo-gt2/426872-anybody-use-rear-wing-spoiler.html)

Dguth 12-04-2018 03:05 PM

Anybody use this rear wing/spoiler

5 Attachment(s)
I've been contemplating getting a new rear wing with spoiler setup on my car. Attaching picture on how it looks now with the Techart wing. I'm looking for dual benefits, better downforce on the track and better cold air for my intakes from the side and top inlets. I always felt the GT2 wing looked sort of droopy on the 997 turbos and going to a GT3 wing was too big/disproportionate for the car. I ended up finding this vorsteiner style rear lid/wing. Almost a cross between a GT2 lid and GT3 wing. Have any of you used this kind of wing before? I found a shop that can make it. The picture of the black car is mine and included picture what it would look like on the car.

DOOBEE 12-04-2018 06:06 PM

I have the same TA setup and need a new wing too. I ditched the front lip as well for an OEM aero lip.

I love the wing in the pics but I would find it elsewhere. I once bought a lip from these guys for an M3. It went in the garbage.

Can you not get these from Vorsteiner anymore? Even if you can, there is likely still going to be a bunch of work required. There will be compromises in the end. Fiberglass parts generally suck. I was hoping to find one on the classifieds that somebody had already massaged but it's been years without anything coming up.

Dguth 12-04-2018 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by DOOBEE
I have the same TA setup and need a new wing too. I ditched the front lip as well for an OEM aero lip.

I love the wing in the pics but I would find it elsewhere. I once bought a lip from these guys for an M3. It went in the garbage.

Can you not get these from Vorsteiner anymore? Even if you can, there is likely still going to be a bunch of work required. There will be compromises in the end. Fiberglass parts generally suck. I was hoping to find one on the classifieds that somebody had already massaged but it's been years without anything coming up.

I've looked everywhere and these guys are the only ones making it. And I stumbled on them accidentally. I've read similar reviews but cross my fingers will give them a shot. If I don't like it will send it back.

DOOBEE 12-05-2018 09:46 AM

They wouldn't accept a return so be sure you are able.

Dguth 12-05-2018 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by DOOBEE
They wouldn't accept a return so be sure you are able.

Good call out. I'll double check. Since I know I'll have to paint it anyway, I've got a good body shop here that work out any rough points. I fully expect based on the price point, it will need some work/adjusting for perfect fitment.

jakethunder 12-06-2018 02:00 PM

Which company sells this? Feel free to PM me the info. I’ve been trying to decide between a vorsteiner or a GT3RS wing.

If you end up mounting it on your car please post pictures.

Dguth 12-06-2018 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by jakethunder
Which company sells this? Feel free to PM me the info. I’ve been trying to decide between a vorsteiner or a GT3RS wing.

If you end up mounting it on your car please post pictures.

Sent you PM.

usrodeo4 12-06-2018 03:21 PM

I really like that look...good luck with it. I have opted to go with the factory Aerokit look...I had the OEM front AK spoiler painted and installed along with the other OEM painted lower bits but as the AK rear spoiler is discontinued by Porsche I either have to find a used OEM one, which I am finding out is like looking for a needle in a hey stack, or purchase a glass knock off. Right now I am leaning for the latter from M.A. Shaw, from what I hear they have a good reputation. Question though, as you mentioned the Track (more downforce), just curious if you have any straightaway speed concerns? Some times the winged "street" cars can give up a couple/few MPH on the straight.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.6sp...3e91465d60.jpg

Dguth 12-06-2018 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by usrodeo4
I really like that look...good luck with it. I have opted to go with the factory Aerokit look...I had the OEM front AK spoiler painted and installed along with the other OEM painted lower bits but as the AK rear spoiler is discontinued by Porsche I either have to find a used OEM one, which I am finding out is like looking for a needle in a hey stack, or purchase a glass knock off. Right now I am leaning for the latter from M.A. Shaw, from what I hear they have a good reputation. Question though, as you mentioned the Track (more downforce), just curious if you have any straightaway speed concerns? Some times the winged "street" cars can give up a couple/few MPH on the straight.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.6sp...3e91465d60.jpg

With the power my car has, I have no issues on the straight away and can give up a little speed. I need all the help I can get in the turns though. I did order it and fully expect it will need some custom body work to get it to fit perfectly. I will need to paint it anyway. Will post back once it's installed.

Dguth 01-23-2019 04:19 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Little update on the wing. Just got it in from being shipped. First impression is that it's pretty well made. They went through great efforts to ensure the underside components of the decklid matches a turbo. Example I can use my current decklid air intake portals versus fabricating something for the typical GT2 style lid. The wing and caps are made of quality carbon fiber, no issues or imperfections. One thing is that the decklid is rough and will need a good bit of sanding/cutting holes in spots so the original turbo hardware can fit in appropriate spots but I expected that. I think it's going to look perfect on the car and will post pictures once it's finished. For now here's some pictures of how it currently looks.

jakethunder 01-23-2019 10:47 PM

Can’t wait to see it on the car. I was going to hit you up and see if you got it yet. How long did it take to arrive (from payment to at your door)?

Dguth 01-24-2019 07:11 AM

Can’t wait to see it on the car. I was going to hit you up and see if you got it yet. How long did it take to arrive (from payment to at your door)?

It took about 6 to 8 weeks in total. I ordered during the Holiday season as well so probably would say 6 weeks for normal turn around. I ordered through JL Motoring. They had a local body shop that made it but not sure who they outsourced that with.

jakethunder 02-09-2019 08:03 AM

How’s the wing coming along? Any updates?

Dguth 02-09-2019 08:18 AM

How’s the wing coming along? Any updates?

Yeah, a lot of cold weather around here had the body shop behind. They started on it last week and gave me an update on Friday, should be finished by end of this week.

TxTurboBill 02-09-2019 08:27 AM

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.6sp...d8c3364bd.jpeg
I needed my wing for track day before my paint guy was finished so I ended up doing the polish and buffing the clear coat myself after the event.