6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   997 Turbo / GT2 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-turbo-gt2-58/)
-   -   OEM .2 Ducts & IC’s (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-turbo-gt2/427026-oem-2-ducts-icis.html)

TxTurboBill 12-10-2018 07:23 PM

OEM .2 Ducts & IC’s

Some members have been asking me questions so I’m submitting this quick post. Parts arrived Saturday, I installed them yesterday. First, my Crew Chief Stella confirmed the part numbers were correct.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.6sp...26fd79599.jpeg

There is nothing worse than having a small component hold up a project so I ordered pressure hoses, gaskets, seals and duct caps separately in advance. Upon unpacking I was delighted to find the ducts already had Gaskets, seals and caps pre-installed. The pressure hoses were the wrong ones but I ended up not needing them anyway. All 4 existing hoses fit perfectly. After removing wheels, inner fenders, tail lights and bumper cover I was ready to begin the project. I removed the left side IC mounting bracket with IC and ducts intact. Next assembled the new left ducts and IC.
Everything went together smoothly, quickly and perfectly as they should being all OEM parts

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.6sp...cc09d9869.jpeg

This was one of the easier mods I have done, and the location was very accessible. The assemblies mounted in place and fit perfectly.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.6sp...c3f553b61.jpeg

After a pressure test I reassembled the body components - done. Overall a very easy mod. It took me about 4 hours start to finish. The guys at Sonnen gave me great Customer Service. Again, the only parts needed were the 2 IC’s and 4 ducts.

9975754710101C Lower duct
9975754720101C Lower duct
99757565701 Intake duct
99757565801 Intake duct
99711064071 Intercooler
99711063971 Intercooler

itschris 12-11-2018 03:21 PM

Wow, didn’t know the .2 ducts are actually wider and bigger. Interesting.

TxTurboBill 12-11-2018 08:24 PM

Update:
Since the beginning of this project I have been concerned if my .1 top pressure hoses would work with the .2 ducts and IC’s since the .1 and .2 pressure hoses have different part numbers. The lower hoses off the turbos are much longer and flexible so if the lower IC inlet location moved a little in any direction no problem, they can reach. The upper pressure hoses are short, rigid and have a slight bend in them. The .1 pressure hose on the right fits perfectly, it locks into the IC and fully slips onto the Y pipe flange with ease. When I did the install I forced the left hose onto the Y pipe and tightened everything up thinking all was well. Today after running the motor a while I noticed the left top pressure hose was under tension, and actually pulling the left side of the Y pipe down a little. The result is the lift off Airbox cover is not fitting on the Airbox so well now due to the Y pipe not being perfectly level. Also the angle of the cut end of the left hose is not matching the angle of the Y pipe flange when the hose is slid on, and the hose is 1/4” shy of fully sliding onto the Y pipe unless it is forced. The outlet neck of the .2 left intercooler must be at a slightly different angle and/or location than the .1 was. I’m surprised at how the right .1 hose fits perfectly, but the left one does not. You would think they both would fit, or neither of them would fit. Today I ordered a new .2 left pressure hose, hopefully it will correct the issue. That part number is 997-110-645-70. There is only one in stock in the US and it’s heading my way from Atlanta. I’ll post the results.

Johnny DB 12-13-2018 09:32 AM

Thanks for the update

TxTurboBill 12-15-2018 05:05 PM

Update:
.2 Left Pressure hose arrived. It is the same length as the .1, however it is contoured differently.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.6sp...f80673345.jpeg

.2 on top, .1 on bottom.

The .2 fit much better and allowed Y pipe to be perfectly level and Airbox cover fits as it should. All is well. So components are:
- .2 Ducts and IC’s.
- .2 Left upper pressure hose.
- .1 Right upper pressure hose.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.6sp...682ff7269.jpeg

TxTurboBill 12-17-2018 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by itschris (Post 4754892)
Wow, didn’t know the .2 ducts are actually wider and bigger. Interesting.

The inlets of the top ducts and outlet of the bottom ducts are the same size as the .1s. The ducts only have larger openings where they attach to the longer .2 IC’s. My phone camera angle made the outlet duct on the left appear larger but they are the same.

The Bogg 12-17-2018 09:44 AM

The .2 intercoolers are really quite good - I had a set previously. I don't know what the intercoolers, ducts and parts cost you but I suspect it must be close to 2k or so which puts it close to the price of the DO88 big pack kit on sale which is far superior (I've had both). I applaud you for doing what you did as it provides good info for the forum and I'm just posting so that anyone considering upgrading the intercoolers on their stock car understands that there are a few options in this price range...

Johnny DB 12-18-2018 08:28 AM

Awesome! Thanks for the effort!

Mayor 01-04-2019 09:05 PM

I third that. I always appreciate detailed modification/upgrade posts like this one.

I'm curious to see results as a next step. Particularly EGTs and/or power improvements. Thanks for posting. BTW, great crew chief you have there!

TxTurboBill 01-05-2019 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by The Bogg (Post 4755819)
The .2 intercoolers are really quite good - I had a set previously. I don't know what the intercoolers, ducts and parts cost you but I suspect it must be close to 2k or so which puts it close to the price of the DO88 big pack kit on sale which is far superior (I've had both). I applaud you for doing what you did as it provides good info for the forum and I'm just posting so that anyone considering upgrading the intercoolers on their stock car understands that there are a few options in this price range...

The DO88 big pack kit is a great IC upgrade, especially If you want to join the high HP club which is not my desire at this point. The .2 intercoolers are adequate for my current 575HP target. I'm in Texas where summer temps can be extremely hot. With the AC cranked up and sitting in traffic, there is a tremendous amount of heat being generated in my engine bay. It is my opinion the aluminum end tanks of some after market IC's can absorb and store heat where as the factory .1 & .2 IC's with plastic end tanks are less likely to do so. I don't have any data to prove this, it's just my opinion. I also wanted my IC upgrade to be 100% OEM parts and yes it was a costly mod, around $2,500.

cjcam930 01-06-2019 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by TxTurboBill (Post 4758680)
The DO88 big pack kit is a great IC upgrade, especially If you want to join the high HP club which is not my desire at this point. The .2 intercoolers are adequate for my current 575HP target. I'm in Texas where summer temps can be extremely hot. ...

I made the same decision for some of the same reasons i.e., not straying too far from factory parts and sliding farther down the slippery slope of potentially compromised drivability, legality or reliability. Around here we can see >110F ambient temps and horrendous traffic, plus we have the draconian CARB smog regulations. With the .2 ICs and other mods my car is at 547whp currently and I don't plan to do much if anything more power-wise, except probably a custom Cobb Stage2 tune by Sam which I suspect will put me right near your 560-570 target. (Running OTS Stage2 Cobb tune now.) I'm delving into the suspension shortly which is my priority vs. more power at this point.

Johnny DB 03-03-2019 12:58 PM

Did you happen to take any pics of the inside of the .2 IC ducts where the IC sits?

TxTurboBill 03-03-2019 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Johnny DB (Post 4769355)
Did you happen to take any pics of the inside of the .2 IC ducts where the IC sits?

No, Johnny sorry I just checked. I was anxious to complete the install.

Johnny DB 03-04-2019 06:23 AM

okay, thanks for checking!

Johnny DB 03-06-2019 02:57 PM

Just noticed the part number on your 997.2 upper duct is: 997.575.757.01 which is not any number you listed...