997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Turbo upgrade question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 06:18 AM
bondjockey is on a distinguished road
Turbo upgrade question

Looking for the forum’s input. It seems that virtually all of the turbo upgrade threads revolve around bigger and more hp but not many about efficiency and less lag. My question is what turbo options make the most sense if the primary goal is less lag and lower EGT’s? Presumably technology has improved since the original 997.1 BW turbos were developed. My car has a 93 octane UMW tune, 997.2 IC’s and do88 intake pipes. Runs great, plenty of power on full boost for my needs (weekend car, 99% spirited driving, no trips to the drag strip). It seems to me from reading the many threads on turbo upgrades that the options are bigger, more hp, more top end with more lag. Is there a more efficient option with less lag than OEM and no drop in power? In other words enhanced driveability since most driving is not at WOT?

I am probably going to drop the engine this winter and address the coolant pipes hence my question. Thanks in advance for your input.

Old 12-27-2018, 12:53 PM
skyak will become famous soon enoughskyak will become famous soon enough
Great question...interested to hear if anything is out there along these lines.

Old 12-27-2018, 01:17 PM
nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !
I second that - interested to hear feedback as this is exactly what I'm considering for my next upgrade.

Old 12-28-2018, 12:52 AM
3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bondjockey
Looking for the forum’s input. It seems that virtually all of the turbo upgrade threads revolve around bigger and more hp but not many about efficiency and less lag. My question is what turbo options make the most sense if the primary goal is less lag and lower EGT’s? Presumably technology has improved since the original 997.1 BW turbos were developed. My car has a 93 octane UMW tune, 997.2 IC’s and do88 intake pipes. Runs great, plenty of power on full boost for my needs (weekend car, 99% spirited driving, no trips to the drag strip). It seems to me from reading the many threads on turbo upgrades that the options are bigger, more hp, more top end with more lag. Is there a more efficient option with less lag than OEM and no drop in power? In other words enhanced driveability since most driving is not at WOT?

I am probably going to drop the engine this winter and address the coolant pipes hence my question. Thanks in advance for your input.

Wouldn't be surprised if G25 550 is as responsive as VTGs

I've g25 660 on my 4.2 ESmotor built engine.. and the spool is crazy fast

They make almost 800whp with 14psi only.

If you want to stay VTG, 71mm option is also available by ESmotor

What's gonna make a great difference with your car is the way it is tuned

Old 12-28-2018, 04:40 PM
ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !
You will find a lot of options , my advise to see your tuner reply and his thoughts ..

from my own experience.. I tried a lot of VTGs upgrades from 63.5mm till 71mm !!

Nothing beat the 71mm !! Give ESMotor a DM he will guide you to get your needs

good luck my friend

Old 12-29-2018, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
Interesting question. You might be surprised to find out that even the 991TT uses the same BV-50 turbo as your car! One thing they did do on the .2TT is introduce the turbine clip angle from the GT2. It’s difficult to beat the response time of this configuration but there are some billet compressor upgrades that are quite nice and you can get really great response and power out of them safely. Our stage 4 cars with the TiAL compressor wheels have made up to 800 hp to the wheels and we ease in the power in to protect the motor as far as low-end response goes. Porsche also went to 3.8L displacement as an added help on response.
Thanks Sam, the fact that the 991 uses the same turbo speaks volumes. While there are a lot of options to upgrade power, there are fewer options to reduce lag. For example a 71 vtg is going to have more lag than stock. I have the tuning covered and some worthwhile mods but it sounds like I will be sticking with my stock snails for the time being.

Old 12-30-2018, 12:36 AM
pdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond repute
Good question OP. Easy answer. You want stock 997 gt2 turbos. They have a better power curve and spool over TT units. I’ve tried 63.5, 65mm on my own cars and riden in 68mm cars many times. Yes they make more top end but that’s only fun with open roads. If you want great fun street powerband Don’t listen to guys who advise big HP turbos. You can’t cheat physics, I’ve owned everything from stock 997tt to 1500hp Gtr. 63.5vtg is max I would go on TT housings for fun factor unless your find gt2 units.

Old 12-30-2018, 12:05 PM
au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !
Are 997!GT2 turbos sold in used parts market, who makes solid 63.5 turbos these days?

Old 12-30-2018, 12:42 PM
Protomotive and By Design have 63.5 vtg’s, Champion might too. GT2 turbos would be difficult to find used, not sure if they are offered new anymore. I have contemplated putting the GT2 compressor wheel in my stock housing. According to my tuner it would probably add about 60 hp to my current set up. Not sure if the juice is worth the squeeze though.

Old 12-30-2018, 09:44 PM
au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !
Good to know Sam. Glad to hear 63 is still available. Might be the set I'll eventually go with

Old 01-06-2019, 05:52 PM
RickRST is a name known to allRickRST is a name known to allRickRST is a name known to allRickRST is a name known to allRickRST is a name known to allRickRST is a name known to all
Nothing will spool quicker than the turbos you have except maybe something like an IS20 IHI turbo with electric gate.

The GT2's certainly make more power but do not spool better. 71mm talk is actually fundamentally wrong. It refers to the exducer size, which with the boost pressure used on VTG is not desirable.

Rick

Old 01-06-2019, 08:56 PM
08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute08957 has a reputation beyond repute
I like my 65 mm By design turbos

The spool up is virtually identical to stock and the power just takes off from 3,000 rpms over stock

The only issue as Sam has suggested is not pushing the power too much as they can make more power than the rods are happy with on alcohol

I am very happy with these turbos

Old 01-07-2019, 05:20 AM
Originally Posted by RickRST
Nothing will spool quicker than the turbos you have except maybe something like an IS20 IHI turbo with electric gate.

The GT2's certainly make more power but do not spool better. 71mm talk is actually fundamentally wrong. It refers to the exducer size, which with the boost pressure used on VTG is not desirable.

Rick
Thanks - this is exactly the answer I was looking for. Most of the responses in this thread were how great bigger turbos are which missed the point of my question. I want as little lag as possible, current power levels are fine. Apparently no turbo exists with less lag than what I have. As such I’ll stick with my oem turbos.

Old 01-07-2019, 09:42 AM
RickRST is a name known to allRickRST is a name known to allRickRST is a name known to allRickRST is a name known to allRickRST is a name known to allRickRST is a name known to all
The only way forward i for you to increase the capacity.

Old 01-07-2019, 04:19 PM
mikestyle is a glorious beacon of lightmikestyle is a glorious beacon of lightmikestyle is a glorious beacon of lightmikestyle is a glorious beacon of lightmikestyle is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by bondjockey

Thanks - this is exactly the answer I was looking for. Most of the responses in this thread were how great bigger turbos are which missed the point of my question. I want as little lag as possible, current power levels are fine. Apparently no turbo exists with less lag than what I have. As such I’ll stick with my oem turbos.

Great question! Im also in the same boat as my car is RWD and the only reason I would swap turbos is for less lag!